March 30, 2017, 01:36:56 pm
News:
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ubuntu Jaunty is good on the Link  (Read 10823 times)
quagga

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2009, 08:08:13 am »

Hello all,

I just wanted to leave a quick note that with Ubuntu Jaunty installed, and the latest Open Source ati driver added (from git) as an overlay, video playback is tear-free on the link.  Wahoo!  Grin

About 330 FPS in Glxgears (for comparision my netbook gets 400 or so), so it won't be playing any games real soon but I'm happy with it now. 

ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:50:44 am »

How is fullscreen Flash playback?  (Hulu HD, etc)
quagga

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 02:37:17 pm »

It appears to be fine (well, I don't think I've ever found a HD file on HULU but 480 works fine if that is what you mean by HD).   I hit another snag though.   On Intrepid I had all sound coming out of the SPDIF port (so I didn't have to run an analog cable) to my receiver.  It still works when I push AC3 over SPDIF in VLC, however normal sound doesn't seem to work.  More tinkering is in order. 

So the flash plays great ... if you like silent movies heh. 

DVDs are fine though. 
quagga

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 05:50:25 pm »

Alright, I've played with it some more.  Once the flash cache level is raised up to unlimited, it plays HD video's without much of a problem.

I've also figured Audio out.  So everything is working great Smiley
acarr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 08:18:21 pm »

GIve us the quick heads up on the sound output. I'm getting ready to do much the same thing, and I would prefer to have a clue up front.

Thanks,
quagga

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 01:46:41 pm »

I'll add the stuff when I get home. 

Basically you need a modules alias for the sound card to bring back the spdif option.  And then a simple .asoundrc to pump everything out over the SPDIF.  Of course, if you're not using the SPDIF, analog outputs should work normally I'd think (but I haven't tested). 
quagga

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 05:35:41 pm »

Ok a day late but here goes. 

First add the following to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf (at the bottom):
Code:
options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig

Reboot and you'll have SPDIF.  If you want to push all audio over SPDIF then you can just add the following to ~/.asoundrc

Code:
pcm.!default spdif
acarr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 10:43:32 am »

Thanks. I'll try one day soon.
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 05:42:23 pm »

Jaunty has a pre-release of the new 9.4 Catalyst driver. Does anyone notice any improvements in video playback?
-G
thebeancounter41

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 08:53:28 am »

I tried Jaunty twice and didn't care too much for it.There are a few drivers not yet available for it and quite a few bugs left floating about .XBMC didn't function any more stably on Jaunty than it did with the default install shipped with the Link.(which means NOT real stable just yet)
  I found ArtistX ubuntu to be the best choice for me so far.Only real trouble was finding out what base packages kept breaking my system and forcing me to reinstall.(Amarok nightly build packages as well as outdated KDE4 packages were the culprits.)since removing them I have had no further trouble.
HDRaptor

Um...rar? Yeah, rar'n'stuff... :}

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 11:33:08 pm »

[...]
I just wanted to leave a quick note that with Ubuntu Jaunty installed, and the latest Open Source ati driver added (from git)[...]

I know that git is some kind of thing for working with source (like svn?), but have never worked with either (as, I suspect, a lot of people new to Linux here  Cheesy).  I'd be much obliged if you could give a quick rundown on what you had to do to make that work, especially any non-obvious pitfalls that lie in wait for the unsuspecting.  :] 
quagga

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 10:55:45 am »

Certainly.  Yes, git is quite like SVN from an end user perspective.  I have to confess I like git better.  Although all I really ever use are git clone (equivalent to checkout) and git pull (equiv of update).  Oh and git log to read the changelog. 

The way I did it is actually on the xorg wiki:

http://www.x.org/wiki/radeon

Down in user submited tips.  The nice thing about this setup is that if something doesn't work or fall down go boom, you remove the line from xorg.conf and you are back with the default Jaunty xorg. 

The only note I'd add is that I don't think the apt-get in the xorg wiki includes every package you'll need.  You'll also need autoconf, automake, libtool, build-essential, devscripts, and xutils-dev I believe.  Basically I just kept running the build script and adding whatever it complained about.
HDRaptor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 08:12:04 pm »

Thank you, Quagga!!

I'm gonna try this as soon as I have some spare time with the link.
HDRaptor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 06:52:54 am »

Quagga,

Are you running the OS off a hard drive, or a larger-than-normal stick?

What happened to me was, I started the upgrade (I just went to upgrade-manager and did it from within there), and it showed me a surprisingly few number of packages it wanted to remove & upgrade, and it also wanted to disable some "third-party" repositories (the neuros stuff Wink).  Well, I let it, and aside from wanting to stick (as usual) some stupid "quick splash" options in my menu.lst (I HATE that...I always want to see what my machine is doing during booting - I removed those options last thing before rebooting), everything went smoothly during the reboot.

Well, it came back up, and everything looked awfully similar, right down to the background, which usually changes on a distro upgrade (or it has for me).  I went back t0 upgrade-manager, and sure enough, it was still offering me 9.04.   Well, I started it again - but this time, it wanted to upgrade the usual large number of packages - and said I was nearly a gig short of space.  Now, I absolutely have NOT gone hog-wild installing stuff on the box; in fact I've trimmed quite a bit of fat imho...so I'm definitely not sure what/where I could pare down anything else.   Huh

quagga

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 10:33:29 am »

I'm running on a 500 gig hard drive.  Try an aptitude clean to remove the cached packages.  I also think that neuros limits their repositories until they can be tested so the default sources may not provide any jaunty powers of yet. 

Sorry, I though you were running vanilla Ubuntu heh. 
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: