August 22, 2017, 09:32:42 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jaunty install on neuros?  (Read 9015 times)
bedge

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2009, 11:47:12 pm »

Has anyone tried jaunty on their neuros? I'm running off of a 500G disk so I decided to give it a shot. I went with the i386 desktop build to avoid all the 64 bit multimedia plugin issues.

Can't get the SPDIF audio (optical) working with pulse.

Anyone else get this up?

-Bruce
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:35:16 am »

Everyone I've seen on here gets rid of Pulse and switches to ALSA.
quagga

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 12:01:54 pm »

http://forums.neurostechnology.com/index.php?topic=10046.0
JoeBorn
Neuros Audio Team
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:40:18 pm »

Has anyone tried jaunty on their neuros? I'm running off of a 500G disk so I decided to give it a shot. I went with the i386 desktop build to avoid all the 64 bit multimedia plugin issues.

Can't get the SPDIF audio (optical) working with pulse.
How did you wind up with pulse enabled?  Did you install Jaunty from scratch or upgrade from the Neuros software?

jborn (at) neurostechnology.com
#neuros on freenode.net
HDRaptor

Um...rar? Yeah, rar'n'stuff... :}

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 02:46:51 am »

Bruce,

Now, this is if you upgraded to jaunty starting from the neuros distro:

You can hit that icon on your desktop labeled something like "set 5.1 audio out", or run set-surround-out.sh.  I've done this at one point when my spdif was silent, and ironically I think that got it going even though it doesn't sound like it's for the optical audio.

If you're coming from "raw" jaunty, you probably don't have that, so...here's what I hope is the useful "meat" of the script.

#!/bin/bash

asoundconf set-default-card SB

#Mplayer config
        if [ ! -d ~/.mplayer ]; then
                mkdir ~/.mplayer
        fi

echo ao=alsa:device=hw=0.0 > ~/.mplayer/config
        echo vo=xv >> ~/.mplayer/config
        echo double=yes >> ~/.mplayer/config
        echo framedrop=1 >> ~/.mplayer/config
        echo ontop=1 >> ~/.mplayer/config
        echo stop-xscreensaver=yes >> ~/.mplayer/config

Now, obviously, this is mostly for mplayer.  But hopefully it may help...heck, if nothing else just try uninstalling pulse period...

[edit]Also, something odd I've noticed about Jaunty, is that for whatever reason at odd times the main audio control just mutes itself for whatever reason.  Also, now, I dunno if this happens in regular mplayer, or whatever media player you use, but I've noticed that in smplayer - firstly, it has a problem if I try to use "ac3 passthrough".  smplayer fails with an error, but an option like this might just fail silently elsewhere.  Also, I've set smplayer to default to 6.1 audio, because a lot of my media has that and can put it to good use - but...if I forget, and try to play something that doesn't...it's just silent.  That caught me for a while until I switched it back to 2-channel and then got audio again.  ;}

Your problems may be more complicated than these dumb solutions  Wink, but I hope I can be of some help...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:00:39 am by HDRaptor » Logged
bedge

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:32:13 am »

Quagga, thanks for the link. That took care of everything.

Joe, redarging why I had pulse enabled, I installed plain ol Ubuntu. I have to bootable partitions, one with vanilla ubuntu and the other with Neurosbuntu.

-Bruce
jngrim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 06:27:05 pm »

Hasanyone been able to get eith full 8.10 or 9.04 to work on there Neuros link?  I have installed a HDD and I am having several issues with both.  I first installed 8.10 and could not get the sound on XBMC even after trying to all the suggestions made here and on the web.  then I tried installing 9.o4 only to get a blank screen right after the grub loads.  So, I plugged in a monitor and tried to get the gnome and I still cannot get it to boot to the desktop.  Please help because I haven't been able to listen to any of my music for weeks now.  I am all about tinkering and tweaking but this has yet to work for me the way i want it to.
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 11:09:20 pm »

jngrim,

Why not start with the LINK install, then just install the extra packages that you need?

The easiest method is to image the LINK image to the HDD, then either expand the partition or make one of the rest of the drive to store media in.  (If you know enough about linux to do the partitioning and such, that is.)
quagga

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 07:14:44 am »

I have a full standard Jaunty install on my Link.

jngrim, how did you install?  I used the standard ubuntu install image and wrote it to a usb key.  Then booted, and carried on. 
jngrim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 12:07:06 pm »

I got juanty to boot last night...The main reason I havent put the link sofwtware on the hDD is that it doesnt work for me....I have tried everytihng suggested on the boards to do so...I tried to 'dd' the image to the HDD but ut keeps giving file system corruption and magic number problems...if you look at my other posts on' Migrating link to HDD" you will see what I ma talking about.  The name reason for goin to a full ubuntu install was due to that fact that is the only way i could get an operating system installed on it... The only thing I can put it up to is that it's an old IDE drive...

Any suggestions would help...
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 06:33:42 pm »

An installer to HDD for the LINK firmware is being worked on, I promise.  (I've seen Joe and the devs discussing function and defaults several times.)

In the meantime, if you know how to setup partitions and mount them in Linux, you should be able to just install the OSD image to a hard drive the same way you would to a USB key.  Then just make a partition out of the rest of the drive and use that to replace /home or whatever you like.
quagga

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 09:12:56 pm »

Well, it really shouldn't matter what or how you install an Ubuntu class system.  But if it was plain Ubuntu, it should just boot up to a normal desktop from the live cd / usb key?  Do you get that far?  After that, its all downhill (or should be). 

Essentially we need to know where you're getting hung up. 
jngrim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 02:55:23 pm »

ok, I finally got juanty installed on the Link...awesome.  So now here is what I have found. My screen wont mirror the dell monitor since is does have the same resolutions as my HDTV,  so only one screen or the other will show at any one time, which is not a problem, sorta. I do notice that when the ubuntu login screen comes up it only shows up up on the monitor and dead on HDMI to HDTV....Once I successfully login, then it swtiches to HDMI and my HDTV and turns off the Dell monitor.  I am guess this is mainly do to not using a virtaul resolution and not using the catalyust display manager(which is not installed). I am only able to select a screen resolution of 1080 or 720 @ 60hz which of course is no big deal if I can can get rid of the new bootup/login screen.

Secondly, I played some hulu content and it appear to do a much fetter job than before in terms of tearing. However, I have no sound through HDMI.  Could someone provide me with directions of how to fis this?  When I go to Preference > Sound and look at the driver I have I get the following

1. ALC1200 Analog (Alsa)
2. Alc1200 Digital (Alsa)
3. HDMI HD HMDI (Alsa)
4. ALC1200 Analog OSS
4. ALC1200 Analog OSS
5. OSS
6. ALSA
7. PulsaAUdio

Now, I have gone and tried switching on the IEC958 that show up in the mixer, but that doesnt help.  The only sound that plays is through the headphone jack.

So, should I uninstall all ALSA, PULSEAUDIO and OSS and reinstall the sound drivers from scratch? I attempted to remove them last night but I notice that it would either affect or remove other packages that Im sure are used for other parts of the OS. How would one go about unistalling these without removing a bunch of other packages?Also, if there is no .asoundrc or asound.conf, do I need to create one?
Any step by step directions would help in getting resolving this problem would be great....
quagga

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 05:49:23 pm »

Well, I have sound setup to push everything to spdif.  I would imagine that that could also be done with the HDMI but I haven't seen it done by anyone yet.  At least not with the open source driver. 

On the matter of the monitors, it should be possible to configure Xinerama to have dual displays.  However, I've never done that and I'm told to this day it still isn't the easiest thing so I'll just leave you to work with the web on that one heh. 

As for auto login, that should be pretty easy.  After you login, run "sudo gdmsetup" under security you can enable auto-login and timed login.  auto is what happens on boot, timed is if you log out and want it to auto log you back in.  I have both turned on on the Link. 
bedge

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 01:02:51 am »

Just wanted to post an update. I've been running pure jaunty now, no link sources, and it's flawless. I'm using the high contrast large font theme and it's pretty good for 15'

Here's a cool link that shows what to stick in your sources.list for beading edge versions of other stuff:

http://anotherugly.wordpress.com/my-ubuntu-904-jaunty-jackalope-sourceslist-32-and-64-bit/

There's tons of good stuff there, new miro etc.

As for the audio problem, that all went away as soon as I scrapped pulse. Nice idea, but what a friggin mess.

Another tidbit, the link runs really cool, even with a drive and more RAM, if you drop the chassis fan temp in the BIOS it's dead quiet.

-Bruce
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: