March 25, 2017, 12:29:24 pm
News:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: OSD-ng - 3rd party firmware for OSD  (Read 25540 times)
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2009, 05:01:03 pm »

There is an unofficial firmware available here:
http://osd.oddren.com/

Included within his changes are
- Youtube fixed
- package system for more apps
- ipkg support
and much much more

Please check out Brian's mailing list posts, and do send a mail if you try his firmware:
http://groups.google.com/group/neuros/browse_thread/thread/a0bf3c28dd5490b3
-G
bmc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 01:03:02 am »

Well folks, as you can tell I've had my fun tinkering with the OSD.  Now it's *your turn*.

I'll be traveling for a bit, and when I return I'll be pretty busy with my real job for a while.

I'd love to see some activity from the OSD dev community, now that the barriers to entry for improving the OSD are so low.

I put up a wiki page with some possible directions at http://wiki.neurostechnology.com/index.php/OSDng

Anyone can edit there.  Maybe use it to coordinate.  You've also got the google group and the neuros forums.

On the OSD itself, you've now got:

* dynamic menus
* perl
* lua
* rexx (Fernando, I'm looking at you)
* a "dialog" program
* a "textview" program
* ipkg to distribute your improvements to each other
** ("ipkg install http://somewhere.com/mypackage.ipkg")
* the ability to change everything, any file, anywhere on the OSD
** no more need for monolithic firmware upgrades.

I'll check back in a bit.  If great things are happening, I'll help coordinate and put stuff into the central ipkg repo.

Happy OSD hacking.
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 11:54:37 am »

Question, what version of perl? I'm guessing 1.something, but just in case..
-G
bmc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 02:12:51 pm »

> Question, what version of perl? I'm guessing 1.something, but just in case..

I was tempted to reply with "install OSDng and run 'perl -v' to find out" Smiley

But to satisfy your curiosity:

osd$ perl -v
This is perl, v5.8.8 built for arm-linux-gnu-thread-multi
Copyright 1987-2006, Larry Wall
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 05:42:28 am »

> Question, what version of perl? I'm guessing 1.something, but just in case..

I was tempted to reply with "install OSDng and run 'perl -v' to find out" Smiley

Good point, sorry for being lazy Smiley
-G
hoofdpijn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 10:12:52 pm »

I'm having some problems getting this installed. I'm running the latest arizona firmware and have copied the OSDng package to a usb flash drive. I can find the file in the OSD menu system and run it. It goes through all the prompting to do the update and the pong game runs for about a minute. It then tells me it's updating and about 10 seconds after that I get a message that says something along the lines of package error cannot update and the unit reboots. I get a message that says the package is corrupted and that I should redownload it and the unit boots into it's normal OS.

I've downloaded again as well as reformatted the usb drive and copied the package to it again. Same thing when I try the update.  I've used this same drive for other things on the OSD and it's worked so I'm a bit stumped.

Any ideas?
bigshew

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 12:45:46 am »

I just converted to OSDng and the process went smoothly. I noticed the keybounce fix rightaway. That has been something that's plagued OSD users for many, many months. Makes me scratch my head as to how Neuros couldn't get this fixed and you did it in a month. Youtube works again, but I viewed 2 vids and the OSD locked up after the 2nd one. Should we expect the same frequency of lockups with ng?

A BIG THANK YOU for your efforts.  Cool
hoofdpijn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 04:25:37 pm »

I just converted to OSDng and the process went smoothly. I noticed the keybounce fix rightaway. That has been something that's plagued OSD users for many, many months. Makes me scratch my head as to how Neuros couldn't get this fixed and you did it in a month. Youtube works again, but I viewed 2 vids and the OSD locked up after the 2nd one. Should we expect the same frequency of lockups with ng?

A BIG THANK YOU for your efforts.  Cool

Well I wish I was enjoying your level of success.  I'm not sure where I've gone wrong but I keep getting package error messages whenever I attempt the upgrade.  I've tried redownloading and and writing the file to a new USB flash drive (kingston). I tried formatting fat32 in my mac, I've tried the same in my windows pc with no luck.

Is it possible the package files have gotten written somewhere on the OSD in a corrupted state and are not getting overwritten on subsequent attempts?

I just bought my OSD from Amazon last week so I assume I'm using the latest hardware. When I tried the automated firmware update built into the system it checked and came back and said I was up to date. I know my way around a unix command line but I'm not sure where to start looking to get this resolved.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
hoofdpijn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 11:55:43 pm »

Okay, so I guess bmc's OS replacement wasn't designed to work with hardware beyond 1.0.  Since I was really just looking to get the vnc working correctly with the mushy keys issues, I was able to apply bmc's fix for that by itself to get where I needed to be.

Thank you bmc!  This made my day.
bmc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 09:48:39 am »

hoofdpijn, All,

Greetings from Minnesota - The wife and I are having a nice vacation out here.

Was just checking in, and was glad to see others are benefiting from the OSDng release.  Bummer that hoofdpijn couldn't apply the upk directly on his (newer?) OSD hardware.

As you can imagine, it's a bit more work to package it up for others beyond just modifying it in place  for myself - the more folks that I hear are using it the more incentive we all have to make sure future improvements are released as upgrades for all.

From what I could infer about later hardware releases from the existing Neuros startup scripts, the upgrade had a chance at working on them - but I was "designing blind".  I'll ping Neuros LLC and see if they can support this effort by sending me an cosmetically damaged or otherwise unsellable non-CF model so I can figure out what it takes to get the OSDng upgrade working on them.

hoofdpijn: You're on the later hardware release? (No visible CF slot?)  And it's failing during the upk upgrade (pong screen?) - that's entirely using the Neuros updater, so I'm not sure what could be going wrong - other than perhaps running out of space on their extended internal flash partition? (I haven't traced what gets copied where temporarily during their update process). 

bigshew: You had success.  You're on the 1.0 with the CF slot?

Thanks folks.  Happy hacking.
hoofdpijn

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 11:28:00 pm »

bmc,

Does your wife know what you're doing on your vacation?  Smiley

I just bought my OSD off of Amazon this week so unless I received some new old stock, I assume I have late model hardware.  My unit does have a CF slot on it but there was no actual CF card in it or in the box.  My firmware shows to be 3.33-2.09-00.871. I assume this an Arizona release since I have a "Tools" menu which the Neuros site says is a indicator.

To apply your mushy key fix I swapped out the libosdir file but instead of being located in /media/cf/.... I found it in:

/media/ext/.osd-extended/programs/Qt-4.4.0/plugins/kbddrivers

All of the other paths were the same.

To add some further detail to the error I'm getting. I do seem to sometimes get beyond the pong game to a message that says, "you're updating to a non official release" and then "updating, do not power off" or something similar. I can get the exact message if need be. Then it simply says update failed, file corrupted and it boots.

I'm not a programmer but I do know my way around a unix command line and filesystem and I can generally figure out what a piece of code is doing by looking at it. If there's anything I can provide that would help you not just fix it for me but that would benefit the community at large, just ask.  I think what you've done is pretty great even though I haven't been able to fully benefit from your efforts yet. If I could contribute even in a minor way, that would be awesome.

Thanks for checking in!

hoof
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 12:53:09 am »

My unit does have a CF slot on it but there was no actual CF card in it or in the box.  My firmware shows to be 3.33-2.09-00.871. I assume this an Arizona release since I have a "Tools" menu which the Neuros site says is a indicator.

That is not a hardware revision I'm familiar with...

Either an OSD has a CF card slot and requires a CF card to have Arizona on it (1.0), or the CF slot was removed for internal storage (1.5).  And since 3.33-2.xx is Arizona, you have the extended internal storage...
pfft2001

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 09:41:13 am »

Either an OSD has a CF card slot and requires a CF card to have Arizona on it (1.0), or the CF slot was removed for internal storage (1.5).  And since 3.33-2.xx is Arizona, you have the extended internal storage...

I've always been a little confused by some of the commentary I've seen on this board, regarding the various versions and which ones did and did not have a CF slot and which ones did and did not need a CF slot (and whether or not you were supposed to have received a CF card with the unit).

For what it is worth, I bought 2 OSDs, from J&R Electronics, in December ('08) and they both have the following characteristics:

1) Firmware version (according to XMI/About) is: 3.33-2.09-00.871
2) Have CF slot
3) Did not receive CF card with unit
4) Have worked just fine
5) (As far as I can tell) do have the "extended internal storage".

So:
1) Does that all make sense?
2) Am I supposed to get a CF card?  (I've seen references here that say if you don't have one, email us and we'll send you one - I'm always up for free stuff...)
3) How does any of this relate to BMC's new firmware?  Will I have any trouble installing the new firmware on these boxes?

ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 09:57:39 am »

*twitch*  Yeah....  Weird.

Here is the facts as I know them:

Original Hardware (1.0):
CF Slot
Newer units should include CF Card ?128MB
Arizona will not load without a CF Card attached

Revised Hardware (1.5):
No CF Slot
Arizona will load into expanded internal memory

So everyone who has a CF Slot and can load Arizona without a CF Card has a unit I have no clue about.

It has a network port, right?  And SD and all the other appropriate plugs?
bmc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 12:20:15 pm »

So it looks like there might be *three* OSD hardware flavors in the wild? One with extended flash *and* a CF slot?

Can "hoof" and "pfft" please run "cat /proc/mtd" and "dmesg | grep -i ide | head" and post the results?

To give an example of the "1.0" flavor:

osd$ cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 01000000 00010000 "Neuros OSD NOR Flash"
mtd1: 00040000 00010000 "bootloader"
mtd2: 00020000 00010000 "u-env"
mtd3: 00180000 00010000 "kernel"
mtd4: 00d20000 00010000 "cramfs"
mtd5: 00100000 00010000 "jffs2"

16MB total, 13.125MB available for the cramfs root (everything else spills onto the CF card under Arizona).

And the CF slot:

osd$ dmesg | grep -i ide | head
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 50MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
Ingenient onboard IDE/CFC configured as device 0
__init ide_generic_init-----
Probing IDE interface ide0...
ide0 at 0xe3000000-0xe3000007,0xe300000e on irq 18

>Does your wife know what you're doing on your vacation?

hoof: Ha! Yep, my other half knows I dabble with such things even on vacation.  This kind of stuff is about like doing a crossword or sudoku (yuck) for others; just a puzzle and diversion as a pleasant mental distraction.

Minnesota is beautiful.  We've hit lots of festivals and fairs and are having a great time.  Lots of long walks around the many lakes.  Just resting up before our next excursion.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to: