News:
Poll
Question: Are you computer savy?
yes, very - 2 (66.7%)
not at all - 1 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Problems with internet connection  (Read 5286 times)
insc

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2009, 04:36:27 pm »

I have a wireless connection in my house.  It has been set up for 4 years already.  Sometimes I have problems with my connection, but it works for the most part.  I have been tring to get onto the internet for the past 2 days, and cannot.  The small internet connection icon at the botton of the screen says I have an excellent internet connection, but when I try to get out it says I need to connect to a network.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:52:14 pm »

I'm guessing you've noticed by now that this forum is a bit quiet!
-G
8otronic
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 07:40:26 pm »

Do you still have these problems? If you would explain a bit more in detail what connection flaws or errors you get one could help better. For instance, what do you mean with "when I try to get out"? Have you contacted your service provider yet?
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 05:05:40 pm »

The thing at the bottom of the screen says you have an excellent connection...
...sounds like you're using WiFi.

Are you able to log into your router? It is 'traditional' for the router to be 192.168.1.1 - try entering into your browser to go to http://192.168.1.1/ and see if anything comes up.
If so - does your router report any problems with the connection? Have you experienced a recent thunderstorm? Does your phone work? (is the line completely silent?) Do you have little ADSL "filters" on your phone sockets, have you tried changing these? In fact - does your router have any blinky lights?
My router is prone to forgetting my internet login details, but that is dead easy to spot as the "on" indicator is green (unit booted okay) and the "internet" indicator is blinking orange (internet detected and synced, awaiting login). In 'normal' use, it is all-green for all the five or so indicators. Your box, similar?

If your internet seems to be working, go to the command prompt and enter:
ping www.google.com

This is what it should look like:
    C:\>ping www.google.com

Pinging www.l.google.com [209.85.229.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.85.229.104: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=52
    Reply from 209.85.229.104: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=52
    Reply from 209.85.229.104: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=52
    Reply from 209.85.229.104: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 209.85.229.104:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 56ms, Maximum = 62ms, Average = 58ms

C:\>

If that works, something is likely to be upsetting your browser (recent change to your antivirus?). If it does not, it is time to find a local geek. Most internet connection problems are pretty easy to solve, but require physical presence. It may be that your router is telling you exactly what is going on, but if it says it in geek-speak...  Smiley

Good luck.
jnwright23

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 10:53:31 pm »

Try contacting your ISP and tell them what you have been experiencing for the past few days.

Or try what heyrick said. Smiley
DT6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 10:34:09 pm »

Are you using a modem or a router? you can reset it or take it off from the pc and then connect that thing again.  If it still doesnt work,  Go to control panel - then network setting - then disable your internet connection and then enable it after 2 mins.  If that will  not do then you should contact your local provider.
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 06:09:40 am »

You know... this is a rather off-topic thread that keeps getting necro'd every month or so.  The original poster hasn't checked in since 3 hours after posting the question...  I'mma going to lock this thread.  If the original poster is still having issues 8 months later, they can message me and I'll unlock.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: