September 23, 2017, 01:08:47 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Phantom update path from v1.1 adopters  (Read 5286 times)
bradk

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2010, 07:48:36 pm »

Just wondering if you guys were gonna toss out a kit to 'upgrade' the v1.1 hardware with the bits that make the Phantom so silent. That's the main reason the LINK is off most of the time as the fan(s?) are on the loud side (considering the nearly silent Bluray Player sitting next to it while pumping out 1080p ...

I'm not afraid of a little do-it-yourself work ...
MBG0001

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 03:30:08 pm »

Second the motion. 

I'm actually curious what power supply you are using.  I "ear tested" several and could not find anything I liked in the right form factor.
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:24:41 pm »

There has been some discussion to that end, but nothing solid just yet.
mstieb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:57:22 am »

+1 for info about what parts to R&R to achieve Phantom-quietness
acarr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:26:13 am »

I would also like to see these parts. It could rescue my Link from the basement closet on a 30' HDMI cable :-)

The fact that it is banished to the basement because of noise is significant. As a matter of fact, it is no longer really the main playback device, as the irritation factor is higher than using a device like the Patriot Box Office.

Angus.
JoeBorn
Neuros Audio Team
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:38:22 am »

Chad and I talked about this, we'll have a low cost solution up shortly, it will be $30 with a bit of do it yourself work, but its not too bad.  Sorry this has taken so long, it will be up by the end of the week.

jborn (at) neurostechnology.com
#neuros on freenode.net
acarr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 12:49:14 pm »

Chad and I talked about this, we'll have a low cost solution up shortly, it will be $30 with a bit of do it yourself work, but its not too bad.  Sorry this has taken so long, it will be up by the end of the week.
If I have to crack the box open anyway, can you bring together a bundle for ATI owners? That way, I can kill two birds with one stone.

I would like to do the motherboard upgrade at the same time as the phantom upgrade. For that matter, the USB stick for the keyboard is toast right now, too.  Hmmm...

Anyway, please consider the option of making a full upgrade bundle for those of us with old, loud, disappointing hardware. At this point, it's only being used as a file server in the basement. That should tell you something about the achievement of the original promise. It's an expensive, loud NAS box, not a media player.

If we put together the $60 motherboard upgrade, a $30 phantom upgrade, and a $30 replacement remote USB stick (Approximately), then I may just be better moving on, saving my money and giving up on your company's product.

The original promise didn't work for me because I am in Canada, and little of what's on Neuros.tv worked well. I installed a hard drive, and started saving files to the hard drive for playing. That worked for a while, but was too loud. I moved it to the basement ($50 HDMI and USB cables) and carried on.

I found over time that the USB stick solution wasn't particularly reliable, so I moved to Ubuntu on the hard drive.

Then the Olympics came on, but I couldn't watch them on the neuros box through the net, so I put a laptop next to the screen and was ok for that event.

Then the remote stick died. I replaced my neuros machine with a Patriot Box Office for the saved file playback. That works reasonably well.

The fact that CBC doesn't support Linux is just annoying. I can work with files that won't play on the ATI card (MT2S ?) files by downgrading them to MKV. I don't mind working with a computer that is slightly more irritating than a TV and Cable box. What I want in the long run is to sit down and know I can just watch.

I still want the promise, but so far I can't have it.

Sorry about the rant, but that's how I feel, and I think you need to hear it.

Angus.

ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 06:05:14 pm »

There are upgrade options for ATi and nVidia customers available in the store now.  This is just core hardware, the "Classic" to "Phantom" upgrade is not up (yet).

acarr, I'm sorry your experience has been less than stellar.  Hopefully the newer OS and hardware will help with your performance issues, and maybe this thread will find other Canadians who also want CBC available for Linux playback and can help you show there is a market for that.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: