September 25, 2017, 12:05:19 pm
News:
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Sound just stopped working again  (Read 9850 times)
martinkop

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2010, 06:20:41 am »

Sound worked yesterday.  Watched a video last night from the NAS - everything was fine.  Powered off the Link.

Turned it on this morning and no sound.

The last time this happened I "fixed" it by re-imaging the stick.  Please tell me there are some troubleshooting steps or at least data gathering I can do before I wipe the thing.

I have an old Link.
Ran "set audio to 5.1" from the desktop.
Checked Alsamixer and iec958 is enabled for 5.1 audio playback. 
XBMC "audio hardware" is set to Digital output.
Prefs | Sound are all set to Automatic (testing results in no sound).
Receiver makes sound on the Tuner input.

I ran System Update and it installed some stuff this morning.  I've done warm restarts with no luck.  I powered the unit off and have been letting it sit 15 minutes.  I will turn it on now and see if it just needed to chill.

I'm back.  That didn't help.

ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:51:45 pm »

I presume you've checked volume levels?  Have you tried other audio sources besides XBMC?  (YouTube/MPlayer/etc)
martinkop

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 07:46:54 am »

I think I have some progress to report.

Since my first post I have re-imaged and snagged updates from Update Manager and the Neuros "Update System" link.  System worked fine, then sound got funny again. 

>>I presume you've checked volume levels? 
Alsamixer levels look OK.  Where else would I look? 

>>  Have you tried other audio sources besides XBMC?  (YouTube/MPlayer/etc)
I have never used MPlayer.
Firefox streaming TV was quiet.

XBMC sound effects stopped.
XBMC music was mute.
Most strange: Movies played with sound from XBMC worked for a while but then stopped as well.  I started a couple different movies, and by the 3rd movie, there was no sound.  Went back to the first one I'd played and it was silent as well.

Switched audio back to HDMI & all media sources' sound came out the TV as expected.

So the progress:
I Googled "ati iec958" and found out how to use the "aplay -l" command.  It lists only analog/HDMI devices.  I didn't have much time to mess with this last night, and will post the exact results later.  But does this symptom: "ATI IEC958 SPDIF output hardware disappears" ring a bell?

Don't spend too much time fussing over this post unless the last paragraph is the final clue.  I'll do more troubleshooting tonight.

Martin
martinkop

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 08:55:08 pm »

OK, so nevermind the last post.

here is output from aplay:

neurostv@neurostv:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
neurostv@neurostv:~$

Right now I can hear 5.1 sound when I watch a movie through XBMC.
HOWEVER: No sounds in
XMBC sound effects
XBMC music playback.
Firefox Youtube videos.
Prefs | Sound tests (set to Auto or ATI digital).

Again, where would I set volume levels besides alsamixer?  In alsamixer all sounds are set to the max.  IEC958 is 00 (not muted).

Martin
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 08:50:30 am »

It looks like both the HDMI and the SPDIF are active.  My guess is that somehow the sound effects are getting routed over SPDIF instead of HDMI?
martinkop

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 12:21:37 pm »

Well, I still have only my TV speakers working consistently.

Is there a file to save or a utility to run to help the debugging?

Martin
martinkop

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 05:49:45 pm »

re-imaged with a version from 3 days ago.  Sound works properly.

I've grabbed some sound config files from the non-working system as well as this one.  Maybe this weekend I'll sift through the pepper to find the fly crap.

After the restore I grabbed a directory/file listing from .xbmc to compare with a failed system's list (give it a couple days).

Until the system stops working:
No system updates.  Not the Ubuntu-recommended, not the Neuros "update system" stuff, not even Firefox plugin updates.

Ubuntu currently suggests I update (in the past I would apply these updates as a matter of course):

gnome-netstatus-applet
gnome-themes
hwtest
hwtest-gtk
libavcodec-unstripped-52
libcelt0
libcucul0
libjack0
libvlc2
libvlccore0
libx264-65
python-numeric
python-sqlite
vlc
vlc-nox
wine
xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse

Martin

ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 01:33:13 am »

Well, of those updates, only libavcodec, libvlc2, libvlccore0, libx264-65, vlc- vlc-nox, libjack0, and libcelt0 should have anything to do with audio...
martinkop

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 01:57:59 am »

The system is working fine after about a week.  I ran "update system" from the desktop and restarted.

Now the Ubuntu update manager says I can update 3 packages from the original list:

libavcodec-unstripped-52
libcelt0
libx264-65

FWIW, it looks like the other 12~13 packages are in the current Update Manager suggestion list, but the above 3 are checked.  There was an" unstripped" update in the "update system" run a few minutes ago.

So far so good.

martin
martinkop

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 04:08:11 pm »

I have not applied any updates or otherwise monkeyed with the system since I installed the Neuros updates (see last post).

Problems started Saturday 10/23/10.

I listened to music on Wednesday or Thursday.

As of Saturday, however, XBMC cannot play sound through the 5.1 output.  The menu clicks are also silent.  Movies play fine.

Firefox: No sound in 5.1 mode (didn't try HDMI).
Rhythmbox: No sound.  I set audio to HDMI and Rhythmbox made sound.

So it's a system, not XBMC, problem.
martinkop

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 11:01:18 am »

Re-imaged from a working copy I made 15 October that includes all Neuros-approved updates.  This image worked for a week before failing 23 October.  I immediately added the 3 Ubuntu updates mentioned above.

Plan now is to copy this image, then take another image when system stops working again.  Then I hope to be able to use SeflImage to restore these 2 images to a spot on my hard drive where I can examine them for differences.

Martin
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 10:22:09 pm »

Re-imaged from a working copy I made 15 October that includes all Neuros-approved updates.  This image worked for a week before failing 23 October.  I immediately added the 3 Ubuntu updates mentioned above.

Plan now is to copy this image, then take another image when system stops working again.  Then I hope to be able to use SeflImage to restore these 2 images to a spot on my hard drive where I can examine them for differences.

Martin

Awesome!  Thanks for helping track this down, and sorry I've not been more help...
martinkop

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 09:00:12 pm »

Well, it sounded like a good idea.

The best I could do is run off lists of all files changed within the last X days.   Man, a lot of files change every day.

Maybe something in the /proc/asound folder gets written wrong?  I don't know.  Those folders (proc/*) look like they get rewritten every time the system comes on.  No way to track down a change in there.

Anyway, yesterday I watched some web video, then turned the system off.   I realized I wanted to  play some music and turned it back on almost immediately-- no sound through the 5.1 output.    (Not like the short time between a proper shutdown and restart is part of the problem-- I am just frustrated to see it working one minute and not the next.)

Any chance on a new image that will support this older hardware?

Martin
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 12:32:23 am »

/proc/ is a folder containing various process information.  They all get rewritten because they're not on disk, but in memory.

I've been trying to work on a new image, but time is a bit tight, especially with the holidays and finals coming up.  If anyone makes a working image, Neuros will be happy to host it, but I'm not sure when we'll have an official newer image for the ATi or nVidia.
jshot55

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 05:20:53 pm »

sound stopped working for me also-----everything worked fine till yesterday when I powered the unit off--now no sound this is crazy --I have been having headaches since day one with this box programs wont load memory problems and constant
lack of space problems keep popping up very aggravating when you dont have time to screw around with this crap--
back to the reliable laptop to keep things moving in this household.

ready to chuck this box out the window 
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: