July 28, 2014, 09:34:45 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cannot re-image  (Read 3872 times)
ncfoster

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2010, 10:54:56 pm »

Hi all,

I have been unsuccessful re-imaging v1.3 for the original Link.  I have tried using two different machines, but both are running Windows 7 64-bit.  I have tried everything I can think of as far as compatibility modes, running as administrator, formatting the drive as different file systems, etc., but nothing seems to get me past the error messages.  I believe it is a standard message that others have listed, regarding not being able to access the location.

So, I am looking for a recommendation as to another route to try on Win 7 64-bit, or a specific recommendation for a Live CD that will work.  Thank you.
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 11:13:07 pm »

What restore method are you using?  Which image are you using?  (.img or .partimage)

What is the precise error message?
ncfoster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 08:53:16 pm »

Sorry for my delay.  I'd gotten so frustrated with this process that when the answer wasn't what I was looking for, I wasn't in the mood to figure anything out.  Also, I misplaced the flash drive.

So, I just tried again, and the error is:

Write thread encountered ESelfImageFileError exception: "Error while writing to \Device\Harddisk2\Partition0: Access is Denied."

I am an administrator, and I have tried all of the various compatibiilty and administrator options I can think of.  I even turned UAC off completely.  I got nowhere.  Thus, why I was looking for a different option, rather than bang my head against the wall with this one.  Since I tried it on two different Windows 7 64-bit machines, and the procedure is rather old, I figure it has something to do with that setup.  I know I have done it successfully in the past, but probably on Windows XP and/or Vista 32-bit.
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 05:08:09 pm »

Have you tried/can you restore to \Device\Harddisk2 instead of Harddisk2\Partition0?

Are you using the SelfImage method?  Which image?
ncfoster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 08:54:57 pm »

That is the error I get when I select the whole disk.  I am using selfimage with the 1.3 image for the original ATI link ( neuroslink-1.3.img.bz2 ).

I recently acquired a low-profile nVidia card.  Is it worth trying to use the nVidia image with that card installed, or is that not likely to work?
ncfoster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 08:10:24 pm »

Update: I found an old machine that had OpenSuse installed, and I used that to get the job done.  Still seems to me that there is some problem with Windows 7 and/or 64-bit Windows and the posted procedure.

Now, onto the next question.  I can start a new thread if need be, but I installed this card (cost me $10): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127454 to see if it helped with anything.  Now, I have the question whether I would be better off trying to get the most out of it with the Link 1.0 images or the nVidia-based ones?  Are there any obvious pitfalls?

Thanks.
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 11:48:54 pm »

If you're installing it in an ATi LINK, just install the nVidia GPU drivers on the ATi image.  While the nVidia image should work, I'm not sure if all of the chipset/audio drivers are there for the ATi motherboard.
ncfoster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 12:11:51 am »

If you're installing it in an ATi LINK, just install the nVidia GPU drivers on the ATi image.  While the nVidia image should work, I'm not sure if all of the chipset/audio drivers are there for the ATi motherboard.

I had some trouble getting video up on initial boot on ATI, so I tried nVidia.  The two problems that I have encountered have been: 1) when I try to apply the overscan correction for my junky TV, things tend to get a bit loopy.  Fonts break, shell crashes, etc.  These changes don't persist through a reboot either; 2) I haven't figured out the audio stuff, which may be related to what you are saying about missing drivers; 3) if I try to update any packages, etc., I get various problems about things that can't be written, etc.  In general, the nVidia image seems to behave differently and have different things going on than the ATI image (no icons for updating, etc.), so maybe I just don't know what I am doing.

Any suggestions are welcomed.  I can try to install the nVidia drivers with the add-on card disabled/removed, which I haven't tried yet, but the imaging process isn't exactly quick, so if there is a way to work backwards from the nVidia image, that would be great (especially since the ATI image is so old).
ncfoster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 02:45:42 pm »

What exactly do I want to install for nVidia support on the ATI image?  Any hope of a newer ATI image soon?
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 10:12:04 am »

I've been trying to work on an ATi/nVidia unified image for a while, but it's slow going, with support e-mails, my other job, school, etc.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia
sjsoto

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:11:31 pm »

I need the link to download the restore img the ones provided not working.
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 05:42:39 pm »

We're having issues with the machine that is hosting the images.  The links should start working again soon.
allan_willey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 04:12:48 pm »

I have been trying all afternoon to follow the instructions you have posted on http://wiki.neurostechnology.com/index.php/Restoring_the_Neuros_LINK#Restoring_the_Neuros_LINK

I encounter the error message: Write thread encountered ESelfImageFileError exception: "Error while writing to \Device\Harddisk2\Partition0: Access is Denied."

I have two machines, a System 7 (64 bit) and an XT Service Pac 3.  Same error on both after writing 2.5 mb.

I purchased my Neoros Link before NOV 2009 and I wanted to update to the latest image without using the update function.  Unfortunately, now I have no thumb drive at all.

Help!
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 11:03:41 pm »

System 7 and XT?  System 7 is MacOS from the 90's and XT is one of the original 286 IBM PCs.  Time to upgrade!  Tongue

Anyway, on the XP system, make sure you have over 4GB free before starting the procedure.  Assuming you have that much free on Win7, also make sure you run partimage with UAC turned off.

If these don't help, try temporarily disabling your antivirus.  It may see the complete overwriting of the USB drive as virus-like.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: