May 29, 2017, 10:10:12 am
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Link or a Windows System?  (Read 1744 times)
mlm

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2011, 03:17:11 pm »

Hello,

I am considering a Neuros Link to replace my WD TV Live/Playon setup.
I would use the Link to access Netflix, Hulu etc, home videos (mpeg2 & 4, wmv, mts, avi etc), photo & music files.
I plan to access my local files via usb drive or over the lan from my desktop.

I am a retired IT Pro (started in 1960) and am very comfortable with Windows but am reluctant to purchase the Link due to my having absolutely no familiarity with Linux/Ubunto. I like to keep my systems running efficiently and have the ability to add memory, peripherals and software without too much hassle.

I've read here where users have Windows running on the Link.  So my question is, should I look for or construct a Windows based system or go ahead and try the Link?  If so, what is the Linux learning curve ?

MLM

ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 11:10:22 pm »

Netflix currently doesn't support Linux-based operating systems due to a lack of Microsoft Silverlight for playback.  The LINK can play Netflix by bouncing it off of a Windows PC running PlayOn Media Center.

If you started in the IT realm in 1960, I'm sure you have enough UNIX experience to make Linux an easy learning curve.  And where either UNIX doesn't translate or you need an update, there are both these forums as well as a large community of Ubuntu users publishing how-tos and help manuals.

If you get the LINK with an HDD, it's no harder to install Windows on the unit than on any other PC, and the cost is very comparable.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: