September 24, 2017, 09:42:24 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wouldn't it be nice: To be able to turn the cable box on via the "IR Keys"...  (Read 2034 times)
pfft2001

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2011, 06:33:44 pm »

(Because this just occurred to me today, and this board needs some activity)

Sometime back, I suggested that it would be a Good Thing if the IR Blaster could be programmed to send arbitrary codes, rather than just the numbers (for channel changing).  Specifically, this could be used to turn the cable box on.  In response, it was pointed out to me that this wouldn't be *that* useful, because the on/off button is most likely a toggle (as it is on my cable box), so, if the box was already on, sending the code would turn it off, thereby defeating the whole purpose.

However, it occurred to me today that the problem is not thus insoluble.  This, because the OSD does have the ability to detect if it has any input signal.  We know this because the button (on the remote) that toggles between having the OSD menus on-screen ceases to do anything (that is, it leaves the OSD menus on permanently) if you disconnect the input signal to the OSD.  Thus, it ought to be possible to program it (presumably in the 'vrecorder' application) to say "If there is no signal, then send the code to turn the box on".  If the box is already on, there will be an input signal, so no action will be taken.

Does this sound like a good idea (for some future version of the OSD) ?
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 06:41:52 pm »

Hey,
yep this is a good idea, one I've had too. The IR stuff on the OSD has lots more potential than is exposed currently. Why only 0-9 for a single device? It could do waaay more.
-G
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 05:48:49 am »

Already thought about that - bottom paragraph: Wink
http://forums.neurostechnology.com/index.php?topic=11447.msg57678#msg57678

This is something worth considering in a newer firmware, as G says, there is a lot more potential here. Given the plethora of equipment and options these days, it isn't unfeasible to have a DTT box and a satellite box linked to a SCART switcher, with the OSD controlling all of this. (most SCART switchers I've seen are fairly simple logic circuits so while IR control is possible, timed events are not)

Of course, we're running into a complexity issue here, not to mention that one hiccup could throw the whole thing off. Once upon a time broadcasters used to output a channel identity in teletext (TSPD packet type 1), but now nobody bothers, and most of those that do broadcast 0x2020...

Best wishes,

Rick.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: