September 24, 2017, 09:41:49 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bloody thing crashed :-(  (Read 4139 times)
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: May 14, 2011, 06:22:47 pm »

I was recording the Eurovision final. Pressed STOP at the end.
Nothing.
No response at all, to any keypress. I can't telnet in (it was powered up with the router off, so it has no DHCP address). I am leaving it on in the slim hope that it might fill up the SD card, finalise the file, and give up recording. But, to be honest, the most likely thing is that it is already comatose.

Remember this happened to me a while back with the Japanese film Zatoichi?

Well, what these two recordings have in common is they were recorded at 2000 kbit (640x480), with 128 kbit AAC audio, and recorded "directly" (not off timer).

Now, I know it isn't good form to make judgements based upon very little evidence, however I have only made two long (2hr+) recordings with those settings, and both failed. Jump to conclusions, or a possible indication of problem?

Next time, I guess I'll use 1500 kbit. Grrr... I'm going to watch a few eps of Gosick to calm down. And if anybody can send me a DVD of the broadcast, let me know. Otherwise I'll have to put up with crappy YouTube vids, or pay €25 for the official DVD set (containing, um, the two semi finals I already have (1500kbit)).

Best wishes,

Rick.
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:21:15 pm »

Junk file, not finalised. Sad

It failed at 2,082,734,080 bytes size; which is at 2h06m30s.

Okay... fess up. Which one of you used a signed integer for the filesize? Wink

Best wishes,

Rick.
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:54:24 am »

Lame.

If you've not tried any other recording with your OSD since, telnet in and see if you have any strange files in /media/ext/data. Called something like osd.* maybe. I need to check a recording log.

You recording to FAT? or FAT32? I've heard ext2/3 is more reliable.
-G
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 07:42:23 am »

Lame? Me or the OSD? Wink

Okay, I'll unplug it. It would record something tonight, so I'll abort that and look for this file when I get back from work.
And if the file was on a ram disc, it is already too late - had to power cycle to get it to respond again.
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:56:13 am »

Obviously you're at fault for making your OSD crash like that Smiley Garbage in...

I think the files are stored on the read-write storage, so CF card in your case. Hopefully it's still there. Try /media/ext/.osd-extended/scratch
-G
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 04:33:50 pm »

Obviously you're at fault for making your OSD crash like that Smiley Garbage in...

Hey, GarBage wrote firmware for the DAC, not for the OSD.  Don't blame him!  Tongue
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:37:50 pm »

Hey, GarBage wrote firmware for the DAC, not for the OSD.  Don't blame him!  Tongue

Har har Smiley
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 05:41:47 pm »

Hey, don't look at me - it was Eurovision. Maybe it choked after seeing Jedward's entry. Tongue

I think the files are stored on the read-write storage, so CF card in your case. Hopefully it's still there. Try /media/ext/.osd-extended/scratch

.osd-extended isn't in /media/ext. But I have seen that folder, so I'll look around.

I hope it wasn't /mnt/tmpfs/osd.tmp because that is a file that says "[EXIT]"...

Ah, found that directory.

/opt/osd-extended/scratch ... empty.

Well, worth a try.

Sometime in the future, I might try a recording using the same options, keep an eye on the filesize via telnet, and see how it behaves when it hits the 2Gb mark. {*}

Best wishes,

Rick.

* - of course, Murphy's Law says....  Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: