November 18, 2017, 06:45:01 am
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I want one, but I'm terrified!!  (Read 6116 times)
aknuckley

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2006, 11:31:07 am »

I have been doing tons of research on mp3 players in anticipation of getting my first. I have a huge music collection and I want to be able to put all (or most) of it on one portable player. The Neuros definitely seems to be the best as far as features and capacity goes, but I am terrified to purchase one based on what I've seen on these forums. I want a player to last for as long as it possibly can, and it just seems like things break left and right on the Neuros. Is there anyone out there who has had one for longer than a year, and had no problems? For you guys who work for Neuros and check this forum, can you provide stats on perfectly functional units vs. doa units/units that have to be sent back within the warranty period? I want somrthing trouble-free, and right now, I've heard the least bad stuff about the Creative players, while Neuros has by far the most complaints (and not just piddly stuff). What should I do? I want the Neuros really bad, but will I be content with my player?
-aknuckley
rlovvo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 12:16:21 pm »

I am an average user, and bought my first Neuros 20G, what, several years ago?  Since then, I've bought a 30G and the newer 80G.  Now, I use the 80G every day, my wife uses her 30G every day, and my daughter uses the older 20G off and on.

We haven't had any issues, warranty or otherwise.  So, there's no reason for me to gripe in the forums.  My thought is that the majority od users are happy and never complain.  Well, the size could be smaler, but other than that, I don't have any negative comments.

I love hearing the gripes before I buy, but I'm also glad I took a chance on the neuros.  I love the recording features missing in others.  It works well for recording college lectures.
aknuckley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 01:38:49 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply - I'm leaning towards getting it anyway, and hearing from someone who's purchased three is reassuring. This thing about the shotty QC still has me a little nervous.
What to do...
rlovvo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 01:56:02 pm »

I know the feeling.  I hate getting burned with a purchase, especially when I hear horror stories from other people.  There's been some bad stories here as well, but there's also a lot of peer pressure here when issues are posted to find solutions when that happens.

Besides the audio players, I also own the MPEG4 recorder and the 442 digital recorder.  So far, they all work as advertised, with no problems.
KeAz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 11:35:31 pm »

I recently got one and I put a full review in my topic I created.
Wonderbird

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 06:13:01 pm »

I have had my NEUROS II for less than a day...  But I still can not keep from entering a review...  I had 3 main requirements for a player...
1>  Good sound quality.  I encode OGG at quality 6 for close to CD quality sound.
2>  Solid OGG Support.  (I can attest that OGG files sound good through it)
3>  Large Capacity.  (I have over 1,100CDs and I did not want a player that always left me swapping stuff in and out to get them all to fit...)

I did not care about the 20GB packaging with an 80GB unit...  I waited in frustration (for the initial 8hr battery charge) wondering WHY the docs said not to start synchronizing with PC before the charge was done)

So I ripped a few more CDs to OGG and played a TETRIS clone on it while waiting for it to charge...
The next morning I eagerly went to synch so that I could listen to a few CDs on my way to work...  I looked high and low and could not find  the CD with the Synch software...  Double checked all the packaging and just when I started getting really annoyed discovered a tiny business card size CD just inside the BACK COVER of the manual...  BINGO!!!
Started SW "discovering" the music on the local hard drive...  (Should not HAVE to register before doing this step for people like me who are already at their limit with the 8 hr wait...)  Brush teeth, etc while it builds list of my music...  Come back and start synch...  Slow...  Estimate 3 hr transfer...  (Maybe this computer is still USB 1.1)  Take shower and get ready for work... Only transferred about a dozen or so CDs worth before I had to leave for work...
Then it kept saying I could not unplug USB cable until it said it was ok...  Had to completely shut down Windows before it decided it was not synching anymore...

Hopped in the car and hit NEUROS AUDIO -> Artists -> AC-DC -> Huh?   Hello???  Earth calling NEUROS...  Come in NEUROS...  All buttons ignored...  Disconnected player from backpack...  Reconnected and followed same steps... Same result...  Then hit a few different buttons and it started playing a song!!!

Hmmm.....  I guess I had put it in sequential song order...  On the almost 2 hr drive to work it had worked all the way to the first part of songs starting with "C"...

So FAR I really like it...  I am just amazed at the ability to have OGG support AND my whole collection in close to CD quality in such a portable pkg...  (I am about to test the transmit to FM capability...  I was not sure how I was going to support my desire for OGG support in our 4 vehicles but the transmit to FM may well handle that as well...)  WOW!

Hopefully the N3 will have a 100GB option by the time it comes out to accommodate a little growth in my music collection while still storing in high resolution...  I would like to see it a little smaller.  (I do not care if there is no "packpack" option with the hard drive always there because one of the little "stick players" just would not give me the variety of music that I am used to...
Zithromax

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 08:28:14 am »

I've had experiences with the thing never saying that it was done synching. I just unplug it anyway after a reasonable amount of time. It hasn't given me any trouble for that. When you unit locks up, hold up then press play. That will shut it off for you.

Make sure you have the most up to date version of your sync software. They made some changes to the firmware that required a software update. You will probably some day soon want to use one of the sync software alternatives (NDBM or Sorune).

I can see you are using the newest firmware because I still use 2.25 and I have no Neutris. It seems every time I use 2.28 I get data corruption so I decided to revert and I haven't had any problems since.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: