June 25, 2017, 10:43:44 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: It's oh, so quiet!  (Read 3765 times)
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2012, 09:42:13 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJI_80W0jR0

Wink

Rick.
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:19:36 am »

OSD sample?
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 02:11:00 am »

OSD sample?

Sorry, no. I posted it from my phone and I couldn't find the official video. That was the best I could do.

Found the real video now - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htobTBlCvUU - I guess this one is "not available on mobile devices". Hmm...

If it is OSD samples you're looking for, most of my video library of the last couple of years is thanks to the OSD. In fact, the OSD is going to fire up in about three hours to record "New Girl" (Zooey, mmmmmmm!!!!! - especially when she's in Meganekko mode Cheesy ). But, then, the filesizes are a little too large to share.

However...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwTeuMJNXys
That's me trashing a Subaru in Japan, courtesy of my PS2. It's a lot funnier with annotations switched on. Composite video doesn't really show off the OSD's abilities. It was further processed into a 1200kbps xvid (my up channel is only 256k on a good day, so...) and then YouTube messed around with it some more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csjeXSop1Vg
Proof that things sound cuter in Japanese. Wink

Anyway... work done, had a relaxing bath, gonna throw a cherry yoghurt down the hatch and hit the sack... at 07h47. Night...er...Morning...er...I have no friggin' idea anymore...

Best wishes,

Rick.
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:59:49 pm »

The problem with the likes of YouTube is that the video is messed around with a lot. You can't download something and say "that's what the OSD is like" because it is closer to "that's what youtube's interpretation of the OSD is like".

So, to that end, I have placed a short (5 min) video here:

It was recorded off NHK World this afternoon, and it is a look at "Sakura" (cherry blossom), this time in Okinawa. It's very pretty.

IMPORTANT! My recordings are anamorphic. This means the OSD's video will tell you it is 4:3 aspect, but it is actually 16:9 aspect. You will need to alter this in order for the video to play correctly. Any decent software (SMPlayer under Windows/Linux, Moboplayer on Android) can do this without problems - check view/video menus for aspect ratio options (SMPlayer, press 'A' until it gets to 16:9).

Specifications - recorded off satellite (Astra @ 19.2E) via a Silvercrest (Targa) generic cheapie receiver. S-video connection to the OSD. Video bitrate 2000kbps, audio AAC at 128kbps. Video is 640x480 at 25fps. Filesize is 78Mb for 5 minutes, zero seconds.

It is lovely to look at. My hope one day is to spend Hanami in Japan...

Best wishes,

Rick.
pfft2002

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:14:22 pm »

I don't know if this is related to what you guys are talking about or not (tl:dr, and all that), but I think the password database for this board crashed over the weekend.  I have not been able to log in as pfft2001 since then.  In fact, I was on, and something crashed and stopped working (in the browser window connected to this board), so I closed the window, re-opened it, and had to login again.  When I did that, it didn't take my password (see below for why this cannot be user error).  And it has rejected it ever since.

Can this be fixed?

(*) I have my password baked into my browser and it has always worked up until this past weekend.
pfft2002

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 09:46:46 pm »

Chad, I sent you an email, from Joe Schmoe, in response to your email of 3/21.

Did you receive it?
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 07:52:32 am »

Just to let you know - if it matters Wink - I can see your messages. I guess it is fortuitous that my phone has a cookie or somesuch so I can get right in...as if I can remember my password anyway! [I usually just ask Firefox]

Best wishes,

Rick.
pfft2001

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:45:59 am »

I'm reasonably sure that the problem was that the password complexity rules were recently updated (made more stringent) - and my old password didn't meet the new requirements, so it was rejected (rendered invalid).

Now, I, too, had the password "baked in" to my browser, so I never had to type it (which is why I am sure that the problem wasn't the usual one - of the user [me] forgetting or mis-typing it).  But now I have the annoying problem of having to figure out how to *change* the password that is stored inside my browser.  Needless to say, the docs are intentionally vague as to where it is stored and/or how to change it.
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 10:56:38 am »

Depends upon your browser. Android? Delete ALL passwords and start again (stupid, I know...).
Firefox (3.x, ought to be similar on later) it is in Settings window under something like "Security" tab - a button saying "Show passwords". You can then delete individual. But, then, Firefox usually asks if you'd like to update the saved password...

Best wishes,

Rick.
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 07:09:40 pm »

I'm reasonably sure that the problem was that the password complexity rules were recently updated (made more stringent) - and my old password didn't meet the new requirements, so it was rejected (rendered invalid).

See, my password, while suitably complex, is missing one of the new rules, and yet I am able to login just fine...  So I really am not sure what happened to your account.
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 08:34:26 pm »

Oh don't tell me you're going for the whole "there must be a digit and a symbol and a capital letter" sort of deal?

Take a gander at https://xkcd.com/936/

He's right - the best passwords are the ones that form images in your head (so have meaning to you) and don't require to be written down just so you remember what went where.

Ideally, the password rules should be 1, at least eight characters (12+ better); z, not your (user)name; and 3, not "password" or "iloveyou" or any of the common things people chose (there is, no doubt, a list around). Anything else is an obfuscation.

Best wishes,

Rick.
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 12:14:49 pm »

I didn't change it.  I'm really not sure who did...  >.>
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: