September 25, 2017, 12:05:46 pm
News:
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Can't get the OSD to work - stilllllllll  (Read 6777 times)
ima999

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:48:55 am »

Hello, I'm having a lot of trouble with my OSD unit.

1) I have updated the firmware
2)I have told it to record for 3hrs
3) For playback on an iPod/iPhone....
4) Use a 16gb flash/thumb drive formatted from windows as fat32 (I've also tried formatting as mac via my mac)

I start the "TV/movie" and say record
I walk away and let it record to finished state (I start at 10pm and when I wake up I pull the drive from the unit)
I put drive into my mac and see the file
---- The file is only 400ish mb (that seems low for a 3hr recording)
---- I then double click it to start playing -- and my mac says it can't play it [The document “osd.mp4” could not be opened. The movie is not in a format that QuickTime Player understands.]
---- I open iTunes (latest version) and I try to copy the file into iTunes but it does nothing.

I've had this unit for about a year and I haven't been able to get it to work correctly yet.
Instead I use my original product the "recorder 2/2"

I'm just soooo very frustrated and I can't seem to find any answer.

Any help / suggestions?
ima999

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:06:58 am »

I just noticed I posted almost this exact same question in November of 2010.

Since then I thought I would have gotten smarter - I guess it didn't happen.

I will retry again tonight with the "eject" button. 
But seriously --
- I'm not very confident in this unit
- Why won't it 1) record an entire show (400mb is not the full show) - the original Neuros would take up about 1gb for a 2hr show 2) work as it is promoted
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:03:30 pm »

Hi,

When you remove the media (and, yes, you should always eject), is the light on the front red or green? If it is red, recording is in progress (or the thing crashed).

Pretty much nothing except Mac understands Mac format. Stick to FAT. If this doesn't work, try a different USB drive (some cheap ones are flaky, they're not much better on a real PC!).

Instead of selecting to record for the iPod/iPhone; try instead to go to the advanced options and record as follows:

Video - 640x480 at 768kbps.
 Audio - mp3 at 128kbps.

This should generate a recording that will work on anything with reasonable video codec support.

If it still fails, please perform a short recording (a minute tops, content irrelevant, whatever you're tuned to) and drop it someplace (FileServe or the like) and I'll try it on my end. Perhaps the OSD simply uses a slightly different codec to what your Mac can cope with? On my PC I use SMPlayer as Windows Media Player is not only utter crap, but doesn't support the OSD's recording methods. You'll see Neuros talking about "industry standard mp4" but that is no use at all when everything else is capable to play OSD recordings, but only understands AVIs (my standalone DVD player, for instance).

400ish is low for a 3h recording. I'm not sure offhand what quality settings iPod uses. Perhaps if it is for old-generation stuff at some silly-low bitrate? Alternatively, my older "iPod Recorder" used to break recordings at hour boundaries (evidently a quirk of the original iPod?) so maybe the OSD is trying this and messing it up? If it is for a computer or modern device like a smartphone, set the quality (etc) manually, it's more flexible that way.

Alternatively you are pulling the media out at the wrong time and are essentially trashing the disc record so you'll be lucky if anything much makes sense...

Best wishes,

Rick.

[who has over 100 DVD-Rs plus a NAS full of stuff recorded on the OSD...]
ima999

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 01:08:18 pm »

thanks - I'll give that a try tonight.
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:24:21 pm »

Okay. I'll be at work until half four in the morning CET (about eight hours...). I look forward to catching up with your progress...
ima999

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:23:15 pm »

OK - I ran home at lunch and tested it.

Video is now showing up and the file size is more accurate (for the amount of time I was recording).
NOW - the image is pretty poor and NO sound is coming through.

I did hear the audio when I was recording.

Settings were set per your recommendations.

I'm getting closer.
I'll try a full movie later tonight.
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:39:09 pm »

Yes, video quality will be poor, it is a fairly low bitrate. Try 1500 kbps from now on, that's what I use for general recordings. I asked you to do it low in order to see if your computer would cope without taxing it...
I'm surprised it can't handle mp3 audio. The only other option is AAC (which is much better than mp3, but not as well supported). If that does not work, did you hear the audio through the OSD, or is your hifi plugged into your receiver separately?

Good luck!

Rick.
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 09:33:57 pm »

I'm going to respond here rather than the e-mailed ticket...

1) Good to hear that the video is now recording.
2) If you're having playback problems in QuickTime/iTunes, try in VLC.  VLC deals with odd encoding quirks better, and can let us know if it's an encoding problem, or an actual lack of audio.  If you actually intend to play back on an iPod/iPhone, AAC audio should work fine there, too.
3) If you start having problems as you raise the bitrate, switch to SDHC (Class 4 or higher).  The USB port on the OSD is USB 1.1, and the drivers the chip maker provided to Neuros are not the world's fastest.
ima999

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:44:20 pm »

OK - this is getting more confusing then I expected.

I came back to the house -- the unit was not responsive.
I pulled the plug out and put it back in and it restarted itself

I then made the appropriate adjustments suggested: acc & 1500

I said to record.
About 5 - 10 min in the screen went frozen and now I no longer have control of the unit.

I'm going to unplug / plug it back in again to see if I get a response.
ima999

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:50:26 pm »

Restarted the unit
re did the settings.

Started to record and the audio is no longer available.

I'll let it continue to record and see if the audio comes through on my computer when I download the file.

hmmmmm   why is this soooooooo difficult.  The original one was soooo much easier.
ima999

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 11:57:45 pm »

OK - rebooted system again and it now froze in another place.

I think I'm done with the unit.
I think my next step is going to throw it out....

I was sooooo hoping this thing would work.

heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 12:21:31 am »

Hi,

Before you get rid of your OSD, try it with a decent (as ChadV says, at least a Class 4) SD card.

Best wishes,

Rick.
pfft2001

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 05:12:59 am »

Actually, two comments:

1) Before you throw your OSD out, please, give it to me!

2) Try recording to network.  IME, that's the only thing that really works.  But it works wonderfully, and I've been quite happy with it for many years now.
ima999

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 12:39:11 pm »

I will perform one last test with an SD card.

I am hoping for the best  - really I am.
heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 12:57:26 pm »

If you're up for it (all it takes is some time), I would suggest you revert back to Torfu (the older firmware) and try that too. I mean, unless there was an as-yet-unknown manufacturing error (wrong component placed or somesuch), it's not logical for one OSD to work fine and another not...

Good luck!

Rick.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: