March 24, 2017, 07:09:02 am
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Battery in DAC (Not in backpack!)  (Read 2330 times)
cabert

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2012, 10:32:47 am »

Is there a small battery in the DAC itself? In disassembling I find a small 'button battery' at the to of the unit - for reference, there is a small hole on the face of the unit where it is located. The point is that my DAC suddenly stopped working yesterday, I can boot into the diagnostics menu (1+5) but I cannot scroll around in that menu, it appears quite frozen.

On a normal power up, the power icon briefly is displayed but then nothing at all.

I had replaced the backpack's battery & hard drive about 2 years ago so while it is possible, I doubt that the backpack battery has failed...
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 12:02:47 pm »

Not that I remember...  Not sure if any breakdowns / disassembly guides exist anywhere still.
cabert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 12:06:38 pm »

Any ideas on how to approach this problem? Is there some way of doing a reset on the DAC?
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 01:24:06 pm »

On the brain?  Two ways...  1 is through the Diagnostics menu, the other is to leave the brain disconnected from the backpack overnight.
cabert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:05:17 am »

The brain is disconnected, I'll check on it later today. However, I believe I already tried this... maybe it needs several days without any power?

I connected the Neuros to my PC - It did boot up into synchronization mode. I did a full Neuros rebuild without any problems. Upon closing NSM, the Neuros reverted to the normal menu (Neuros Audio, Play Queue, etc) but remained 'frozen'. Booting into the Diag mode, it remains frozen. While connected to the PC, the file system on the backpack was completely accessible as normal.

The 'button battery' is actually the microphone, FWIW.
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 06:42:31 am »

The brain is disconnected, I'll check on it later today. However, I believe I already tried this... maybe it needs several days without any power?

Try turning it on while disconnected, that may help to drain any remaining juice.

Also, is there the possibility that the joystick is just non-responsive?  Have you tried just pressing play from the main menu?
cabert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:57:05 am »

None of the buttons respond, not even to power it down. I have a 'spare' brain which has a damaged/cracked LCD screen (my 'first' brain, only a few months old - I learned the hard way to be real careful when dismounting it from the backpack... Wink). I swapped the button/joystick module since it was really easy to so but this didn't change anything. I also swapped backpacks with my remaining good 'brain - nothing wrong with my 2 backpacks.

Randomly hitting buttons in rapid succession I did once get a message stating 'connect to PC to download software' (I wrote down the full text but it's at home). I connected it to the PC with NSM running but it did not mount to the PC.  Sad

I wish I could find another replacement 'brain' to buy to keep my equipment running, I still really like the Neuros II/HD/128 as it has been good to me for 8 years now... no luck thus far 'Googling' for one.
cabert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 06:18:14 am »

The complete text on the brain's screen after randomly & rapidly hitting buttons - was able to get this behavior only one time:

NEUROS UPDATE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 06:35:01 am »

Yeah, that was the firmware update mode.

I really don't have any new suggestions, sorry...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: