March 25, 2017, 04:54:53 am
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Link fried via USB port (?)  (Read 1467 times)
num2danes

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2013, 04:54:02 pm »

Hi,

While connecting a USB drive, I connected the power to the USB unit instead of to the drive.  I heard a burst of sound through the speakers, and now the LINK won't power on.  I'm assuming the unit is lost at this point, and trying to find a way to see if any data can be saved.  That isn't my question, though.

1) Am I correct in my assumption about its status?
2) Is there anything hazardous that I should be worried about the lovely charcoal smell that is wafting around?

Thanks
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 12:57:11 am »

1) Most likely.  Not really sure what you connected wrong, but that certainly sounds like a toast power supply or motherboard.
2) I certainly wouldn't go looking to inhale it, but move the unit to somewhere well ventilated for a while and you should be fine.
num2danes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 01:27:54 pm »

1) Most likely.  Not really sure what you connected wrong, but that certainly sounds like a toast power supply or motherboard.
2) I certainly wouldn't go looking to inhale it, but move the unit to somewhere well ventilated for a while and you should be fine.

Yeah, (2) was a bit panicky, I admit.

Since I heard a pop from the speakers, I'm guessing it was more than just a 'board, sadly.

I've seen the subject brought up in many a thread, but I'll add it again.   Since I am now spec'ing solutions again ... are Links still a primary-market item?  Or in other words, where does one buy one anymore?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: