September 21, 2017, 02:39:44 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Inconsistent MP4 recording  (Read 709 times)
majer1898

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2016, 12:28:19 pm »

I hope there is someone out there that has experienced these problems.

I have the Neuros osd and am running firmware version 3.33-2.09-00.871  I am having problems where the neuros fails to recognize USB flashdrives (every brand I try) unless I reboot the machine with the flash drive already in the machine.  Is there a fix for this?

Also, more importantly, when I record off my cable box (ATT Uverse) it seems things record normally but when I transfer the files to my computer (either MAC with quicktime or PC with Windows media player) some of the MP4 do not open under any circumstances while others play normally.  Is there a fix for this?  It is very inconsistent.  At times I can record HBO (presumably with copy protections) or WGN (presumably without protection) and it plays normally but at other times the file wont open.  No warning which will work and which wont.

I assume since the website no longer has firmware upgrades and I cant find any neuors osd for sale that the company has gone out of business- is this true?

Thank you.

heyrick
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 01:35:23 pm »

Sorry for the delay, I don't visit here often these days...

I am having problems where the neuros fails to recognize USB flashdrives (every brand I try) unless I reboot the machine with the flash drive already in the machine.  Is there a fix for this?

I think some of the larger modern Flash drives use a sector size that the OSD doesn't like. I have a few USB sticks around here that the OSD won't touch.

That said - I believe the DM320 (the chip inside) only supports USB 1.1. As such, I almost exclusively use SD cards. The recordings, for me, have proven to be much more reliable.

some of the MP4 do not open under any circumstances while others play normally.

Are you using higher bitrates? Is your USB drive capable of sustained writing at speed (you might be surprised to find USB sticks are good at bursts of data, but many suck at doing it non-stop over a long period of time).

Try a decent SD card. I use Emtec 16GB, SanDisk 16GB and Samsung 32GB and they work well for me.

I assume since the website no longer has firmware upgrades and I cant find any neuors osd for sale that the company has gone out of business- is this true?

I don't know if the business has ceased - I doubt it as somebody needs to pay to host this forum! However, SD quality analogue video is, these days, something of a relic. It's a shame, I'm very fond of my OSD, but that's how it goes.
Look on the bright side, everybody is falling in love with vinyl again, so maybe in thirty years we'll think analogue video is cool. ;-)

If you should need firmware for emergency purposes, I have copies at http://heyrick.co.uk/osd/firmware/OSD_Firmware.htm but you're on your own with them (no support). Use them only if something is broken.
Be careful of OSDng too. It's better, but I don't know if it can be installed stand-alone or if it requires additional resources on a server long gone...

Best wishes,

Rick.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: