April 26, 2017, 02:40:57 pm
News:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: The Official USB 2.0 Gamma Thread  (Read 87487 times)
TARTZ
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2004, 05:54:24 pm »

The upgrade is only an upgrade from USB1.1 to USB2.0 on your HD backpack.  If there is any additional issues with your unit, feel free to include a note with your HD and player and we will address them.  However, we will  not be upgrading existing users to bundles if they purchased the Neuros HD.  
Customers that bought prior to 08/31/03 need to contact us at support@neurosaudio.com for details.

Neuros Customer Support
Sheki

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2004, 11:08:44 pm »

When will 'official' units be available for sale, and at what price?
Chameleon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2004, 12:46:01 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sheki(at)earthlink.net

When will 'official' units be available for sale, and at what price?

TBA [Cheesy]

-- 'I switched to Vorbis and saved a bunch on my hard-disk space!'

DrTuba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2004, 01:48:26 am »

Quick Question:

Will the usb 2 gamma packs be mac compatible?  If so, i will order immediately.

Obsessive dilettante

Obsessive dilettante
rudolph

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2004, 04:01:04 am »

another question:
Say I get the 128mb neuros and later decide to get the 20gb usb 2.0  backpack when it becomes available. Will I have to send in the neros unit itself in order for it to be 'upgraded', or will I be able to just buy the 20gb usb 2.0 backpack and attach it, and it should be fine?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 04:01:41 am by rudolph » Logged
VipFREAK

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2004, 06:23:24 am »

Ahh damn... delema delema... ::banghead:: 4 weeks without my Neuros?!?  But USB 2.0 sound good yeah yeah!  errr...

Nick
Sean Starkey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2004, 09:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DrTuba

Quick Question:

Obsessive dilettante

People (not me) have tested the USB 2.0 backpacks on OSX with great results.

Sean Starkey - Project Manager for Neuros Database Manipulator - http://neurosdbm.sourceforge.net

Sean Starkey / Neuros Database Manipulator (NDBM) - http://neurosdbm.sourceforge.net / Open Source Neuros Firmware - http://neuros-firmware.sourceforge.net
kronin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2004, 10:52:28 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DrTuba

Quick Question:

Obsessive dilettante

Yes, I have tested the USB 2 backpack with a blue & white G3 running OS X 10.2, no problems whatsoever. If you have any specific hardware or OS you were wondering about, let me know. My dad has a G4 desktop and a G3 powerbook, and I have an old 9600 I could boot up if you want.
virgopa(at)earlham.edu

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2004, 12:07:24 pm »

The 1.1 usb port is on the Neuros itself rather than the backpack. Does that change with the upgrade? Will an upgrade somehow make the 128mb backpack work with usb 2.0 as well? (Not that it matters as much for the limited space.. )

~Pablo
Cool4u2view
Neuros Audio Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2004, 12:14:47 pm »

No, the USB 2.0 only affects the backpack... although it may be possible if someone were to take the time do devlope flash images PC side and be able to send the image to the backpack and restore it to the 128MB. This would lead into developing custom playlists and custom images to send to the 128MB from the Neuros itself. Like say the 20GB could store multiple images and you can choose what you want.. It's not possible yet but who knows (I don't know if anyone besides myself has thought about such things. It seems fairly straightforward).

-Jeff

-Jeff
kronin

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2004, 12:15:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by virgopa(at)earlham.edu

The 1.1 usb port is on the Neuros itself rather than the backpack. Does that change with the upgrade? Will an upgrade somehow make the 128mb backpack work with usb 2.0 as well? (Not that it matters as much for the limited space.. )

~Pablo

The USB 2.0 port is on the backpack, not the main unit. The main unit remains unchanged, meaning you'll still have USB 1.1 to transfer songs to/from your Neuros when in 128 MB configuration.
rudolph

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2004, 12:53:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by kborn(at)neurosaudio.com
...We really just want to take the time to properly test each unit, especially battery calibration problems, so it works out of the box. Also, slight changes have been made to the device since the release, and this will bring all components up to date....

Suppose I get a neuros right now, will my neuros have these "slight changes that have been made to the device since the release?"
Also, if I later decide to buy a 2.0 backpack with a 20gb drive, will I have "battery calibration problems"?

Thanks!
demonbane

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2004, 04:30:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cool4u2view

No, the USB 2.0 only affects the backpack... although it may be possible if someone were to take the time do devlope flash images PC side and be able to send the image to the backpack and restore it to the 128MB. This would lead into developing custom playlists and custom images to send to the 128MB from the Neuros itself. Like say the 20GB could store multiple images and you can choose what you want.. It's not possible yet but who knows (I don't know if anyone besides myself has thought about such things. It seems fairly straightforward).
I was actually working on a feature for NDBM that would allow you to store 128 MB playlists on the Neuros for a quick-sync before OS/2 was released. This involved copying the songs over each time, however. Now with the flash backup option, this goes out the window.

However, I have been thinking about going in a direction similar to what you had mentioned. I need to look more at what kind of a backup is actually done on the HD backpack, but if it is, as I hope, the contents of the flash drive dumped into a directory on the Neuros, then it would be quite possible.

We would essentially just change the NDBM device path to point to the backup directory instead of the base Neuros directory and treat it as a regular 128 MB backpack, copying music from the Neuros itself rather than from your computer.

Hopefully that didn't come out quite as convoluted as I think it did. Smiley I'm still thinking as I type this so there's not much processor time left to logical organization. Smiley
Chameleon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2004, 04:50:04 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by demonbane

I was actually working on a feature for NDBM that would allow you to store 128 MB playlists on the Neuros for a quick-sync before OS/2 was released. This involved copying the songs over each time, however. Now with the flash backup option, this goes out the window.

However, I have been thinking about going in a direction similar to what you had mentioned. I need to look more at what kind of a backup is actually done on the HD backpack, but if it is, as I hope, the contents of the flash drive dumped into a directory on the Neuros, then it would be quite possible.

Sounds like a nice feature to me, however I think that the flash backup simply does a bit-for-bit copy of the RAM contents to a single file on the HD.

kronin

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2004, 05:01:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Chameleon

Sounds like a nice feature to me, however I think that the flash backup simply does a bit-for-bit copy of the RAM contents to a single file on the HD.

If that's the case, then at least in Linux you could mount that single file as a fat32 partition using the loopback device. Then you can read and write to it just like you read and write to the 128 MB Neuros. Not sure if there's something similar to a loopback device in Windows or not. I just did a quick search, but couldn't find anything on Google that referenced a java utility to treat a single file like a fat32 filesystem. There's Jakarta's Virtual Filesystem, but Fat32 isn't one of their supported types yet. http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/vfs/filesystems.html

It would be easier if the firmware backed the 128 MB flash up into a directory. Plus it would fix the problem where even if your 128 MB flash is only half full, the backup is still 128 MB. It would be more complicated from a firmware standpoint, though, as it wouldn't be able to do a bit-for-bit copy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Jump to: