October 21, 2017, 09:52:44 pm
News:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Print
Author Topic: The Official USB 2.0 Gamma Thread  (Read 89068 times)
waterbrother

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2004, 07:38:02 am »

quote:
Originally posted by qvack_82

quote:
Originally posted by RADAggie

Waterbrother,

I have to say that I like the alias.  I go by Valmis on some other boards.  Are tehre any other RAH fans out there?

RADAggie

Yes indeed there are.

Theres only a few books of his I haven't read, and a half dozen or so which I don't own.  I also have a fair collection of first editions.

Do we need a flame war on which his best book? [Wink]

Cheers

Paul

ln -s /dev/null ~/.sig

Only one hardbound here, Paul - the rest are paperbacks:

I have, however, met Arthur Clark and Ursula LaGuin here in New York at book signings.  But back to RAH, sheer influence and universality make Stranger his best book.  Others may be better literature (perhaps "The Cat..." or "Time Enough..."), but as a phenomenon, landmark and some say, "bible of sci fi", none beat it.  Please, in the spirit of VMS, lets not flame.  Instead, exchange and converse.  How about another question: Best sci fi novel made into the best sci fi film(feature length)?

On topic here - one more query: Best soundtrack for a sci fi film? (and where to download it? - Utilizing the speedy USB 2.0 in my Neuros - when it is returned to me.)

Peace, love and R&R,
Ed
finwaite

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2004, 04:31:53 pm »

I got my N back last night and WOW! Instead of 4 hours to sync 1800 tracks, it took 12 minutes!

Plus, I had it powered up at work today for about 8 hours straight, sometimes paused, most of the time playing randomly from the 1800 tracks I put on it last night...and the battery indicator is still at a strong 2 of 3 bars. It didn't start flashing between 3 and 2 until somewhere between 5 and 6 hours. I was running beta versions of FW 2.x before sending the device in for the upgrade, so I'm somewhat used to the improved battery life, but it feels like it's even better with the stable 2.13 that was installed on it as part of the upgrade.

As much as I missed it while it was gone (just under 5 weeks), the upgrade was well worth the wait.

Thanks, DI!
--mab
noiz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2004, 11:26:38 pm »

finwaite, once you upgrade to firmware 2.14 i think you will like it even more being able to do album under artist.

-noiz
Zap!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2004, 10:30:11 am »

Quick question: Will I have to send in the head unit with the drive for an upgrade?  I'd really like to keep using my Neuros with the flash backpack.
Chameleon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: April 30, 2004, 10:59:12 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zap!

Quick question: Will I have to send in the head unit with the drive for an upgrade?  I'd really like to keep using my Neuros with the flash backpack.

I think that they want you to do so because they do a full health checkup on the head unit and if there have been any modifications/improvements to the hardware inside the head unit, they will bring your particular device up to date with the current hardware revision.

At least, that's what I understood.

-- 'I switched to Vorbis and saved a bunch on my hard-disk space!'

-- 'I switched to Vorbis and saved a bunch on my hard-disk space!'
finwaite

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 30, 2004, 04:21:12 pm »

noiz,
I'm sure you're right...it's a feature I'm salivating over. But I'm waiting, at this point, for it to come out of beta. Also, I'm not sure if NeurosDBM supports Artist->Album yet (I'm pretty sure it doesn't, though I'm also pretty sure it's being worked on).

Anyway, looking forward to that feature...I'll just be that much more in heaven with my N at that point.  [Cheesy]
--mab
kronin

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 30, 2004, 04:37:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by finwaite

noiz,
I'm sure you're right...it's a feature I'm salivating over. But I'm waiting, at this point, for it to come out of beta. Also, I'm not sure if NeurosDBM supports Artist->Album yet (I'm pretty sure it doesn't, though I'm also pretty sure it's being worked on).

Anyway, looking forward to that feature...I'll just be that much more in heaven with my N at that point.  [Cheesy]
--mab

Actually, with Beta Firmware 2.14 and Beta NSM 1.45, Arists -> Albums is working. It was implemented as Albums -> Artists -> Albums, but it works [Cheesy]

Edit: DOH! Just re-read your post and finally saw NeurosDBM. You're correct, NeurosDBM doesn't support artist-album yet.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 04:38:18 pm by kronin » Logged
waterbrother

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 01, 2004, 12:01:41 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by kborn(at)neurosaudio.com

We looked into what was causing the delays, and there was a glitch. For those of you considering it, you may want to wait a week or two, eventually, it won't take 4 weeks, but not today...

K

Neuros Support

OK! - My Neuros is on its way back:

Thanks Kathryn, Tom and Tim.  I know that I've been a real pain in the **s.  The forums have been absolutely correct in that the unit is great, the service is great and as a result the customer satisfaction is great.  I've been working at getting my tune database in shape to re-load on my Neuros on Tuesday.

Thanks again, I can't wait,
Ed
noiz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2004, 10:25:37 pm »

mab, neurosdbm still doesnt support it but if you use linux or want to use something other than NSM u might want to try sorune.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sorune/
this supports that feature and also some extra things that even arnt in NSM.

-noiz
RADAggie

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2004, 09:53:14 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterbrother

But back to RAH, sheer influence and universality make Stranger his best book.  Others may be better literature (perhaps "The Cat..." or "Time Enough..."), but as a phenomenon, landmark and some say, "bible of sci fi", none beat it.  

Peace, love and R&R,
Ed

I couldn't have said it better myself.  I'm not sure about best SF book to movie conversion, but I will say that Starship Troopers was butchered.  I can think of several SF/fantasy books that should be made into movies and have not.

RADAggie

RADAggie
qvack_82

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2004, 12:06:50 am »

quote:

I couldn't have said it better myself.  

I agree, and the uncut stranger is much more of a good read than the original release.  So much more RAH's style.

quote:

I'm not sure about best SF book to movie conversion, but I will say that Starship Troopers was butchered.  I can think of several SF/fantasy books that should be made into movies and have not.

RADAggie

Starship troopers the movie should _not_ have been called that.  It has very little to do with the book.  But despite that was a reasonable if somewhat cheesy movie (IMHO).  One of heinleins best books-> movies is Destination Moon.  Probably because he wrote the screenplay.  Although it does seem a bit outdated 50 years later.

With other movies, I think Blade Runner is up there as one of the best book-> movie conversions.  The directors cut anyway, kept all the major themes of the book, and toned down some of PKD's rather `insane/tripped out/just plain weird`ness.

Cheers

Paul Warren

ln -s /dev/null ~/.sig

waterbrother

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2004, 01:23:04 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by qvack_82

quote:

I couldn't have said it better myself.  

I agree, and the uncut stranger is much more of a good read than the original release.  So much more RAH's style.

quote:

I'm not sure about best SF book to movie conversion, but I will say that Starship Troopers was butchered.  I can think of several SF/fantasy books that should be made into movies and have not.

RADAggie

Starship troopers the movie should _not_ have been called that.  It has very little to do with the book.  But despite that was a reasonable if somewhat cheesy movie (IMHO).  One of heinleins best books-> movies is Destination Moon.  Probably because he wrote the screenplay.  Although it does seem a bit outdated 50 years later.

With other movies, I think Blade Runner is up there as one of the best book-> movie conversions.  The directors cut anyway, kept all the major themes of the book, and toned down some of PKD's rather `insane/tripped out/just plain weird`ness.

Cheers

Paul Warren

Blade Runner is my choice as well (and certainly what I had in mind when asking the question).

Believe it, or not, I have not read the unedited Stranger in a Strange Land.  That will be remedied in the next couple of days.  I'm a commuter these days - the book and my Neuros will make a great combination for making the riding time seem too short as opposed to too long.

Thanks for bringing that to mind,
Ed

PS - While I'm thanking - Tim/Tom, I really appreciate the service regarding the problem I was having with my unit after its return from USB 2.0 upgrade.  DI/Neuros "Where the customer counts."
Lou Erickson

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2004, 05:47:17 pm »

(Can the Heinlien conversation please move to e-mail or a forum where people are discussing things like that.  At the lease, create a new thread someplace so people don't have to wade through this here.)

Well, I've just pushed the button on a USB 2.0 upgrade for my unit.  In preparation for this, I've bought a USB 2.0 adapter for the computer I use with Neuros.  (PCMCIA, so installation was trivial.)

I need to sync and check that I won't be losing any bits and then ship it off.  Tomorrow, I'll send it in.  I can only hope the rush has gotten caught up a bit.

Yay!  Once again, I'm excited about my Neuros!  [Cheesy]
carwashi

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 24, 2004, 03:54:07 pm »

5 Weeks.  Thats how long you guys hae had my neuros and there is still no sign that its coming back any time soon.  What is going on there?

[Sad!][Sad!][Sad!]
squarooticus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: May 24, 2004, 04:11:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by carwashi

5 Weeks.  Thats how long you guys hae had my neuros and there is still no sign that its coming back any time soon.  What is going on there?

Same here: it just went on one month since they received it, and no word yet.

Kyle
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Print
Jump to: