May 24, 2017, 10:12:34 pm
News:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Neuros III ideas and images  (Read 39341 times)
k-mouse

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2004, 02:03:22 pm »

Just to make it clear, everything posted does not have any relation to the people making the Neuros, these are just some ideas I had in mind, and wanted to share with you.

Well anyway, I made some images on how I would like Neuros 3 to look like. The most major changes I have done from Neuros II, are mostly these three things:

1. I have used a 1.8" hard drive, as I would like in the real product as well...so the device will become much smaller.
2. I have made it, so that the hard drive is pulled inside the Neuros (take a look at the images).
3. I have also replaced some of the buttons. [Edit: Replaced them back to the original]

[Edit: All of the images are now updated to the new design]
Yeah, here are the goodies:
Image 1 Yup, here it is [8D]
Image 2 From another view
Image 3 A little closeup
Image 4 from the other side
Image 5 Top-view
Compared to the old Neuros I/II
Small image of it(lookes cute, doesn't it? [Wink])

The first designJust in case you want to take a look at the old design, here is a picture of it.

Some of the things I'm not completely sure about:
 -The placement of the buttons. Maybe the "old style" is better?
 -Maybe the screen is a little big? (I can easily make it the original Tongue)
 -Do you guys think it's possible to make it this small at all?
 -And how big are the batteries (physical dimension)?

Come with any suggestion, comments, or whatever you want to say about these ideas/images...

Btw, if you want to take a closer look at it, you can download the Sketchup 3d-model from here. If you don't have it already, you can get Sketchup from this site.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 04:46:03 pm by k-mouse » Logged
Jet_Jaguar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 03:15:58 pm »

one of the things I don't like about the current Neuros is that the quick buttons are easily pushed accidentally, which can cause confusion.  In your version, the buttons look like they would be even more prone to accidental activation.
Yono

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 04:01:10 pm »

Thats a really cool design, I can see you put a lot of effort into it. However, K has mentioned that they are aiming for N3 to be 1-piece. However, it is really cool how you did this, but you would need a lock specifically for the preset/recording buttons.

-- 'Microsoft Works is an Oxymoron'

k-mouse

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 04:37:16 pm »

Thanks for replys Tongue

As for the keylock, I totally forgot about that, and I have also fixed the buttons so that they are position the same way as in Neuros I/II.

And as a matter of fact, it "only" took me about 2 hours to make this thing. That program is a really cool and easy 3d-modeller (or whatever its called).
JoeBorn
Neuros Audio Team
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 08:04:12 pm »

it's very cool! when I get back to the office I can post some others that we've received too

jborn (at) neurosaudio.com

jborn (at) neurostechnology.com
#neuros on freenode.net
Zithromax

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 11:28:51 pm »

Yes, it is cool, if by cool you mean lame and unimaginative. It looks almost exactly like the current design. The current design is simple and functional, but it still needs to be tweaked a little.
kbon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 02:19:50 pm »

Nice one k-mouse!
It looks very similar to the current stuff, but that's not bad, I quite like the simplistic design.
The "slide in" hard disc is really sweet, but I guess it's not going to happen Smiley
Did you also think about "real" improvements, I mean, other than design?

Sure, a small unit is a pleasure to carry in your pocket, but what about a kind of interface for it so it can be used as an image bank (think about a CF slot, a higher resolution screen, preferrably able to display pictures,...)
Those are features I'm much more interested in then a small unit,though size _does_ matter eventually. Maybe a "universal connector" type of thingie at the bottom so the Neuros can interface to a docking station or a cardreader,...

Oh heck, I'm just dreaming out loud, I'll once get to see what DI made of the Neuros 3, and the sooner the better Wink
notzippy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 03:57:05 pm »

Personally I like the two piece design, it seems to allow expandability..

Internally I would like to see a second processor, then you can offload the decoding and FM encoding to the second processor while leaving the primary to handle the GUI - thus getting rid of the slugishness feel while playing... (Although coding this may be an interesting task ;>)

z

z
Chameleon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 07:17:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by notzippy

Personally I like the two piece design, it seems to allow expandability..

Internally I would like to see a second processor, then you can offload the decoding and FM encoding to the second processor while leaving the primary to handle the GUI - thus getting rid of the slugishness feel while playing... (Although coding this may be an interesting task ;>)

In fact the current Neuros I & II have two processors internally.
One is the main TI DSP and the other is a Xilinx FPGA.

I agree that I like the expandability and I think the size & weight are just fine.

-- 'I switched to Vorbis and saved a bunch on my hard-disk space!'

-- 'I switched to Vorbis and saved a bunch on my hard-disk space!'
Zithromax

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 09:55:32 pm »

Why don't they just make a PDA and then it will be able to do everything? Honestly I don't understand this whole picture viewing thing on an audio player. If you want such frills, there are devices that do that. What I would like to see instead of the hard drive option is cheap, large solid state RAM. I heard that such a thing is being worked on and when that happens, hard drives will be a thing of the past. Then the Neuros could be small and use much less power. I don't know whether or not that is in a time frame of until they come out with the Neuros III, but it's possible.
Gauge

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2004, 02:09:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zithromax

Why don't they just make a PDA and then it will be able to do everything? Honestly I don't understand this whole picture viewing thing on an audio player. If you want such frills, there are devices that do that. What I would like to see instead of the hard drive option is cheap, large solid state RAM. I heard that such a thing is being worked on and when that happens, hard drives will be a thing of the past. Then the Neuros could be small and use much less power. I don't know whether or not that is in a time frame of until they come out with the Neuros III, but it's possible.

Once this RAM you speak of becomes a reality, then all players will probably switch to it.  In the meantime, they have to work with the small HD sizes available to them.

These design pictures are great, k-mouse!  However I've heard that the Neuros III will ditch the backpack design and go for a 1-piece unit like the I-pod.  I'm wondering if maybe a compromise could be made and they use the detachable HD idea.

Gauge
Llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 04:15:16 pm »

i saw an mp3 player like that at stereo advantage when i was searching around for my first one a few years ago (bought an archos jukebox eventually, sucked).  you could pop the HD right out and plug it into the pc or something like that.  maybe the n3 could have something like that, but with a usb/firewire (male) connector on the hd, to elimate the need to carry wires everywhere.

http://69.161.68.95:8002  Llama Radio: All Rock, 24/7 (unless i shut my computer down)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 04:15:39 pm by Llama » Logged

Yono

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2004, 07:54:55 pm »

K-mouse, would the HD be in some sort of case to keep the pins from easily being bent? How would that work?

Zithromax

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 10:56:11 am »

I'll take care of this one. The hard drive would be in a case that would make it very easy to accidentally bend the pins. Also the metal would be very brittle so that they would break off.

In regard to Gauge's comment, the Neuros III will not be out for probably a year or more. There is a possibility that RAM like that would exist by then. I'm thinking forward. I have to disagree that those concept images are "great". They would be great if the Neuros didn't already look almost exactly like that.
kbon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 11:27:17 am »

Oh come on...
quote:
I have to disagree that those concept images are "great". They would be great if the Neuros didn't already look almost exactly like that.

Take a horse. Add a barcode-like pattern on it's fur. That's no horse anymore, you'd call it a zebra. What I'm trying to say in my awfully bad English is that a Neuros is a Neuros, with some nice features separating it from "the other players"... Change those specific things and you don't have a Neuros anymore.

And what is all the talk about "large RAM"... As far as I'm concerned, RAM's not suitable for players, except for use in buffer applications.
RAM is memory that loses it's contents when power is removed. Now that would be handy! I'm on a long trip, my battery dies, I get a new one, and wow, all my content is gone... What a great storage device :|
You all mean flash. It's able to keep it's contents, even when power goes dead. And wake up people, mp3 players with flash memory _exist already_... OK, perhaps only to 2GB, if you want larger you need a hard disc player. And fact is, there is nothing wrong with that. People who need solid state players get a player with limited memory but large shock-proofness, people seeking large-capacity audio players get a hard-disc player. It's simple as that, and there's really nothing wrong with that (except when you should go on a mountaineering trip for several weeks, then you'd need friends or a radio...)

Honestly, I don't think there's a big market for small music devices with an enormous amount of storage in it.
There, however, is a market for cheap, open source many-in-one devices (music player, audio recorder, storage device and picture bank for example).

At least, that's my opinion, you don't have to agree with me, just giving my point of view, I'm not trying to start a flamebait Smiley
I'll be anxiously waiting 'till Neuros Inc. comes with the third version of this great device.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 11:28:15 am by kbon » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to: