March 25, 2017, 12:39:21 pm
News:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Neuros III ideas and images  (Read 39062 times)
deez

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2004, 10:49:28 am »

Honestly, I never use the preset shortcut buttons, so I decided that since this is my concept it would be ok to omit them.
Sottilde

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2004, 12:25:52 pm »

I agree. I think the shortcut buttons make it look ugly, and they're not THAT useful.

EDIT: This time around, they better use a standard USB connector.

------Order #9082 Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 12:27:21 pm by Sottilde » Logged

------Order #9082 Cheesy
deez

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2004, 11:11:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JoeBorn

it's very cool! when I get back to the office I can post some others that we've received too

jborn (at) neurosaudio.com

Joe, are you still planning on posting those pix?
aliset(at)arboria.net

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2004, 07:09:59 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by kbon

Nice one k-mouse!
It looks very similar to the current stuff, but that's not bad, I quite like the simplistic design.
The "slide in" hard disc is really sweet, but I guess it's not going to happen Smiley
Did you also think about "real" improvements, I mean, other than design?

Sure, a small unit is a pleasure to carry in your pocket, but what about a kind of interface for it so it can be used as an image bank (think about a CF slot, a higher resolution screen, preferrably able to display pictures,...)
Those are features I'm much more interested in then a small unit,though size _does_ matter eventually. Maybe a "universal connector" type of thingie at the bottom so the Neuros can interface to a docking station or a cardreader,...

Oh heck, I'm just dreaming out loud, I'll once get to see what DI made of the Neuros 3, and the sooner the better Wink

Since we're all talking about spending...let's see...around 250 to 500 on a player that will play music, photos, movies, etc...why not just get a laptop? Who  needs to spend that much money on something like an Archos player when you could just actually have a LAPTOP which will do ANYTHING you want it to, on a much bigger screen, and you won't have to bend over backwards to do it. I can seen carrying a laptop when you want to watch movies - but just for mp3's, I think a player is justified. Then again, maybe I'm just being weird or in the minority. I don't understand why anyone would spend 500 for an Archos. I mean, yes, they are cool. Record off tv/dvd/anything without copyrights, but the price...I think I'd rather have a laptop.[xx(]

Set

Set
Derek

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2005, 09:43:07 am »

true, but laptops are also $1000-1500 more for a good one

When I was a kid my mom used to tell me that curiosity killed the cat...What she forgot to tell me was that it also discovered the cat, invented the lightbulb, and forged the Neuros
Sottilde

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2005, 05:44:10 pm »

I think all the Neuros III should be is exactly what the Neuros II is, with a possible color screen, a faster processor, better battery, better interface, standard USB cable (and ability to be charged through it) and much smaller size, and then we will have an absolutely dynamite product.  

Oh, and a way to mod the antenna to work with NCast without voiding a warranty would be nice, but perhaps I'm dreaming Cheesy

------Order #9082 Cheesy

------Order #9082 Cheesy
deez

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2005, 05:59:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sottilde

I think all the Neuros III should be is exactly what the Neuros II is, with a possible color screen, a faster processor, better battery, better interface, standard USB cable (and ability to be charged through it) and much smaller size, and then we will have an absolutely dynamite product.  

Oh, and a way to mod the antenna to work with NCast without voiding a warranty would be nice, but perhaps I'm dreaming Cheesy

------Order #9082 Cheesy

I agree with most of what you're saying but I do have a couple of questions:
1)What do you want a color screen for? All this would do is drive the cost up. I, personally, don't care if my music player has a color screen.
2)What do you mean by "better interface"? What would you do differently?
Sottilde

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2005, 06:34:15 pm »

1. I said possible.  Personally I wouldn't like it if it cost a lot, but who knows, if it's cheap, I say do it Smiley

2. The interface in my eyes has some serious problems.  It's sluggish during NCast, it doesn't remember where you were like the iPod does (which is a bummer, considering how useful that is.  I hate having to scroll through things all over again), you have to go to audio->downdowndown->albums->down->artists instead of artists just being the first option.  It would be great if artists was first, which would show all artists, then once you click one, the first choice would be "All" (which would be all songs by artist), then it would list the albums.  

Oh, and scrolling is a little strange.  When you do fast scrolling, it goes through my list of artists VERY fast, and doesn't do it smoothly, it just skips like 20 at a time.

These are all things fixable by better sync software and some work by either NA or the open source community (GarBage has done great so far).  

Sam

------Order #9082 Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 06:35:15 pm by Sottilde » Logged

------Order #9082 Cheesy
Zithromax

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2005, 06:06:50 pm »

I'd like to see something like the wheel on the iPod which is used for volume control and seeking and it works wonderfully for those functions. The wheel is also used for scrolling, but I've found that to be a little clumsy. So when it comes to interface changes, I could stand to see some button changes. I don't have any concept images or anything; I'm not that artistic or creative.
kronin

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2005, 06:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zithromax

I'd like to see something like the wheel on the iPod...

As far as I know, that's patented by Apple.
Zithromax

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2005, 06:21:28 pm »

That's where the "something like" comes into play. I didn't say, "I want the iPod wheel put onto the Neuros." Certainly something that works in a similar, efficient fashion can be done.
ClusterOne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2005, 10:05:32 pm »

attempts to duplicate the idea behind the wheel without ripping it off have been pretty dismal. The scrollwheel on the dellpod is pretty weak and that....that THING on the nomad is heresy. I may be imagining this, but it seems like holding down the joystick works alot better/smoother in the Garbage firmware. For most of my ownership I've relied on pressing FF and RWD to hop from letter to letter, but in the last couple days since I've changed over to the Garbage FW I've been flying through the menus with the stick more often. The more you practice it the more precise you can get with it. The fact of the matter is, that damn clickwheel isn't all that precise either on a huge list. You're always flying by what you want, flying back up to maybe one or two above, and then back down. I've had at least as good results with the stick.

Anyway, that's my $.02

here I is.

here I is.
Zithromax

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2005, 04:48:53 am »

Hey, Joe, how about those images you promised a few months back? I would like to look at them and tell you which is best. Also, if anyone else has been cranking on some designs, I'd like to see those too. I haven't been impressed by anything I've seen so far. All of the ideas look like rehashes of the current Neuros design. For shame... I think what we need to go for is something that improves usability.
Rejk

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2005, 03:47:19 pm »

First, i'm wondering what at least one person meant by:
quote:
This time around, they better use a standard USB connector.

It sure seems standard enough for me, its the exact came cable that my Cannon camera uses, i just assumed it was USB's responce to Firewire's mini connector that digital video cameras have...

The pictures are not bad, but I would want neuros to be immediatally distinguable from any other mp3 players out there, so about if you see it across the room you can say 'THAT is a neuros 3 and i know it'

most screens on mp3 players are 3x4 or about, so i'd say make it longer vertically, and as big as possible, so that when you actually do have near 20 gigs on a player (which i doubt 80% of ipod users have) you can see quite a few lines at a time.

one feature that would be incredible would be the ability to have a small cable with a female regular USB A plug on it, and then be able to plug the other end into the neuros 3, and if you put a pen drive into the cable you could transfer things off of it.

I really like the ability of having the removable harddrive, personally i'd really perfer them keeping that feature.
as for pins, there are TONS of ways to protect them very easily.

Like my video card has a cable for inputs and outputs which has tons of pins, and a platic piece that slides up when it is unplugged.  Or make like a cupler for the pins, inside of the case of the harddrive unit, so that its female instead of pins, then the only risk would be getting some sort of crap inside of the holes.  Or some sort of flap that gets pushed up.
in this I'm mostly thinking it would be a dumb harddrive unit, so just a tight case for the harddrive, that plugs into the unit basically how a harddrive plugs into any computer, or modifies it slightly so that it can only be used in the neuros.

It would also be great if they could find a way to cheaply produce a metal case, i've always liked brushed aluminum finish hah.

As for the battery, as long as its realivily simple to replace, then the charge for it won't be much, if you have not checked the price of cellphone batteries, i don't think that cost is worth just being able to manually change the battery.  The cost is obviously due to the fact that they are mostly custom manufactured for each phone model.

but anyways, there are my ideas.
kbon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2005, 04:03:41 pm »

The USB connector on the brain is a standard plug, the one on the USB2 HD isn't, unfortunately.

I disagree with you about keeping the hard disk removable.
But that's just because I don't use the feature I guess.
Anyway, I came up with a nifty idea: just make a regular player with built-in HD. On the bottom of the unit, put a slot covered by some "doors" to protect it. Ideally, this socket is a regular USB2 connection (on the go, ofcourse), in some kind of socket form instead of regular connector type.
That way, you could hook up another HD to the unit, transfer items with a nice menu,... With a couple special slots in the main unit, where the "extra device" can attach (click) itself into.

It's great for expansion, think about the possibilities: want a card reader? extra batterypack perhaps? want a docking station? want whatever-handy-dandy-device-you-want? add a blender and a microwave oven, whatever you like...
Such a thing wouldn't require a lot of extra work, the hardest thing will be to find a suitable place for the slot I guess.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to: