July 22, 2017, 05:41:38 pm
News:
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Vote on bugs and enhancements  (Read 31587 times)
kleinbull(at)yahoo.com

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 02:19:14 am »

The selections that come up to post on the bugzilla site don't seem to indicate a post preference for R2 firmware.  When selecting "firmware" as the primary option, it looks like the secondary pull-down appears to be related to  Neuros Audio Player.   

My previous reply in this post is a request for the R2 firmware since I was confused about where to post on the bugzilla site.   

I think you have a strong product and thank you for your foresight to bring it to market...I hope you have a patent cause I saw there is a new gunslinger in town.    From what I've experienced so far with my R2, you should be at least .75 to 1 with PSP owners considering the functionality you are providing to PSP owners.   

I think you have a great product, but keep moving strongly forward and don't rest on your laurels.  Don't give up the fight, satisfied customers are one the the best forms of advertising you can hope for in the world. 

kleinbull
JoeBorn
Neuros Audio Team
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 04:45:18 pm »

You are definately right on all accounts.  Bugzilla is confusing in that regard.  Firmware refers to N1&N2 firmware.  R2 Firmware is under MPEG-4 Rec >Firmware

And we're definately not resting on our Laurels, check out http://wiki.neurostechnology.com/index.php/Neuros_OSD

jborn (at) neurostechnology.com
#neuros on freenode.net
bobkart

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 12:39:12 am »

If you are still taking suggestions for firmware improvements for the R2, mine would echo those of several others in this Topic:

- visual confirmation that the unit is turned on
 - a way to turn on AutoRecord permanently

Ideally as long as it has power, as soon as a video signal is present, it would start recording.
But if that's not possible, then as long as it's turned on (with visual indication that it's on!), AutoRecord should work.

This whole thing where AutoRecord is turned off after it is used makes it practically useless.  At the end of each AutoRecording I must find a TV screen, hook it up, and navigate through menus to turn Autorecord back on.  Or resort to manual recording which is what usually happens.

Thanks for listening.
hrlaser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 09:01:47 pm »

Hi Joe

I wrote the 4000 word review of the Recorder 2 Plus that went up on TreoCentral yesterday. As you probably know, I had MANY phone calls with Johan while prepping to review the unit, and he was extremely patient and listened to everything I said. Give that man a raise!

I trust you've read my review by now. I mentioned some of the quirks with the unit, but I'll list them here in what I think are order of importance - if you can fix any of these things in a firmware upgrade, I'd love to see it happen.. so here we go:

(But first, let me mention that I play back files I've made with the Recorder 2 plus ON the recorder and my teevee, ON my laptop with VLC, and ON my Treos with TCPMP.. so I use all three methods of playback.. not necessarily with everything I record, but I watch the stuff I record all three ways..) ..

- The "feature" I like the least: get rid of the two hour recording limit. I mainly record commercial-free movies from premium cable channels and MANY films run over two hours. I get a20-30 second gap (whether I've started the recorder manually or via timer) when it hits the two hour mark, closes the first file and opens the second to get the rest of the movie. This seems like an artificial limit and I can't comprehend why it's there

-PAUSE during recording - let me pause during recording, same as I can pause during playback. This would be especially useful when recording shows with commercials in them and any VCR can pause during recording.

- 12 hour timers with AM/PM indicators: Make the timers 12 hours with an AM/PM indicator like every VCR I've ever seen has. And when scrolling up or down through hours or minutes when setting a timer, say Iwant to set a timer for 9:30pm, if the digits are at 00 i literally have to punch the up or down button thirty times to get to :30.Fix it so holding down the button increments or decrements the timer hour and minute counters at an increasing speed the longer one holds down the button.

- Zero out used timers: Zero out any timer after it's been used. In other words, like a VCR, if I set it to record a show from 10pm to midnight, and it records tothe tape, afterwards, that timer is gone from the VCR's timer screen. On the Neuros, the "old" timers are still set to the date and time they made a recording. This seems pointless and strange.

- Visual recording or timer on indicator: Make the red LED blink when the unit is recording, or when timers are set for future recordngs. If this drives some people nuts, then make it a toggle.

- When was this recording made? Put a timestamp on each recording so when it's played back ON the Neuros, and the white overlay is visible with the remote's display button, it shows when that recording was made: mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm instead of showing the current time, or in addition toshowing the current time

- FF/RW speed indicator: When using FF/RW mode, indicate on the overlay which speed FF or RW you're using. There SEEM to be five speeds but there's no visual indication as to which speed it's going

- Card space remaining in real time during recording: Decrement the space available on the card, in real time, on the recording screen white text overlay AS the recording is in progress. In other words, I'm looking at the overlay and it says I have "1006 MB/260 Min" left on the card. I hit record. Those numbers stay static. I'd like to see them decrement to show me how much space is left on the card AS a recording is being  made, not just AFTER a recording has been made and the file has closed.

- Renaming files: How about an On Screen Keyboard so one can rename recorded files on the card while it's in the Neuros? "MV400023.MP4" doesn't tell me much about what that file is, and I usually have to play it because the preview window shows me one frame which may or may not be enough visual information to tell what show or film it is. Let me rename the files with an OSK so, for example, instead of displaying MV400023.MP4 in the list of files on the card, it would display "Unforgiven" or "Annie Hall" or "Curb Your Enthusaism #12" or  whatever I typed into it.

- Resume and Bookmarking. If I'm watching a movie play back on the Neuros, and I leave the playback screen, and go back to it again, I have to FF back to where I was to continue watching from that point. In other words, I'd like a "resume" feature. Make the unit either remember where it was if one leaves playback mode, or allow one to put bookmarks in a file AS it's playing and then jump to them.  Like if I want to bookmark particularly memorable scenes in a film, how in the world am I supposed to remember where in a 2-3 hour movie a certain scene is only by its HH:MM:SS??..

I'll stop there. Don't get the impression I don't like the product. I gave it TreoCentral's highest rating in my review.

I just think it needs the stuff I listed above. If you could only fix ONE Of those things, the two hour time limit per file is the one that drives me batty the most.  Grin

Regards,

Harv
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 09:23:21 pm by hrlaser » Logged
bobkart

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 09:16:57 pm »

According to this Topic, the 2-hour limit is in the hardware (4MB RAM), unless a different file wrapper is utilized:

http://forums.neurostechnology.com/smf/index.php?topic=7398.0

Just FYI.
hrlaser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 09:27:12 pm »

According to this Topic, the 2-hour limit is in the hardware (4MB RAM), unless a different file wrapper is utilized:

http://forums.neurostechnology.com/smf/index.php?topic=7398.0

Just FYI.

I guess I simply don't understand how 4mb of ram in the machine translates to a 2 hour recording limit when I've created recordings up to 800mb in size (a two hour movie in 320x240 "normal" mode = an 800mb file).. how is the amount of internal RAM directly related to the 2 hour per file recording limit? Are you saying it buffers 4mb of data at a time and then writes it to the open file and then buffers another 4mb of data? If that's what it's doing, then why should it care about the final recording time limit?  I'm not an engineer so as Denzel Washington might have said in "Philadelphia".. explain it to me like I'm a 9 year old  Wink

Harv
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 09:29:23 pm by hrlaser » Logged
bobkart

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 09:33:30 pm »

Here are the relevant quotes from that Topic:
Yes, I'm with you, it's incredibly annoying.  I've also asked if we could have it bumped to 2.5 hours.  The trouble is that the .mp4 format requires some kind of table thats stored in ram.  it's apparantly a big table that maxes out the 4MB of RAM on the system at 2 hours.  Apparantly it could be fixed by using another recording format, but then that wouldn't play on the PSP or iPod.  Unfortunately, those are the options we have with the R2 hardware right now.
From what I have been told, the only software fix is to use a different file wrapper (ie. avi or asf).  Let me get with the folks here to see what we can do about some kind of exchange or upgrade type program...
So I am just going by what I have read.

I agree it is a serious shortcoming.
mete

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 05:33:37 pm »

While recording, if the power suddenly cut off, we always see that the capacity of recorded file inside the memory card shows 0 (zero) KB.  So, we are not able to get recorded files in sudden cut off power.
a. Is this problem caused whether from software or hardware?
b. Has this problem been solved in any firmware?
c. Is there any way to recover this type of files?
georgep

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 10:38:27 am »

Two enhancements to the recorder 2 in order of importance to me:

1) 2-hour recording limitation for MP4 files. The several second gap before the initiation of the next segment adds to the overhead. Ideally, I want to record a contiguous program up to 4 hours in length. The current implementation requires intervention both during and post recording. First, I must rewind a couple of minutes of a movie to ensure there is no gap in the second segment. Second, I must combine the two segments in an editing program into a final "gapless" recording.

2) Power light: Green LED should be off when power is off and on when unit is turned on.  If one needs to verify availability of power it is simple enough to cycle the power switch.
1_blue_pixel
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2006, 03:37:48 pm »

For what it's worth, I also would like the green light to show if the unit is on, rather than it being on all the time.

Also, if possible, to be able to pause/resume recording without creating a new file. But that probably can't be done.
dslunceford

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2006, 08:09:24 pm »

For what it's worth, I also would like the green light to show if the unit is on, rather than it being on all the time.

Also, if possible, to be able to pause/resume recording without creating a new file. But that probably can't be done.

+1; having the green light on should indicate unit on, not simply powered.

Also, need 12 hour (am/pm) format...

Would be nice to set the desired recording time/duration for recording in quick setup; having just 1, 2 or 3 hours is limiting, especially if you are recording a typical 30 minute sitcom or movie of known length.
AggieDoc

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 04:09:59 pm »

I'm a newbie to the list and to the Neuros MPEG-4 Recorder 2.  I bought my unit before Christmas but only started using it yesterday.

Enhancement requests:

The ability to pause while recording (my first VCR could do this back in 1978!)
The ability to record in 320X320 format (my Treo 700p has this format screen).

Actually, whatever format they use to record MP4s at www.refrederator.com would be just Perfect for me.  And they have good volume levels too.  My Recorder 2 records at very low volume levels!

I checked the firmware edition on my unit and found it to be very early, 1.0.03 or some such.  I updated successfully to the latest version, but skipped an update that addresses low volume levels.  Can I go back to a lower number firmware update?  Do I need to, or was it supposedly incorporated in the lastest update as well?

Thanks.
AggieDoc

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 05:06:13 pm »

Hi Joe

(snip)

- The "feature" I like the least: get rid of the two hour recording limit. I mainly record commercial-free movies from premium cable channels and MANY films run over two hours. I get a20-30 second gap (whether I've started the recorder manually or via timer) when it hits the two hour mark, closes the first file and opens the second to get the rest of the movie. This seems like an artificial limit and I can't comprehend why it's there

I spent a week or so reading the manual before I tried to connect the Recorder 2 (little did I know that I had expected a 2 PLUS but gotten a 2 from the online retailer).  The only thing I got from that experience was the fact that Neuros MPEG-4 Recorder 2 uses the FAT16 format.  Further research indicates that FAT16 can only address datablocks up to 2GB in size.  This creates the existing limit on the size of a recorded file.  One can use smaller file formats and lesser resolutions to compress movies into 2GB.  I recorded the first half of the Orange Bowl Game last night in a 133MB file. 

Let me assure y0u that the finest level/largest format Neuros Recorder can achieve does NOT look good on my 60" HDTV.  That's what I've got those DVD recorders for.  Conversely, I like the quality of the 320X240/30fps files at FINE resolution on my Treo 700p but they look letterboxed on it's square 320X320 screen.  Why not give us an option for a square format too??

I made the mistake of following instructions and formatting one of my 1GB CF cards using the Neuros Recorder 2.  It recorded OK, but the card could not be read by my PC laptop and card reader.  I was convinced the Neuros was a bust and would need to be returned.  THEN I used the other 1GB CF card in it's native state.  It was not new, but had it's Canon EOS files deleted and was blank.
It recorded AND was recognized by the PC's card reader!  I was able to move the MPEG4 file over to an SD card for use on the Treo.  My wife then took the unreadable CF card into her Mac Laptop's cardreader...which recognized it and formatted it in "MS-DOS".  It now works on my PC.

Since both CF cards are only 1GB I don't know if the formatting is FAT16 or not.  The instruction manual seemed to expect that anything in CF format larger than 2GB would be a Hitachi MicroDrive, and indicated that it would see such a drive as a series of 2GB volumes and record very large files from one to the next...with some time loss in the switching process.  ("It's in the book.")  I assume it would treat a true CF card the same way, but don't know about formatting.  To address files larger than 2GB, they would have to be using the FAT32 system.  I believe that is the current PC standard format.  FAT32 has a max. file size of "only" 4GB.    FAT64 is on the horizon as multiTerrabyte systems will require it.  (Remember when PCs had 64K RAM and modems were 4kbps??)

I would like to have a very large CF card just to play with, but I'm not really that adventurous.  My wife has a 700p as well and already did the trick of using Treo 680 files to gain access to an 8GB SDHC card.  Since I don't even have a card reader that will address SDHC format I'm hanging back to see how things go.

-PAUSE during recording - let me pause during recording, same as I can pause during playback. This would be especially useful when recording shows with commercials in them and any VCR can pause during recording.

I concur.

(Snip)

dongle

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007, 04:12:35 pm »

Joe,

This thread was started in 2005, do you still stand by the statement :

"We currently have the ability to make some fixes/enhancements to the R2 firmware, and we want your input"

Just interested as to how much effort, if any, Neuros will put into new suggestions.....

Cheers
JEFFH

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 05:48:27 am »

The Last R2 firmware update was released in Aug 2006 and I belive that was the last one they had planned.
Neuros has moved on to  OSD and has their work cut out with its development.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: