September 25, 2017, 12:05:31 pm
News:
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: losing recorded video on shutdown  (Read 15698 times)
shawn92129(at)hotmail.com

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2006, 09:21:36 pm »

i just purchased the recorder 2 for in car racing videos.  when the recorder is shutoff while recording the video wont playback.  shows up as 0kb.  i figure the other file thm is a temp file and is the file and i just need to rename it. i dont have a cf card reader so now i have to get  one to rename the file. the 4gb drive does show a lot of space used up so i figure its there.  very inconvient when not having a laptop or pc around.  autorecover or abilty to play the temp files would be nice.  also would be really cool to just record to cf disk without compression at all.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 02:04:13 pm »

alright went and bought a CF card reader.  so the thm files are also 0kb.  this thing is getting sent back unless theres a fix.  if simply turning off the recorder after an hour of recording erases the file its useless for any action shooting - in car, helmet cam, etc. now the CF shows 700mb being used so i still think the file is somewhere.  where?
Ex-Navy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 11:17:48 am »

Don't be so quick as to blame the R2. Your memory could be the problem.
Since you did not have the card reader before, you probably have not
pre-formatted it on a pc.
I had the same issue as you, so I formatted the CF even though I had
recorded files on it. Guess what, when I formatted it, the files appeared.

quote:
Originally posted by shawn92129(at)hotmail.com

alright went and bought a CF card reader.  so the thm files are also 0kb.  this thing is getting sent back unless theres a fix.  if simply turning off the recorder after an hour of recording erases the file its useless for any action shooting - in car, helmet cam, etc. now the CF shows 700mb being used so i still think the file is somewhere.  where?

Ex-Navy

Ex-Navy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 02:45:19 pm »

i formatted the cf with the R2 before any recording.  the problem is easily repeatable. start recording - instead of hitting 'stop recording',  unplug the power.  turn back on and the file you where recording is 0kb - but check available recording space and youll see total available space is down appropriately as if your file is somewhere hidden.  ill be booting up linux to try and find the files tonight.
I Was A Teenage Hand Model
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 02:49:56 pm »

The operation that you are describing sounds a lot like pulling all of the cables out of the back of a PC while downloading or uploading a file, rather than waiting for the action to complete and then shutting down properly.

In either case it would not really be a bug, but more of an incorrect use with predictable outcome.  The unit must be stopped to correctly save a full recording.

You are only receiving a fragment.  Try stopping the recording and then shutting down the device properly.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 11:23:46 pm »

well one step closer to having my in car racing camera setup work. created a custom power supply off of (2) 9 volt batteries in series with voltage regulators putting out 5 volts for r2 and 12 volts for the bullet cam.  for some reason i didnt think to look at the max discharge rate of the 9 volts. i had energizer industrial lithiums - only rated at 120ma max discharge rate.  they where very hot [:0] to touch when i disconnected them after a few minutes use. oh and the camera was upside down.[Cheesy]
sponge

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 12:29:48 am »

quote:
Originally posted by shawn92129(at)hotmail.com

i just purchased the recorder 2 for in car racing videos.  when the recorder is shutoff while recording the video wont playback.  shows up as 0kb.

Very interesting, I used mine today to record 4 autocross runs and got the exact same behavior. Five movies are listed...
1) First run, 59 MB, looks fine
2) One frame from the end of the the first movie, 0 KB, I did not record this movie, it spontaneously showed up, ?
3) Second run, 0 KB
4) Third run, 0 KB
5) Fourth run, 0 KB

Both Neuros and Windows reports ~311 MB used on this 512MB card, so I figure that (hopefully) the other movies are there. It is possible that the power cord did come loose on one of the later runs, but not for all of them. And I definitely turned off the recorder with the remote. So any ideas on how to recover the lost movies ?

Chris
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 12:31:58 am by sponge » Logged

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 10:00:41 am »

quote:

Very interesting, I used mine today to record 4 autocross runs and got the exact same behavior. Five movies are listed...
1) First run, 59 MB, looks fine
2) One frame from the end of the the first movie, 0 KB, I did not record this movie, it spontaneously showed up, ?
3) Second run, 0 KB
4) Third run, 0 KB
5) Fourth run, 0 KB

Both Neuros and Windows reports ~311 MB used on this 512MB card, so I figure that (hopefully) the other movies are there. It is possible that the power cord did come loose on one of the later runs, but not for all of them. And I definitely turned off the recorder with the remote. So any ideas on how to recover the lost movies ?

Chris

good luck - i bet some undelete program might be able to get them. i didnt feel like spending more money though.  i did boot up a linux rescue disc and gave it about 1 minute but had another event coming the next weekend so concentrated on a power supply.

what autox? i was just at one by NASA mid atlantic at west point.

what are you using for a power supply?
sponge

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 10:25:42 am »

I'll probably try out an undelete program next unless someone from Neuros chimes in with another suggestion.
The zero-byte movie does seem to be related to removing the power from the recorder before you stop the recording. Unfortunately it also seems like that once that happens the first time, then all subsequent movies also get marked as zero-byte, even if you stop the recording and turn off the unit normally.

I autocross with Texas Spokes in Austin and was at an event at Texas A&M on Sunday. I have the top paxed run of the day recorded, so I anxious to see if I can recover it.
I built a 5V power supply fed from the 12V cigarette lighter. The borrowed bullet camera I used had it's own power from a block of 8 AA batteries.

-Chris

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 01:47:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sponge

I'll probably try out an undelete program next unless someone from Neuros chimes in with another suggestion.
The zero-byte movie does seem to be related to removing the power from the recorder before you stop the recording. Unfortunately it also seems like that once that happens the first time, then all subsequent movies also get marked as zero-byte, even if you stop the recording and turn off the unit normally.

I autocross with Texas Spokes in Austin and was at an event at Texas A&M on Sunday. I have the top paxed run of the day recorded, so I anxious to see if I can recover it.
I built a 5V power supply fed from the 12V cigarette lighter. The borrowed bullet camera I used had it's own power from a block of 8 AA batteries.

-Chris

cool let me know if you recover the file. most of them will allow you to download a demo that will let you know if there are recoverable files.  it just wont undelete unless you pay Smiley  i ran the neuros off of the car the first time and had the 0kb issue, plus it was to clunky. so R2 went to its own battery supply. everything fits in the glove compartment with one cord coming out for bullet cam.  just need to beef up batteries for more amps.  actually had an issue with stopping record - i attribute to the inadequate 9v batteries - had to unplug to stop.  i have a bunch of 0kb files from before but had tested the unit after switching to batteries without formating no problem.
FJ
Neuros Team
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 06:37:01 pm »

Did you test only one card or you have the opportunity to test the recorder with another card? Also did you get a chance to test the recorder with a normal setup before installing it in your car?

FJ

FJ
sponge

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 12:29:18 am »

In my case I've only used the one card in my recorder so far. I did record some test movies with a normal setup (input from my dvd player, hooked to AC with the supplied adapter) and didn't have any problems.

I was planning on doing some further tests to try to narrow down exactly what causes the zero bytes files, but haven't had time. First I was trying to see if I could recover any of the lost movies; no joy so far.

Chris

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 08:59:33 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FJ

Did you test only one card or you have the opportunity to test the recorder with another card? Also did you get a chance to test the recorder with a normal setup before installing it in your car?

FJ

yeah tested plugged in at home holding the bullet cam before setting up in car.  the first in car setup was with an dc/ac converter and using power supply that came with R2.  had that in my glovebox Smiley  just running around town video was no problem. recorded driving to event. hit stop record when i got there. hit record before my runs. checked inbetween runs that red light was still on.  after last run my codriver had shut the car off. when i checked, the R2 was powered off.  that video shows up as 0kb and the card had over 700mb used up but not in the files i could see. i then confirmed in my house, off of house power, that unplugging the R2 while recording loses that recording - shows up as 0kb even though available space goes down.  2nd auto event i made my own powersupply but undersized the batter pack.  next event ill have a stack of batteries.  i have more time to test now. things where rushed for last 2 events.

havent tested any other cards - just the hitachi microdrive.
FJ
Neuros Team
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 11:34:33 am »

Since your microdrive has moving parts, I wonder if it can lead to corrupted files because of the conditions you are recording in (I imagine your set up sees a lot of vibrations). It would be interesting to see if you can get better results by using a flash card.

FJ

FJ

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 05:57:34 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by FJ

Since your microdrive has moving parts, I wonder if it can lead to corrupted files because of the conditions you are recording in (I imagine your set up sees a lot of vibrations). It would be interesting to see if you can get better results by using a flash card.

FJ

that is a concern of mine - after checking specs on hitachi site its operational at 200G over 2ms. i think im just having power supply issues. obvisously id rather not lose recordings if the R2 loses power - frustrating since its writing to nonvolatile memory and i cant rerecord the event. i also understand this is not the intended use of the product.  ordering some RC car batteries tomorrow. should be good to power everything for 3 hours or so. ill also be fabricating a more stable,vibration resistant holder - ie some rubber mounts.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: