September 21, 2017, 02:38:30 pm
News:
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: losing recorded video on shutdown  (Read 15685 times)
sponge

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 06:12:46 pm »

I agree and was going to suggest you don't use microdrives since I've heard they can be fragile. I was using solid state compact flash, though, so my corrupt(zero-byte) files are not caused by a bad card. Some investigative work by a friend last night showed that my CF card had 3 copies of the FAT on it when there should only be 2. He's looking at it again tonight. Stay tuned.  

Chris
FJ
Neuros Team
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 08:21:18 pm »

Hope you can recover the files. There are a few tools to do that out there, but I don't know any free ones. You will have to reformat your card before you record again though.

FJ
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 08:21:55 pm by FJ » Logged

FJ
Le Djé

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 06:49:03 am »

Hi,

I had the same 0k file problem yesterday. (enormous jetski wave session)
File present with recorder 2 but no video playable.
Windows display that the card is 90% full so i try to use easy recovery tool to extract lost bytes fron card.
I got them but unreadable.
Do you know any tool to repair this MP4 files?

Jérôme

Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 03:40:53 pm »

Well in order for a file to be saved properly, once your done with the recording press the record button, and let it save properly.  If you stop it by shutting it down, most of the time the files will not save properly, and it will just end up corrupted.

With great powers, come great responsibility!

Uncle Ben
Le Djé

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 05:54:20 am »

Well in order for a file to be saved properly, once your done with the recording press the record button, and let it save properly.  If you stop it by shutting it down, most of the time the files will not save properly, and it will just end up corrupted.

Yep! I understand that and knew it but now i'm looking for a solution to recover corrupted mp4 files.
The video is still existing, Videolan can count the pictures (ctrl+i then stats tab) but not display it (of course).
I'm sure someone has allready write a small software to do it.
i will not give up and i will not erase this great video of an exceptionnal session of jet freeride in "ile de ré" untill i found THE solution!

greetings from france,

Jérôme
Weston

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 10:14:19 am »

I'm having the same problem... I recorded a pretty good race, but something happened and my Recorder 2+ stopped responding to the remote control (and I confirmed that it is emitting infrared pulses), so I was forced to cut power and try to recover the incomplete files. I was able to write a small program that located the MP4 file headers and extracted the files, but I can't get them to play. I imagine that the file header information, such as length/size, doesn't get set until the recording stops properly, so maybe that's all my problem is. When I have some time, I'd like to dig through the MP4 file specs, figure out what I need to do, and write a simple recovery program (which I'd share with everyone, of course)... It would be very helpful if one of the Neuros people could point me in the right direction and give me some indication of what the Recorder 2 is doing to finalize the file when you properly stop recording.
bobkart

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 04:10:30 pm »

It is a well-known problem (the one described in the original post).  Cutting the power in the middle of a recording will do exactly what you are seeing every time (0KB file).  I doubt any fix to the R2 is forthcoming, it's pretty hard to do anything once you lose power.  Maybe a capacitor in there and something that tells the software it has lost power, giving it the extra fraction of a second it needs to close the file properly would help.

WIll it work for you to just not cut power in the middle of a recording?  I.e. stop the recording before cutting power.  I have mine hooked up to a camera that is powerd only when the ignition is on (but the recorder is battery powered).  Once I turn off the engine it stops recording (takes a second or so for the red LED to go out).  Then I can safely unplug the battery power.

Regarding the post just above mine, I have had that happen a time or two.  Unfortunately I just lose the recording when that happens.  It is quite rare though.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:13:30 pm by bobkart » Logged
Totto

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 09:25:56 am »

Hopefully waiting for al solution. I ?ve got the same 0 Kb Problem, because my CF Card fall out of my Neuros...
 Undecided
Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 10:43:44 am »

Well basically, if you stop the recording by disconnecting the power, or the card falling out, its not going to finalize properly. Thus giving you a 0KB file.  I recommend stopping the recording by pressing the record button, and letting it save properly, this will take a few seconds.

Uncle Ben
Advanguard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 09:07:19 am »

I had the same problem, the driver would pull the power plug before stopping the recording.
I figured out, that when the power gets pulled while recording, its does not close the encapsulation for the file, rendering it a useless file. I tried file repair programs, did not work.
For the future, ensure that you press stop on the recording before kiling the power. After pressing stop the files is closed out (encapsulated), then you can power on and off between heats.

Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 03:29:37 pm »

So bottom line, be sure to stop the recording by pressing the record button, and let the file save successfully.

Uncle Ben
biking_brian

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 10:31:19 pm »

So did anyone ever come up with something to recover the lost data?  I made a battery pack for my R2, but I forgot to charge it, and it ran out of power before I could stop the recording.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: