September 24, 2017, 05:56:53 pm
News:
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: A 300GB 442???  (Read 16691 times)
Ex-Navy

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2006, 08:47:28 pm »

This guy hacked his Ipod to include a 300GB 3.5 HD

Let's see if we can do the same to a 442.

http://www.command-tab.com/2005/03/13/ipod-super/

I'm takin mine apart.........for the hell of it........

Ex-Navy

Ex-Navy
Gunderstorm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 01:21:55 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ex-Navy

Why not?  You have 12 more in case you break it.
Ex-Navy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 08:26:21 pm »

12 NR2's not the 442

quote:
Originally posted by Gunderstorm

quote:
Originally posted by Ex-Navy

Why not?  You have 12 more in case you break it.

Ex-Navy

Ex-Navy
Scanman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 07:47:09 pm »

Ex-Navy, were you ever able to put a new hard drive in yours..  I was watching it on my TV tonight and my dog knocked it off the table, now the hard drive makes an aweful noise.. I am pretty sure it's done for..  I was one of the few who actually liked and could live with it's flaws.. I would hate to have to go buy something else now.

Thanks.
Scanman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 10:47:26 am »

Well, I figured I had nothing to loose.  Neuros wanted me to send the unit back for them to look at then decide if they would fix it under warranty.  So, I opened her up and threw in a spare 20gb laptop drive that I had.  Worked right away.  Took a little longer to boot up the first time, but runs like a charm.  Just ordered a 100gb drive. I'll let you know how it goes.
ice.skillz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 12:27:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Scanman

Well, I figured I had nothing to loose.  Neuros wanted me to send the unit back for them to look at then decide if they would fix it under warranty.  So, I opened her up and threw in a spare 20gb laptop drive that I had.  Worked right away.  Took a little longer to boot up the first time, but runs like a charm.  Just ordered a 100gb drive. I'll let you know how it goes.

Very, Very Nice! Let us know on how well it went.

like my sig

like my sig
Scanman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 02:14:51 pm »

So far so good. Put in fresh 100gb 5400 rpm seagate monentus drive (same brand and model as the one that was in it, except larger and faster).

On first boot, it asked if I wanted to format the drive, I sayd yes, and within about 3 minutes, I had 95gb of useable space.  Sweet!!!

I copied a few pictures and was able to view them, but my video collection is on my PC at home, so tonight I will load it up and let you all know the result.  As of now, it's working great!!
ice.skillz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 04:38:43 pm »

What type of HD did you use? Does it had to be a Laptop HD? Is installing it pretty fair and isn't rock science? Info please, I'm not expecting this to be easy, but you all got me very curious!

My HD isn't spinning. My poor 442. [xx(]

like my sig

like my sig
Scanman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 09:29:53 am »

It is a standard Laptop 2.5 inch drive.  The drive that comes with the 442 is a Seagate Momentus OEM drive at 4800 rpm.  I got a new Seagate Momentus, 100gb 5400 rpm drive.  the power specs were identical, so I was not worried about battery life.  This drive has less vibration than the original, so that's a bonus.

Last night I copied about 30gb of TV to it from my MythTV box and charged it.  I am sitting here at work and it is just running through videos, so far I am at 3 hours and only have lost one block on the battery meter.  Good enough for me. My longest airplane flight is 5 hours, so this is plenty for me.

Was it rocket science? No.  4 screws on the outside, 2 small ribbon cables ad the front comes off (needs a little prying, there are tabs on the top black piece that hold to the metal sides.  4 screws and another ribbon cable holdng the main board down.  4 screws holding the HD holder down to the back of the case...  Pop out the old, put the new one in, put everything back together.  The 442 even formatted the drive for me!!  I thought that was cool.  I had about 95gb of formatted space available.  Pretty straight forward and easy for someone comfortable opening small devices.

Can't complain.

Here's a link to the drive I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006FS268/sr=8-1/qid=1154096486/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5368700-3229731?ie=UTF8

Link to some guy who opened his 442:
http://devices.natetrue.com/442dissection/

Not sure if you could use a notebook drive adapter to a full size drive or not??  I don't have any adapters, and really no reason to, so I will leave that up to someone else to figure out.[Cheesy][Cheesy]

Glad I did it... I can live with the quirks of this device. I wanted something simple that would play and record standard video files, and this does that very well. [Smiley][Smiley]
JEFFH

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 07:15:55 am »

Scanman,
Thanks for posting your hardrive replacement experience.
Can you clarify if 442 operating system files need to be copied to the new harddrive or not?
It sounds like from your post the 442 has a internal ROM that will format and install the OS when a new hardrive is detected.
Scanman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 03:43:26 pm »

Well. With the inoperable hard drive, I was able to still play files from the SD card slot. So that tells me that the "OS" resides in ROM somewhere...

I did nothing to the drive prior to installation.  Took it out of the box, opened the static envelope it was sealed in and installed it.  When I put everything back together and turned on the Neuros for the first time, it had a window "format drive?  Yes No"  I selected yes and in about 5 minutes, I was looking at the standard startup menu.

Also, to test my theory that it was just a standard laptop drive with nothing special, I took a laptop hard drive that I had in an external enclosure and put it in the 442.  The 442 started up as normal and was able to see all the files and folders, did not do anything special.. I did notice that it created a couple of *.m3u files and when I used the PVR and Voice functions, it created those directories, but otherwise did not put any other files on the HD.

So to make a long story short, I think that everything that the 442 needs to operate is contained in ROM and the HD is just storage, nothing else fancy.  

Oh, in case anyone else cares, the format of the drive is vfat.

Derek

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 10:59:24 pm »

if you get this working, you should submit it as a monthly project here:

www.firelikethis.com

When I was a kid my mom used to tell me that curiosity killed the cat...What she forgot to tell me was that it also discovered the cat, invented the lightbulb, and forged the Neuros

When I was a kid my mom used to tell me that curiosity killed the cat...What she forgot to tell me was that it also discovered the cat, invented the lightbulb, and forged the Neuros
RockGarden

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 09:08:19 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Scanman

It is a standard Laptop 2.5 inch drive.  The drive that comes with the 442 is a Seagate Momentus OEM drive at 4800 rpm.  I got a new Seagate Momentus, 100gb 5400 rpm drive.  the power specs were identical, so I was not worried about battery life.  This drive has less vibration than the original, so that's a bonus.

Last night I copied about 30gb of TV to it from my MythTV box and charged it.  I am sitting here at work and it is just running through videos, so far I am at 3 hours and only have lost one block on the battery meter.  Good enough for me. My longest airplane flight is 5 hours, so this is plenty for me.

Was it rocket science? No.  4 screws on the outside, 2 small ribbon cables ad the front comes off (needs a little prying, there are tabs on the top black piece that hold to the metal sides.  4 screws and another ribbon cable holdng the main board down.  4 screws holding the HD holder down to the back of the case...  Pop out the old, put the new one in, put everything back together.  The 442 even formatted the drive for me!!  I thought that was cool.  I had about 95gb of formatted space available.  Pretty straight forward and easy for someone comfortable opening small devices.

Can't complain.

Here's a link to the drive I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006FS268/sr=8-1/qid=1154096486/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5368700-3229731?ie=UTF8

Link to some guy who opened his 442:
http://devices.natetrue.com/442dissection/

Not sure if you could use a notebook drive adapter to a full size drive or not??  I don't have any adapters, and really no reason to, so I will leave that up to someone else to figure out.[Cheesy][Cheesy]

Glad I did it... I can live with the quirks of this device. I wanted something simple that would play and record standard video files, and this does that very well. [Smiley][Smiley]

Thanks for the info on this!! I didn't have the balls to try it myself. Since it worked for you I picked 2 120GB Seagate hard drives and replaced the one in my 442 and the other in N2. So far they both appear to be functioning normally. The N2 worried me but the unit formatted the new hard drive just fine. Needless to say...I'm fat, dumb, and happy!!
Scanman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 10:27:43 am »

Glad I could help. I was hoping to inject some spark in this forum.
Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 04:05:35 pm »

I will turn this into a sticky, because it is good for everyone to know.

With great powers, come great responsibility!

Uncle Ben
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: