September 21, 2017, 02:36:13 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: will the n2 operate on plugged in power only?  (Read 5230 times)
rem

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2006, 04:47:40 pm »

hi,

new to the neuros mp3 player here.  i was wondering about the day when the battery finally dies and will no longer hold a charge.  will the player still operate if it's constantly plugged in?  since i plan to use it mainly in the car, replacing the battery isn't a critical thing for me if it works without a battery.

also, if it does work with a dead battery (but plugged in, of course), does the battery need to be connected for the power to pass through or can i open up the player and physically disconnect the battery?

can anyone who's experienced battery problems shed light on this?

thanks.

hue

hue
Ned Nederlander
Intraweb Detective

I am a Neuros employee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 10:32:23 am »

In theory you should be able to use the unit despite the battery being dead. Of course it would be more likely to randomly shut off or just give your trouble in general if you are running the unit off of a dead battery. We plan on stocking replacement batteries for a few years so feel free to contact us when if you ever need/want to replace your battery.

Neuros Team

all my pokemon bring the girls to the yard
and they're like you wanna trade cards
damn right i wanna trade cards
i'll trade you but not my charizard
rem

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 02:22:38 pm »

confirmed!  i took the unit apart, took the battery out and put the unit back together.  then i tested with the usb cable and the wall power adapter.  neither would power up the backpack unit nor the player unit.
it appears that the battery serves as the only power source.

as all 2.5" drives can by powered by usb power alone, i don't understand why it was designed this way.  the circuitry should have been designed to accept power directly from the usb cable and/or the power connector.

if a dead battery still allows the unit to function with power constantly supplied through the power connector, i would assume that the battery connector on the board can be shorted to allow a direct flow of power from the outside to the unit.  is this correct?  i guess that's an experiment for another day.

hue

hue
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 11:54:48 am »

I would presume the system uses the battery as a capacitor when running off of wall power, hence why "It might, it might not", depending on what exactly is wrong with the (mostly) dead batteries.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: