September 21, 2017, 02:36:17 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Alternate Software/Firmware for Neruos 2?  (Read 6241 times)
SlinkingFerret

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2006, 07:57:43 am »

I'm sorry, I really tried.

I used to have an Archos MP3 player and it acted like a hard drive. Drop mp3s onto the disc, the Archos could explore the directory structure you create (bypasses any non music files you store there), read id3 tags and play playlists. Easy.

I've had my Neuros for a bit longer than a year and I procrastinate on putting new music on it because it's such a vile process that takes so much time.

Just deleting files from the thing takes like 20 minutes of Syncing. Thats just removing the info from the "database". Then the software screws up on albums that it adds itself and can't find them again. Channging Tags using their software is like an undead creature slowly draining the life from me. And my choices are to use their software or move the files back to my PC and use a tag editor on my PC and put them back on the Neuros.

Why the hell do you have to jump through hoops? It's a Neuros 2. This means there was a first one and this is either a better solution (omg, my sympathies for Neuros 1 owners then) or they didn't think this awful solution had anything wrong with it. Please tell me that they fixed things with the newer models.

Anywho, I remember my Archos you could download alternate Firmware for it, which speeded it up or gave it special abilities/functions. Is this possible for the Neuros 2? Or even something that works better than their Sync Manager?
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 12:57:09 pm »

Which sync manager are you using? NSM, NDBM, or Sorune?

There are a good number of posts on here asking about sync managers, and it's fairly unanimous that NDBM and Sorune are the superior options.  (No offense meant to the NSM team.)  Either way, all three are open source, so if you want an extra feature or a bug squished, you can do it yourself or commission someone else to.

Personally, I'd reccommend NDBM.  Also, make sure you're using the USB2.0 cable (The custom job that plugs into the backpack.)  The USB1.1 port is DEAD SLOW.  Why?  Because it's USB1.1.
SlinkingFerret

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 01:09:06 pm »

Yeah I feel guilty that the Neuros team did all that work and I'm sure it must be doing more because it's slower than sin.

I was using the basic Neuros software. NSM is that?

Someone suggested Sorune and just reconstructing the database with that after using an ID3 Tag editor and moving files onto the hard drive manually. I got confused and couldn't get it to work right (as a computer programmer I get frustrated fast when something doesn't seem to be working as it looks like it should). It just didn't seem to be getting rid of the old Neuros Database file and I was getting duplicate entries (half of them invalid).

I was starting to think of just using the "File Manager" to play music, then I tried the NDBM. Despite the fact that it was a Java app, its was signifigantly faster (this thing would blaze in C!) than the default software. I was able to do just what I wanted, which was to delete the old database and reconstruct a new database. Not sure how it works storing music. I don't keep my Neuros Synced up. I have a 20gb MP3 player because I don't want to hold all that music on my computer and I could just re-rip the majority of it if I had to.

Thank you for bringing this info up. Sorry I didn't reply here that I found NDBM earlier.
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 08:22:30 am »

No problem.

I'm kinda surprised at Sorune's performance.  Perhaps someone from that camp could explain what was happening?

And if you like NDBM that much, keep in mind it's a SourceForge project, and I'm sure there are bugs and feature requests.  Maybe you could even work on making it ready for native-binary builds of it for Windows and Posix as well as the JVM jar files?
rem

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 03:20:46 pm »

hi,

i'm using ndbm to build the neuros audio database straight from the files that i copied into the drive.  it's really fast.  but the playlist feature is just the opposite...extremely slow.  i have standard m3u playlist files created from a utility the i use called "id3browse".  it's also lightning fast.  using ndbm, i've found no way to import into the database these m3u playlist files.  or am i missing something?

hue

hue
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: