April 30, 2017, 01:46:43 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Archos 500 vs. 442  (Read 9615 times)
gman8888(at)hotmail.com

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2006, 09:46:39 am »

Hi,

Like the rest of you, I've been waiting patiently for the upgrade, which we may not see for years.

I'm not that much of a techie, but is there any advantage to the current 442 over the Archos 500 for example?

What can the 442 do that the Archos can't and visa versa?

The rechargeable battery is great in the 442, what about the Archos.

Can I transfer video files from my PC to the Archos?  75% of the video files I transfer to the 442 won't work.

Thanks for any help,
Gene

GMan
TVM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 01:18:56 pm »

Well, for starters you shouldn't just forward any file (audio/video) straight to the 442. First you need to check what kind of codecs are used for encoding the movie/mp3. If the codec used isn't compatible for playback on the 442, then of course it won't work. You need to convert the file first on your pc/laptop and the put it on the 442. Also keep in mind that when the resolution of the movie exceeds the playable resolution of the 442 then you could get chocks, clicks and distortion in your videos as the 442 can only take 'so' much. Too bigg resolutions ask for more processing power and of course the 442 can only take 'so' much as stated in the Readme files and manuals

Hope to have helped you in any way...

TVM (Belgium)
jscott1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:40:19 pm »

I was not able to get a single video file that I transferred to play on the 442.  That was when it was working.  It's currently broken as it won't boot up.  I am very unhappy with the 442 and wish I had bought the Archos 500. 

For one it has a USB host, so you can plug other USB devices into it, it has video bookmarks, etc there is no comparrison. 

I had thought there would be frequent firmware updates and fix the shortcomings of the 442, but there has been almost nothing.  And now that my 442 won't even boot, it was a complete waste of money. 

budwzr
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 03:10:58 pm »

I have an Archos 604 wifi, and it plays high bitrate 640X480 files skip free in millions of colors.

Bud
jscott1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 10:59:44 am »

I have an Archos 604 wifi, and it plays high bitrate 640X480 files skip free in millions of colors.

Bud

I wish I had bought that instead
ice.skillz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 03:54:29 pm »

Bud

Same here, I thinking about returning the unit to Neuros if I am still able to do so. But if I am unable to do that, I will most likely sell it on Ebay or something. I'm extremely disappointed with the 442v1.

This is directed to Bud, way to advertise.  Cheesy lol

I noticed the 604, but unfortunately I purchased the 442 before  the 604 launched. I looked at it, amazing product, from the looks. I was wondering if I can get some first hand feedback from someone who has the product and how well it works. I actually think it is cheaper than when I bought the 442 too. So, I am really kicking myself in the you know what right now. I paid more for a product, when I could've paid less AND get a better product out of the deal. Not to mention lots of accessories it has, compared to the one case they gave with the 442, which made the unit bulkier. So, I would like some insight in regards to the 604.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 04:23:12 pm by ice.skillz » Logged

like my sig
budwzr
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 01:21:21 pm »

Bud

Same here, I thinking about returning the unit to Neuros if I am still able to do so. But if I am unable to do that, I will most likely sell it on Ebay or something. I'm extremely disappointed with the 442v1.

This is directed to Bud, way to advertise.  Cheesy lol

I noticed the 604, but unfortunately I purchased the 442 before  the 604 launched. I looked at it, amazing product, from the looks. I was wondering if I can get some first hand feedback from someone who has the product and how well it works. I actually think it is cheaper than when I bought the 442 too. So, I am really kicking myself in the you know what right now. I paid more for a product, when I could've paid less AND get a better product out of the deal. Not to mention lots of accessories it has, compared to the one case they gave with the 442, which made the unit bulkier. So, I would like some insight in regards to the 604.  Grin

First let me qualify myself. I am a picky nerd that believes in the concept of paying a few bucks more for something robust. The 604 wifi is VERY robust! I took a big financial hit too.

When I first started on this portable video stuff I bought a Zen Vision M & R2+. And I was happy....until....the small screen on the Zen Vision started giving me eye strain...and the clunky menu system on the R2+ gave me frustration. Any little mistake and your recording will fail. Then I saw the 604 wifi at Sam's Club. It was love at first sight! EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED IN ONE VERY STYLISH UNIT!

I ended up giving away my Zen Vision to a family member, and use the R2+ now for recording DVDs to mp4 in realtime. The 604 has Macrovision support and will only playback recorded DVDs on the unit itself, not on the tv. So thankfully the money I spent on the R2+ was not completely wasted, but the Zen money WAS!

I just wasn't happy with the Zen anymore, and just had to swallow the financial hit. But to be honest, I would have paid TWICE the price of the Archos unit, that's how robust it is.

I don't want to go into glorious detail here out of respect for Neuros. They're a great bunch of guys and gals. You'll have to check the Archos site for specs. But if you're a picky nerd like me that loves robust little gadgets, you'll LOVE the 604 wifi. Get the wifi model, not the regular 604, because it has a touchscreen.

Bud
Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 11:10:28 am »

Main thing here is this, the Neuros 442 isn't being sold anymore. 

With great powers, come great responsibility!

Uncle Ben
DL5S

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 03:23:02 pm »

may i ask why ? and is there a replacement coming anytime soon ?
Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 03:43:21 pm »

may i ask why ? and is there a replacement coming anytime soon ?

No there is no new product coming out soon, its simply just discontinued, like the Neuros DAC.

With great powers, come great responsibility!

Uncle Ben
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: