September 25, 2017, 10:50:57 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: linux: brute force import?  (Read 6437 times)
orbert

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2006, 09:30:42 pm »

Hi all:

Just got my "80GB Neuros Digital Audio Computer" and I'm
looking forward to getting started. I'm having some trouble
running NDBM (see below) and I'm wondering if there's a way
I can 'brute force' the initial import while I work on that. I've
been able to mount the Neuros on my Kubuntu 6.10 box with
no problem, but from what I've read, tracks should be copied
to a 'music' directory, and I don't see one there. Also, can I just
rsync my /media/music directory tree, or do tracks all have to
be dumped into one directory?

(If there are any java geeks out there, here's a description
of my NDBM problem:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2006-December/012080.html
)

Thanks,
Robert
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 12:47:47 pm »

The first time you sync the "Music" folder is created.  It keeps a sort (artist\album\xx - Name.ogg, if I remember correctly.)

If you can get NDBM working, you can very much so use rsync to load/unload the Neuros.  Just make sure you run a rebuild with NDBM first to build the database.

(Also, I don't know if Sorune would work for you or not...  And there was a linux CLI tool at one point in time, but I don't think it works with the newer firmwares...)
orbert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 03:28:21 pm »

Thanks; I sftp'd my music over to my wife's Windows-based computer
and did the initial sync with NSM there. As you said, the 'music' folder was
created by that process. I'll do future adds manually. Won't worry about
synchronization for now; I'll just treat the Neuros as a standalone device.
Still trying to get NDBM running.

ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 02:26:38 pm »

What do you mean, "Manually"?

The Neuros doesn't use the file tree to create the list of songs, it has a seperate database that has to be updated (by ndbm/nsm/sorune/positron).  Unless you plan on hand-editing the database, you're going to have to either continue using NSM or NDBM on your wife's computer or get NDBM working under Linux.
orbert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 01:34:17 pm »

What do you mean, "Manually"?

Hm. I meant (a) cp files to the 'MUSIC' dir and (b) run 'find orphans.'
I was under the impression (probably from reading forum posts before
buying the device) that 'b' was an operation performed on the
device itself. Wrong, obviously.

... you're going to have to either continue using NSM or NDBM on your wife's computer or get NDBM working under Linux.

Still working on the latter.
Hashalot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 02:33:41 pm »

I'm not sure if it still works with the newest firmware, but positron is a sync manager that was built for linux/POSIX compliant systems.  It can be found at www.xiph.org/positron.  It's a simple command-line utility written in python, so it shouldn't be too hard to get running in linux.

With NDBM, I took a look at your post to the ubuntu usergroup, and I was just wondering which jre/jdk you are using (sun,blackdown,ibm, etc).  It looks like you're using gcj from gcc, and I'm not too sure how well gcj works.  You might want to try using one of the other jdk's and just use java -jar NeurosDBM.1.49.jar.  As to rpm -qa on Kubuntu, since ubuntu is derived from debian, apt-get and friends would be what you're looking for.  more specifically, apt-cache search <packagename> would be used to find a package to install, and adept package manager uses apt-get to manage software on the system.

HTH,

Sir Hashalot
orbert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 05:25:45 pm »

Hello Hashalot:

Thanks for the followup. Sorry for the late reply ...

Quote from: Hashalot
I'm not sure if it still works with the newest firmware, but positron is a sync manager that was built for linux/POSIX compliant systems.
Thanks for the pointer. I had already found positron, and I was able to use it to sync once I deleted the database created by NDBM.

With NDBM, I took a look at your post to the ubuntu usergroup, and I was just wondering which jre/jdk you are using (sun,blackdown,ibm, etc).
I'm using the one that ships with Kubuntu 6.10, which (as you say) is gcj.

... and I'm not too sure how well gcj works.  You might want to try using one of the other jdk's
I had considered trying to switch to one of the other Java implementations, but I figured that my chances of getting a "non-standard" (for Kubuntu) Java configured correctly were lower than finding out what was wrong with this one. Anyway, once I found a workable substitute for NDBM, it didn't seem worthwhile. I'm not using Java for anything else at the moment.

As to rpm -qa on Kubuntu, since ubuntu is derived from debian, apt-get and friends would be what you're looking for.
Yep, thanks. I've learned a lot more about Debian style pkg management since I made that post.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: