September 25, 2017, 10:35:56 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Custom R2's, headcams, batteries, waterproof encapsulation  (Read 9047 times)
Ex-Navy

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2007, 01:43:19 pm »

For a year or so, Barry and I have seen an interest in mobile  video recording using the R2.

We played with the R2, love it, we made it mobile. Battery, headcam, one "button" on and record feature.
We know you guys love it.

We would like to hear what, you, the racer, the biker, the skydiver, the hunter, etc would like to see in
a mobile head cam recording unit.

We can build custom units, complete with "one" button recording, battery supply, and weatherproof housing.

Let us know what "you" need.

Don't let the R2 disappear.....move it from the wall receptacle to the ski hill, huntcamp, raceday, whatever suits your
style.

Recording TV is sometimes boring, get up from the couch and record "outside the box"

Oh......let's void the warranty...........

Darren and Barry
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 04:34:50 pm by Ex-Navy » Logged

Ex-Navy
Madopal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 02:32:27 pm »

I've wanted to do the same thing.  It looks like there are only a few minor issues:

1) Video connector: the connector for the video seems to be a bit touchy, and that could affect recording.  I'm not sure an 1/8 inch jack was the best choice here.
2) Power on: one touch recording would be nice.  I have thought about bringing the LED out of the case so I can see when it's on/recording, but so far I can only figure out how to use the remote.  That's not real doable on a bike.  The recorder should be able to be fully enclosed to save it from the elements.  Has anyone solved this problem?

If those small problems can be solved, this is a GREAT solution, as it separates the camera from the recorder.
Ex-Navy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:06:12 pm »

The LED issue can be custom done. Take a piece of acrylic (plexiglass is the brand name) and extend it out to where
you need it. The acrylic acts as a magnifying glass.

Or, desolder the LEDs and extend them out to where you need.

The 1/8th inch AV in and out can be replaced with BNC connectors as below. Last pic below.

The one touch recording can be done quite easily with a spare remote and a 2 momentary push buttons, some
wire and soldering.

The remote PCB happens to be the same depthc as the R2 board. So it fits nicely inside and on top of the R2. The
battery for the remote is removed and the remote pcb is now wired to the R2 board.

Buy an extra remote. Take the button cover off with an exacto knife. Expose the remote PCB. You will see all
the carbon button pads. Unscrew the 4 phillp screws in each corner. Remove the PCB.

Now, in order to make your own "two switch" power ON and Record, take a look at the pics below.
The 2 switch wires are wired across the ON and RECORD pads only. When you press the red ON switch it is the same
as pressing the power on pad.
The same for the RECORD switch.

A 2 stage timer with momentary dry outputs can also be used. The first pulse turns on the power, the second pulse turns on the record. A 3rd momentary button labelled "kill" presses the ON again to shut off the R2.

There is also a "one button" tiny circuit that I have built to learn 4 codes from the R2 remote. It is pictured in the last
pic, upper right.

Ex-Navy
Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 03:42:38 pm »

Wow, this is awesome, i like it.

With great powers, come great responsibility!

Uncle Ben
Derek

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 01:14:39 pm »

Good work Ex-Navy

When I was a kid my mom used to tell me that curiosity killed the cat...What she forgot to tell me was that it also discovered the cat, invented the lightbulb, and forged the Neuros
Jan-E

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:38:37 pm »

Ex-Navy: if you are reading this, take a look at this thread.

Thanks, Jan
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: