September 20, 2017, 11:29:14 am
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DIY LED Kit - Neuros Recorder 2/2+: Powered=Green, Unit On=Blue, Recording=Red  (Read 12651 times)
mdp

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2007, 10:03:45 pm »

I finally finished a design that replaces the two LEDs in a Neuros Recorder-2+ (Green for plugged-in, Red for recording) with a single LED that turns Green when it's plugged in (powered), Blue when the unit is turned on, and Red when it's recording.  In addition to the onboard 3.3V, this design also uses +5V from the DC power supply allowing well over 20mA to the LED (design is actually capable of 100+ mA).  Combined with widely available LEDs that produce 6000 - 8000+ mcd (sometimes called ultrabright LEDs) lack of brightness outdoors should not be an issue.  Potentiometers are also included to allow a wide range of brightness for each color.  The DIY document can be found here:

Manual PCB v9G
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 10:52:10 am by mdp » Logged
Ex-Navy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 09:33:36 pm »

Nice work, very cool

Ex-Navy
budwzr
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 03:25:35 pm »

I finally finished a design that replaces the two LEDs in a Neuros Recorder-2 (Green for plugged-in, Red for recording) with a single LED that turns Green when it's plugged in (powered), Blue when the unit is turned on, and Red when it's recording.  In addition to the onboard 3.3V, the design also uses +5V from the DC power supply allowing well over 20mA to the LED (design is actually capable of 100+ mA).  Moreover, LEDs are widely available that produce 6000 - 8000+ mcd (sometimes called ultrabright LEDs) so lack of brightness outdoors should not be an issue.  Potentiometers are also included to allow a wide range of brightness for each color.  The DIY document can be found here:

http://www.mikependleton.com/hold/R2-DIY-9G.pdf

Very Slick Mike! Nice job.
mdp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 10:39:22 pm »

Thanks everyone for the kind words and to those who emailed me to buy one or ask for more information.  I updated the DIY manual to include additional installation and operational details.  It's the same link as before.  For those handy with a soldering iron and can deal with SMT parts, a complete BOM at cost is $10 plus ~$5 to box and ship it to lower 48 states.  Given some spare time, I'll assemble and test a unit for an extra $10.  

Manual (PCB v9G)

Unmodified                                                                             Modified                                                      
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 02:04:30 am by mdp » Logged
SL-ReDDoG

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 03:13:09 pm »

I'm not sure how I'm going to do it right now..  But I'm going to try and make this hack a remote.  I'm putting this unit on a sportbike and would like to but the leds on the "dash" while the unit will be affixed near the rear.  hmmm
mdp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 11:17:48 pm »

Moving the LED to a remote location is easy by running wires from the board to the LED instead of soldering the LED directly to the board.  I don't know how to "wire" the remote part.

BTW - I assembled 10 of these in my spare time this weekend and will sell/ship them at cost, $15 each, to the lower 48 states until they're gone.  Then it's back to unassembled units.
924RACR
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 08:44:07 am »

Cool - you have mail!
Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 02:46:50 pm »

Think i will make this a sticky!

With great powers, come great responsibility!

Uncle Ben
924RACR
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 10:08:46 am »

Forgot to add - got mine the other week, very cool, very nice kit! Now I have to catch up with my electrical guru for installation -  don't trust myself for this one! Wink

Thanks!
mastrand9

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 10:27:45 pm »

Great idea and execution.  Thanks!

PM'd you regarding kit purchase.
mdp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 10:43:41 pm »

Since receiving far more requests for assembled RGB Boards over unassembled RGB LED kits, I designed another version, had 100 units built, assembled, and tested by a company with very reasonable prices, PCBGeek a.k.a. Univelop Tech LLC.  This version is easier to install since there is no longer a voltage reference potentiometer (adjustment) and the three brightness potentiometers were reduced to just one potentiometer.  LED voltage source selection is still set using a standard jumper and LED current limit protection was added using a standard jumper.  No more worries about soldering SMT devices, the RGB Board comes fully assembled and tested.  Because of the simpler design and competitive PCBGeek prices, the price is the same as the previous unassembled kit version, $15 shipped to lower 48 states. Below is a link to the installation manual, a picture of an RGB Board (PCB v20C) standalone and installed in a Neuros Recorder-2 Plus, and pictures of a modified Neuros Recorder-2 Plus in each of the 3 states.

Manual (PCB v20C)

Plugged-In                                             Turned-On                                            Recording

Update:  24 May 2008
This modification has been tested to work on both the Neuros Recorder-2 (P/N: 4030200) and Recorder-2+ (P/N: 4030500).  The manual has been updated.

Update:  28 May 2008
You're welcome Tango_Au.  I assume you're down under?  Sold a few there already.

Update:  07 June 2008
For those who wish to have the RGB Board shipped with the LED unattached, the manual has been updated to show LED pinout and schematic.

Update:  09 August 2008
The manual has been updated to include RGB Board Stand-Alone Test Procedures.

Update:  14 September 2008
The manual has been updated to include arbitrary color assignments to Recorder-2 functions.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 01:29:03 am by mdp » Logged
tang0_au

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 11:38:39 pm »

just wanted to thank mdp for his work on this project.

ordered, easy process, very quick to reply and helpful.

kit is EASY to install and works perfectly !!

Thanks MDP
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: