April 30, 2017, 01:46:35 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Neuros 442 - I Need a Manual  (Read 6971 times)
Neuros4life

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2007, 06:17:36 pm »

Longtime NII owner, newby Recorder II user, & I just picked up a used 442. I like what I see, but the used unit didn't come with a manual (or CD - duh). So can anyone help me out here? Also, I can't help but comment that the web is chock full of links to the Neuros support site which have gone dead. Pity.  I understand progress, but for the Neuros guys in charge of their site, I have two (old fashioned) words for you: Site Map.   Please?
Looking forward to more of the great forum support here, guys!

Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 11:43:57 am »

Did you contact customer support already?  Shoot an email to support@neuros.us

With great powers, come great responsibility!

Uncle Ben
Neuros4life

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 06:51:14 pm »

As usual, Neuros Tech Support comes through.  Thank you for sending me the 442  manual in PDF.  If anyone has a copy of the CD with the original software, that would be a bonus - but I can live without. What I can't live with is the that my second-hand 442 locks up after playing 5 to 10 minutes of video playback. (Maybe that's why I was able to buy it second-hand??)   Anyway, after extensive reading on this forum it occured to me that it could be a HDD lockup.  I swapped the original HDD out with a good 80 gig unit, formatted it, moved my music and a couple of videos (from my Recorder 2+) back onto it, and gave it a test run. Lo - it still locks after 5 to 10 minutes of video play. Won't record for more than 10 minutes, either.  I can play hours of audio, but never more than 10 minutes of video. One other thing, this 442 has firmware version 2.0.0. Is that a valid firmware version - the highest I've seen on the forum is 1.2.4.  Now for my question: How can I demote my firmware to 1.2.4? I tried the usual method, but it didn't take and I'm still at 2.0.0. I'm just trying to rule out software problems for my lockup before I give up on this jewel.

Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 09:39:14 am »

Hmm, it may be the board thats causing it to lock up, there must be a short somewhere, and unfortunately we dont sell any boards for this unit.

As far as the firmware goes, 2.0.0 is the latest firmware for the 442, so downgrading wont do any good, but disable some of the features you currently have.  Have you tried pressing the reset button?

Uncle Ben
Neuros4life

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 08:34:29 pm »

>Hmm, it may be the board thats causing it to lock up, there must be a short somewhere, and unfortunately we dont
>sell any boards for this unit.
>As far as the firmware goes, 2.0.0 is the latest firmware for the 442, so downgrading wont do any good, but disable
>some of the features you currently have.  Have you tried pressing the reset button?

Yeah, pressing the reset button revives the unit, but only as far as starting the unit back at the opening menus.

On Oct 1, Neuros Support sent me this email:
>Not sure what the problem could be, i would recommend pressing the reset
>button, and reformatting the hard drive again, but reformat it through
>the 442.  It may be the board that is bad, causing the unit to lock up. 
>But its very odd that its only happening with the video, and not the
>audio.  Definitely perform the steps i recommend and let ius know what
>happens.

Okay, I formatted the disk under the File Management menu. I copied two known working videos back onto the disk: one is an MP4 I recorded using my Neuros Recorder 2, (which I can view without issues using the Recorder 2), and the other is an ASF I recorded directly with the 442. They both locked just about the same as before, somewhere between 7 and 10 minutes.
So I've probably got a tempermental board then?
Any more ideas? Maybe someone has a unit with a broken screen I could salvage?
Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 09:55:10 am »

I would recommend searching on Ebay, or contacting J & R to see if they have anymore refurbished units lying around.  Hope you find something.

Uncle Ben
Juju

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 05:14:06 am »

...As far as the firmware goes, 2.0.0 is the latest firmware for the 442, so downgrading wont do any good, but disable some of the features you currently have.  Have you tried pressing the reset button?

I had the same problem as Neuros4Life when I was using firmware 2.0.0.
So I downgraded back to firmware 1.2.4 and the problem was solved.
No problem playing movies any more.

Greetz.
Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 11:37:11 am »

Thanks for the feedback, and that is pretty interesting.  My 442 has not given me any problems.

Uncle Ben
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: