July 22, 2017, 05:39:34 pm
News:
Poll
Question: do you use the CF slot on your OSD?
nope
yes
not yet, but might someday
whatever lady

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Important News for OSD users!  (Read 54016 times)
forgeflow

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2008, 09:05:19 pm »

Yeah, just let me know what size CF card to buy - you don't need to send me one. Smiley is a 32Mb CF card big enough for this upcoming firmware release?
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2008, 04:45:23 am »

Yeah, just let me know what size CF card to buy - you don't need to send me one. Smiley is a 32Mb CF card big enough for this upcoming firmware release?

Hey forgeflow, long time no see! Smiley
You'll need a 128MB or larger flash card.
-G
mark500

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2008, 01:10:45 pm »

Will using a larger card, say 1gb or 2 or more be an advantage or will the OS/firmware be the only thing on the CF card? (will we have use of any extra memory?) 

Also, I am hoping that you guys will get the card ready and delivered well in advance of the release of the new firmware as I don't think I could stand the wait!  Whats the timetable?
kokorozashi

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2008, 01:36:30 pm »

I got an OSD from amazon last week. There was  an unmarked 128MB CF card in the box and a sheet explaining what it will be used for. Good job Neuros!
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2008, 07:01:55 pm »

Will using a larger card, say 1gb or 2 or more be an advantage or will the OS/firmware be the only thing on the CF card? (will we have use of any extra memory?)

I'm speculating here, but I hear murmers that any additional space on the CF card will be used for user application. We'll have a package management system running with a nice GUI to select apps to install. In that case, a bigger CF card would be handy.

Also, I am hoping that you guys will get the card ready and delivered well in advance of the release of the new firmware as I don't think I could stand the wait!  Whats the timetable?
There's been no official info as yet. It shouldn't be long tho
-G
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2008, 10:28:22 am »

There's been no official info as yet. It shouldn't be long tho

And indeed it wasn't. From this OdNT post, all existing OSD owners may request a free CF card to enable the new Qt-based firmwares. Link:
http://www.neurostechnology.com/cf-card-request
-G
luchalibre383

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2008, 11:38:54 am »

I filled out the form for the flash card and I received it in the mail. Good Job, Neuros, now bring out the cool applications.
fallenczar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2008, 10:19:33 am »

"Non-US customers will receive a coupon to purchase a CF card in their local region."
could some one explain what this means to me. I Purchased my OSD in the US but am ATM in Asia.
also, is there a Reason why the SD slot/card cannot be used to run AZ
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2008, 11:12:56 am »

There's no technical reason why CF card slot was chosen over SD, mainly it was based on usage statistics. Many people would rather use the SD card slot, so make your voice heard - post on Bugzilla and get votes going.
-G
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 04:51:07 pm by greyback » Logged
fallenczar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2008, 10:09:16 pm »

thanks greyback, i'm heading to bugzilla to cast my vote!!
i hope the code can be modified easily to look for a either a CF or a SD card.

Edit: http://bugzilla.neurostechnology.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3876
Get Your Self Heard People!!!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:33:20 pm by fallenczar » Logged
110rdr33f4
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »

Am I supposed to be getting one of these? How?
Katsai

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2008, 09:15:25 am »

Am I supposed to be getting one of these? How?

Look a few posts up.  Greyback put a link to the form that you will need to fill out.  I'm gonna have to wait til I get home to do it myself.  Don't have my serial number here at work.
bobmc

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2008, 10:27:57 pm »

Hey all,

the OSD GUI is being revamped.
Instead, a graphics server called Qt will be implemented on the OSD.

Hey, a new OSD just arrived with a CF card.  I do like it as a replacement for my crufty VCR. However, the GUI could be simplified.  Too many key presses are required to scroll through the rolodex-like menu. And what is upnpbrowser? When tinkering with this, I compared it to my cellphone which has similiar needs, but presents a simple and efficient interface.

QT is a marvelous developement platform. Is there a QT-lite available. For comparison, my PC was using Mepis with KDE. Now I use the XFCE version of Mint. KDE is prettier but XFCE is much faster.  QT seems like overkill for a small device which needs something like Ncurses functionality.

Have any other nano-x replacements been considered?  How about Svgalib or Mini-Gui, for example? http://www.minigui.org/whatis.shtml
jsdf

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2008, 07:28:43 am »

bobmc,
Your developer-focused question may be better answered if you join and post to the Developer Mailing List:
http://groups.google.com/group/neuros
Welcome to the community!
neo989

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2008, 07:46:15 pm »

Cool, I just got my CF card, but it didn't come with any directions, and I'm feeling a little dumb here.

Will the new OS type automatically be installed using the regular firmware updater, if the CF card is inserted? I can't really figure out how I can tell if the new OS is on my OSD, or if it has even been released yet.

I did do a firmware update after inserting the CF card, but I hadn't checked for a while anyway, so it may have been a maintenance release for the "old" OS.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to: