April 25, 2017, 03:26:50 am
News:
Poll
Question: do you use the CF slot on your OSD?
nope
yes
not yet, but might someday
whatever lady

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Important News for OSD users!  (Read 53012 times)
jsdf

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2008, 06:40:03 pm »

Yes, the new OS will automatically be installed when it is ready for you.
It has not been released officially yet.  If you are interested in testing it, it is available as a 'beta' release.
You can learn more about it here: http://open.neurostechnology.com/content/osd-firmware-release-333-205-0484a-beta
poleydee

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2008, 06:47:03 pm »

Go for it Neuros!

Anything that can allow greater UI interactions, or enhance the overall experience of the device is good for me. New breeds of consumers are flocking to devices that have delightful UI experiences, so this feels like the right thing to do, definitely.

Well done!
boscorama

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2008, 08:22:19 pm »

bobmc,
Your developer-focused question may be better answered if you join and post to the Developer Mailing List:
http://groups.google.com/group/neuros
Welcome to the community!

Do you guys realize that the 'Links' page for the Neuros GG has been setup to point all the links to a pr0n/trojan/phishing/pharming/... site?
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2008, 06:21:48 am »

Do you guys realize that the 'Links' page for the Neuros GG has been setup to point all the links to a pr0n/trojan/phishing/pharming/... site?

Holy crap you're right! Good catch. I've fixed it now. thanks v much!
-G
jwillis77373

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2008, 01:49:46 pm »

Interesting in that this was planned from the beginning.

The CF slot is for a format that seems to be going away, and this approach was the "tool less" easy upgrade method.

From an aesthetics  point of view, I think I would have preferred a "Trap door" or a memory upgrade path with a screwdriver approach.. but all of those imply complications I won't air here.

In summary it appears to have been a well thought out plan, and the execution was pretty good.

I gets me scratching my head though about how to generalize this problem to other products.. its a big industry problem.. how leverage older products with simple field upgrades, but without uneccessarily hanging on to legacy gear that just don't make sense to keep around.

In this case the situation is different.. the OSD could have a network boot loader.. and 32 MB should always be big enough for that.. but it brings up the idea of a "partnered" NAS that exports the operating sytem for the OSD.

I've mentioned elsewhere the DLINK-DNS323 (which is the only one I'm intimately familar with..) would serve that purpose nicely.

The OSD seems to be the first of a string of products I would hope.. it's the encoder "engine" with a steering wheel attached (the user interface).. the steering wheel has just got too big for the engine and needed to be offloaded somewhere.

If the engine is still adequate.. or good enough.. I'd hope we could connect a passenger car to this thing and put the user interface in that.. aka an 'OSD-NAS".. and then when upgrades to the engine come along we could plug it in like a module without too much disruption.

Ultimately even a low processor powered NAS can't really run a railway switching station.. so we'd need a true "media metadata server" for directing traffic among the devices.

How about using the NAS for what its good at, bulk storage. And using the engine for what its good at.. and coming up with a high powered "media metadata server" that is easily swapped out.. but essentially PXE boots from its NAS and has no local storage at all?

So a customer would start by buying an OSD, then buy a NAS, then buy a MMS. When the OSD got old, or the HD-OSD came out switch it out, when the NAS got to small, add to it or switch it out, when the MMS got too low powered add to that or switch it out? Media-Leggo blocks. Mego Blocks.

Seems to me also other than just Media metadata servicing, that might have the horsepower to offer up non-transcoded editing for pulling apart or gluing the video segments together.. Or maybe if its powerful enough, go ahead an offer batched transcoding of the files on the NAS.

.. random thoughts
Franko180

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2009, 02:44:22 pm »

Hi all,

I live in the UK and have just bought a Neuros OSD at a very good price, brand new. Not sure if they are end of line? Anyway I am doing initial set up and found this forum and this thread. My OSD came from the factory with firmware at version 3.33-1.60. After an upgrade the version was updated to  3.33-1.77-02.879.

This thread is a little old now, but what is the situation with further upgrades and the CF card? My UK Neuros didn't come supplied with a CF card and there was no notice/info with it about obtaining a CF card? Also I noticed this link is dead > http://www.neurostechnology.com/cf-card-request
But, I do have a spare CF card, so its not an issue.

I notice this link> http://wiki.neurostechnology.com/index.php/Transition_to_%22Arizona%22

Basically is it better that I insert a CF card and install this new Arizona firmware? Will I see benefits? The main purpose of my Neuros is to be able to archive off some video on to MP4 files on a windows network share.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Edit> I saw another thread and perhaps I need to stay on the old firmware for now... > http://forums.neurostechnology.com/index.php?topic=9621.0
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 02:54:50 pm by Franko180 » Logged
profumds

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2009, 08:39:31 am »

I also bought an OSD recently in the UK and came across the Arizona / CF card upgrade problem as well. In short, Neuros are no longer offering any free/cheap CF cards for the upgrade (certainly not in the UK at least) according to their support line. Ironically, despite only needing 128Mb or so, the cheapest card I could find was a 4Gb one and I can't even use it for recording!

In terms of whether to upgrade, I've only really used the new Arizona firmware. Other than the slow menu response, it seems fine to me.

Stephen
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2009, 08:46:25 am »

Someone on the boards had figured out a way to re-size the partition on the CF card down to 128-256MB so you can use the rest of the card for recording...  I just don't remember the details.
insc

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2009, 02:31:16 pm »

I purchased an OSD, but found all of the CF cards to be  ridiculously over priced!!  Why are the prices for CF cards so astronomical ?  Is there another way I can get the CF cars at a cheaper rate?
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2009, 03:04:02 pm »

I can find them for about $15-20, e.g.
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-TS1GCF80-Type-Compact-Flash/dp/B0009VPFT6/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_2
which I don't think is too bad. Annoying thing is that the OSD uses only 128MB of it, but doesn't (easily) let you use it for recording.
-G
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to: