June 23, 2017, 05:19:20 am
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Battery replacement Neuros II  (Read 11928 times)
minimatt

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2008, 11:34:19 am »

I have a Neuros II 40gb and the battery won't hold a charge. I remember a LONG time ago there was a write up on here on how to replace it, but I can't find it. Does anyone have that link? And what is the replacement battery?

Thanks.

It's nice to see so many of these are still up and running!
Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:24:54 am »

I believe this is the guide your looking for!

http://cool4u2view.com/Neuros_files/Page721.html

With great powers, come great responsibility!

Uncle Ben
minimatt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 09:05:09 pm »

Wow, thanks.

Now, that's got me thinking. If I have to crack the case anyways, why not upgrade the HD?

So would this drive swap out easily? I don't know anything about laptops, but I've built desktops from scratch.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149059
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:03:44 am »

Unfortunately, that drive will not work.  The Neuros pre-dates Laptop SATA by a year or two...  You'll need something more like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000150380+1035907889&name=ATA-6

Keep in mind that a drive of about 80GB and up needs to be formatted in a special manner....  (Insert the drive into the backpack, then Chkdsk from windows)
DarthFrog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 09:25:28 pm »

Keep in mind that a drive of about 80GB and up needs to be formatted in a special manner....  (Insert the drive into the backpack, then Chkdsk from windows)

Hmm, when I replaced my 80 GB drive with a Fujitsu 120 GB, I didn't have to do anything special.  But I notice in the link to NewEgg that you provided that 160 GB and 250 GB drives were listed.  Does anyone know if drives that large will work with an N2?  I would love to have a 250 GB media player.   I don't need a 250 GB media player but what does need have to do with it? :-)
minimatt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 09:50:45 am »

I'll post back when I get everything. My new battery and 160gb drive are on the way.

I know what you mean- I don't need 160gb either, but why not? I can't wait to see the expressions on the faces of iPod owners when I tell them about it.
Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 10:08:20 am »

Well i threw in a Seagate 160GB 5200rpm HD, and i formatted it through the Neuros and worked liked a charm.  It will draw more power though, so just be sure to charge the unit when its already low.  Charging it constantly will kill the battery.

Uncle Ben
minimatt

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 11:41:51 am »

Charging it constantly will kill the battery.

I thought lithium batteries didn't have this problem. The replacement battery I just ordered is lithium, maybe the original was nicad?
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 08:16:15 am »

I don't have that problem with my unit...  Unless when I sent it in for other repairs the battery got replaced, too.

I turn on the car charger when I get in the car in the AM, charge the whole trip to work, then the whole trip to campus, drain while listening on the way to/in/from class, and then charge on the drive home.  I haven't had any issues yet, which included using it in a different car with no charger from Madison, WI to Chicago and having over 1/2 the battery left.  (This is after using it on the flight from Cleveland to Minneapolis earlier that weekend, too.)
Dusty Bottoms
Neuros Technology Team

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 01:57:21 pm »

Well any rechargeable battery will lose its life span if you constantly charge it.

Uncle Ben
minimatt

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »

Success!

I replaced the battery, and upgraded to a 160 gb hard drive. The funny thing is, the Neuros was able to format it. Both the Neuros and Vista show it as having 134 gb of free space, after formatting and with the standard Neuros folder structure.

Thanks for your help!
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 10:00:50 am »

Glad to hear it's working well for you!

gorkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 01:27:54 pm »

The links posted in this thread are bad.  Do we have a link to the battery replacement?  Also, I need a AC Adapter as well for the 20 GB Neuros I just inherited and also a USB 2.0 cable.  I have USB Mini B's at the ying yang but is the Mini B USB 2 or 1?

Joel
joel@geardiary.com
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 08:40:24 am »

Any battery with matching chemistry, voltage, and size will work.  Check at your local Radio Shack type store.

Power adapters are Radio Shack "H" type plug, 9-12v DC.  I use their 2A Car Adapter myself.

And as for the USB 2 cable, it's a custom plug...
http://store.neurostechnology.com/cable-neuros-only-p-40.html?osCsid=lppvit8l23337tm7viseb0cuo1
dialet12

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 11:46:59 pm »

Hello all..just a newbie here.. thankz for the post. . . =)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: