April 25, 2017, 05:15:22 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need better resolution  (Read 5173 times)
MitchT

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2008, 12:10:19 pm »

Ah, a chance to talk to the president.  Thanks tor this opportunity.

OK, got a Neuros OSD a month ago and I like the concept, but there is one problem that is keeping me from using it.  That problem is resolution.  640 x 480 is not cutting it for a 42" TV. 

I use the OSD to get TV shows off my DVR and then move them to my workstation for DVD burning.  The quality of resolution needs to come up for viewing on a normal screen. 

Is there anything in the works to improve resolution?
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 08:55:52 am »

Unfortunately, Composite really only can carry 720x480 @ 29.9(ish) fps reliably, so increasing the resolution isn't going to help.  Most Televisions won't even try to decode an HD signal from a Composite cable.  Since Composite is the only output of the OSD, that's pretty well what you're limited to.

What visual issues are you having?  Standard 480i is either 640x480 or 720x480, depending on aspect ratio, so you shouldn't be seeing any difference between OSD playback and Standard-Def TV.  Perhaps you're recording at a lower-than-optimal bitrate or resolution?  (Both of these can be changed in the settings menu.)  Have you tried playing the files back directly with the OSD to make sure your burning software isn't reducing the resolution?

Also, there is an OSD 2 / OSD-HD in the works, but rumour has it that early testing hardware is at least 6 months out.
MitchT

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 12:58:10 pm »

Sorry for the long time between messages.  I'll try working with the resolution & bitrate.   

Looking forward to seeing an OSD2, please keep me in mind for beta, would love to help make this thing better.
JoeBorn
Neuros Audio Team
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 12:06:17 am »

anyone interested in getting notified about beta on the OSD2 should sign up at http://phpl.neurostechnology.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=5 or http://phpl.neurostechnology.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=2 (the latter will include the beta notification but also somewhat more general company news about 6 times/year)

jborn (at) neurostechnology.com
#neuros on freenode.net
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: