July 28, 2014, 03:27:50 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: WGA54G Connection problem  (Read 6188 times)
josab

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2008, 09:06:14 pm »

I picked up a WGA54G game bridge  to set up a wireless internet connection for the OSD.  I have tried just about everything I can think of to get a connection, but the OSD will not recognize the bridge or establish a DHCP connection with the WGA54G attached.  I have no problems with a wired connection coming from my router to the OSD, but no luck in getting a wireless connection.  The WGA54G appears to be working fine, as it sets up great and can see my wireless network through it.  Can someone please provide a step by step instruction for getting the OSD to work with the WGA54G?  Thanks in advance.
ifihadarubbertree

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:38:26 pm »

Interesting.  The OSD will never really recognize the bridge but you should be getting an address via DHCP if your bridge is connected to your wireless access point and the bridge is configured correctly.  It sounds like you have the right hardware in place, I would guess it is a configuration issue.  I am assuming you configured the device via CAT 5E cable, so you probably have a good cable.  What is the brand of bridge that you are using?  I have had good luck with Linksys bridges in the past.  I once ran 4 PCs with online gaming from a bridge and an SMC switch for over a year in one of my appartments just fine.

-Tree
josab

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 04:42:29 am »

It's a Linksys bridge.  I have tried many different cables (including cross-over), and the results are always the same.  So when I access the OSD menu and I have the Wireless Bridge or TCP/IP selection for the network connection, the Wireless option won't recognize the bridge?  I should only select the DHCP option?  I have no experience using a wireless bridge, and it sure doesn't seem like rocket science, but something is kicking my butt right now on this.
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 08:32:47 am »

If you set up the bridge using a computer, and just move it to the OSD, standard DHCP should be sufficient.  I know I changed routers on my OSD the other day, and last night when I went to use it I had to re-setup the network to get it to grab a new IP address.
jsdf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 05:36:33 pm »

josab,
Connecting the wireless bridge to the OSD and configuring using the OSD user interface is not functional yet.
The easiest way to configure it is to use the included instructions in the WGA54G and configure it on your PC first, then simply plug it into your OSD after it is configured.
josab

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 06:11:09 pm »

So when I first set up the bridge, I use a wired connection from router to the bridge.  It sets up fine as DHCP.  Then go into the advanced configuration of the bridge through it's IP address and set it up for my wireless network configuration.  I disconnect the wired connection, reset the bridge and the network connect light is lit indicating that it has synced up with my wireless network.  I don't ever see the bridge as a device on my network as a stand alone device, but I'm told this is normal.  Next I connect the OSD and try every network setting I can think of, and I can not get the OSD to find a network.  Should the bridge stay as a DHCP connection?  Should the OSD be a static IP or DHCP?  Should the IP address of the OSD be the same IP as the bridge?
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 11:39:47 pm »

I would think the bridge should be grabbing an IP address for itself on the local network.

Try configuring it from a PC and see if you can get it to work that way?

Double-check the instructions for your bridge, but the ones I've used you would set the OSD to DHCP, and the IP of the OSD should not match that of the bridge.

Like I said before, even if your OSD is setup for DHCP, try setting up the network a second time, that will force it to drop any cached DHCP information and grab new.
ifihadarubbertree

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 09:29:07 am »

My linksys bridge from the factory came with a static IP address for configuration purposes.  So look at the manual to see what that is (sometimes in a quick start, or CD, or can download it from their web page).  It may be configured by default to be DHCP possibly as well.

Plug the bridge directly to your PC via cross over cable, or to your router  if you choose and configure it using that IP address.   If your bridge came with factory defualt settings to a static IP address will have to probably reconfigure your PC IP to match the network IP address of the bridge. 

Once you can actually connect with it from the PC, configure it to point to your wireless router / access point and set up all the security / authentication rules that you have (typically WEP or WPA for most people).  My linksys bridge indicates if it successfully connects so once you get that far you should be almost done.

Now unplug the device and then move to your OSD and it should work.

One note about wireless bridges: If you are in an appartment complex etc, you will want to set up a wireless channel that is not being used by your surrounding neighbors if possible.  This will help prevent small disconnects here and there.  Of all the channels there are really on ly 3 (1,5,11) if i recall right where the frequencies don' over lap.

When i moved into my new appartment, I noticed that there were so many Wireless access points running on so many different channels, that my bridge kept getting confused, so i took it offline and replaced it with an Ethernet network extender which you plug into your electrical outlets.  It worked out actually quite nicely since the one i purchased had a 4 port hub on it so i plug in my OSD, Sling box, and NAS hard drives.

Anyway give it a shot and let us know if you need anymoer help,

Teren Clement
josab

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 01:58:38 pm »

Thanks for the assistance, but everything mentioned here I have tried at least three times before.  I finally was able to establish a connection between the OSD and the internet through the wireless bridge (after many, many hours of messing with them).  I post this now so any one else having the same problem doesn't have to go through what I did.  I used an ASCII text key for my WEP security.  The WGA54G configuration page allows you to put in the ASCII text key but generates the HEX equivalent.  Once configuration is complete, the bridge reports that everything is good to go and the Wireless network connection light on the bridge illuminates and you assume that it's connected.  I would connect to the OSD and nothing.  I changed the WEP ASCII key to HEX in my WiFi network through the router, re-connected everything and it worked.  Do not use an ASCII text key for WEP security with the WGA54G.  It looks like it sets up OK, but it doesn't.  Use HEX keys when working with the Linksys WGA54G and WEP security.
jsdf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 01:49:23 pm »

josab, thank you for posting your findings here.  Clearly wireless networking is a challenge for all consumer electronics devices, even those that are built for it (e.g. your Linksys bridge)!
ifihadarubbertree

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 07:06:47 pm »

Mother of god that sucks.  Actually, i found that out on a Tivo wireless bridge at my buddies house.  It even says you can input ascii and accepts it but no worky.  To make matters even worse it only supported 64 bit hex encryption keys.  Well glad you got it working though.

-Tree
tedx

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 12:27:25 pm »

I've reconfigured the wga54g to use DHCP and connected the cat5 cable to my OSD. I can see in my router the ip address of the wga54g but if I ping or telnet I get nothing (unable to connect to remote host). Is there anything I need to configure on the OSD itself to this to work?

Ted
ChadV
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 12:28:42 am »

Shouldn't have to...  If your network is DHCP, just set the OSD to DHCP and see if it gets an address.

If it does and you can connect properly, your WGA54g may just be setup to ignore connections over wireless for security purposes.
tedx

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 09:01:50 am »

Using the remote control to configure networking then the OSD got a DHCP ip and everything is good.

Ted
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: