July 22, 2017, 05:39:57 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: battery for neuros , which psp supply is a good unit? how much ah?  (Read 6515 times)
nycbicycle

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2008, 08:41:08 am »

hello ,  trying use my neuros with my bullet camera.  Which  psp  power device would be a good match for this use? i know i would have to change the dc connector, so i guess a psp power pack with a tail would be the best device.  i never used a psp  so am not familiar with them, but i read here  in another thread that it will work as a good power pack. I d also want to try and use it in the car and as  dash cam,  and from reading here, drawing off the battery pack is preferred ,so i will be looking for  a  psp battery  replacements unit that can be easily charged from 12 vdc.
my  bullet camera uses a 8 AA power pack, i could use the device mentioned in another thread to step down  the voltage, would this make sense ? is the loss to  the neuros 3vdc worth it ?  i goggle psp packs  and they seem pretty cheap. how much current does a neuros draw when recording and in standby?  i would want a battery pack that is good for 5 to 8 hours, the bullet cam i could carry spare AA for , i think the bullet camera draw a lot more than most digital devices.
another technical question, maybe i can be referred to  another electronic  dicussion forum if not able to be answered here. i have a couple other   camera and dvr device (oergon scientific, archos )that i would like to convert to  dash cam use, is there a circuit i could build that will automatically turn on and apply power power off and in sysnc with the car ignition? . i know how to tap into the  car wires, but  i  think i need a circuit that will turn on/off the neuros/camera in sync with the ignition switch.
i guess i need something that when it sees the power being applied to the access circuit in the car, it after a short delay acts a switch to turn on the attached device and when the accessory switch is turned off after a power down cycle turns the unit off
not sure if that makes sense , but i am trying to modify neros and other camera as auto on/off dash cameras.
i think in my car there is a circuit that turns on the dome light at start up and turn off , so i may be able to tap into that as the switch.
i know i have to be careful of losing data on the neuros  and  sd cards if if i lose power when recording.
i saw on another thread where a motorcycle guy had made a neuros battery pack, bit it looked way to big for my use, i will use the neuros on a bicycles or back pack when off the bicycle out of the car.
Ex-Navy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 05:31:40 pm »

Yes you can use a PSP power supply and change the dc connector.

The connector is a spring loaded one that keeps a good connection. It's easier to buy an adaptor from the Neuros accessory link then
buying your own connector. Simply cut off the wire from the Neuros adaptor.

Here is a link for a PSP supply:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Emergency-Charger-9800-mAh-for-Sony-PSP-Nintendo-NDS_W0QQitemZ280228684533QQihZ018QQcategoryZ139969QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The unit is also charged from 5 volts dc. If you can, just get a voltage regulator like a 7805 and wire it to provide 5 Vdc to the PSP battery pack. Run the Neuros off of the battery pack, not the car. Alternator whine causes your audio to be affected.

With regards to running your other devices off of the car, simply connect them via your fuse panel. Regualate the voltages using a good
switching regulator and a good size capacitor for removing any alternator whine.

And yes, if your PSP battery drops below 3.3vdc you will lose your video recordings

Have fun!

Ex-Navy
nycbicycle

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 11:36:53 pm »

Quote from: Ex-Navy
 It's easier to buy an adaptor from the Neuros accessory link then
buying your own connector. Simply cut off the wire from the Neuros adaptor.

[/quote
ok i got the psp battery pack i looked at the accesssory and didnt see any adaptors, closet thing came was a car charger for a 442 for avout 14.95
did i miss something ?

nycbicycle

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 10:10:18 pm »

i see that  new psp battery pack output connector is the same as the needed input connecor. i guess it would make sense to cut that off and splice it to the neuros dc supply and use that to charge the  new battery.  i could probably crimp on quick connect type connectors so i could go back to  using the neuros jack as the power supply. i dont know if i have a 5vdc charger with that same connector i could use , i do not have a psp, and i dont think you can backwards charge the battery via the usb or firewire cords.
i started this  project about 2 years ago  eventually i will get it done.
i just got a couple new  mini cameras that i will also try with the neuros.
i just want a solid state small device that can record for  about 5 to 6 hours without changing batteries .  . those flip cameras would be great if they used an  external card that would at least be 8 gbig
Ex-Navy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 08:54:58 am »

The PSP battery pack I have did not have the same adaptor required by the R2.

If yours does, and it provides 5Vdc to the center and gnd to the outside of the connector then it will work.

The R2 uses very little amperage (a/hr) and certainly any 5vdc adaptor, battery with the proper connector and proper connection (+ is center) will
work.

In a car, the 12vdc should be reduced using a switching regulator not a regulator like the 7805. The 7805 will dissipitate the 7 volt dc and amperage
and get hot.

The best way in my opionion is to buy a 5 vdc battery pack that can be charged by the car 12vdc. This way when the car is shut off, the power to the
R2 is not. It will keep working until the 5 vdc battery goes below 3.3vdc. The car continues to charge it though.

Ex-Navy
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: