September 23, 2017, 04:51:30 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bechmarks: SSH vs FTP vs CIFS vs NFS vs Samba  (Read 48424 times)
wkrik

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2008, 06:50:55 pm »

The setup:
   Neuros OSD firmware: 3.33-2.09-99.871 / Running bftpd, dropbear, with CIFS and NFS network shared attached.
   Linux system: Ubuntu / Intel 2.8Ghz, 2GB Memory / Configured with NFS to export a folder.
   Windows: XP Pro / Intel 2.8Ghz, 2GB Memory / Configured with shared folder.
   Network: Computers on 100baseT, OSD connected to 802.11G wifi

FTP from the linux server utilized curlFTP (w/FUSE) to mount ftp to the OSD running bftpd.
   SSH from the linux server utilized SSHFS (w/FUSE) to mount sftp to the OSD running dropbear.

READ (From OSD)                                   WRITE (To OSD)
                  Load Avg    Minutes      Xfr Rate           Load Avg    Minutes       Xfr Rate        Transfer To/From
                 ---------------  ---------------  ---------------       ---------------  ---------------  ---------------      --------------------------
ssh              4.15               6:38         250 KB/s           3.70            7:40            210 KB/s       Linux <> OSD
ftp               3.97              3:38         360 KB/s           4.14            3:55             420 KB/s      Linux <> OSD
nfs               5.90              2:51          580 KB/s            5.00           3:17             500 KB/s      OSD <> Linux
samba        4.40              3:34         460 KB/s            5.01           4:22             380 KB/s      OSD <> Linux
cifs              4.60              3:37         460 KB/s            5.05           4:39             360 KB/s      OSD <> Windows

So what are we looking at:
   A 100Meg file was written to/from the OSD in all cases. Using top, the average load average was monitored, and the time (in minutes) was determined using the time command. The transfer rate was determined by the files size divided by the total time (in seconds).

Which is the fastest:
  • SSH is fine as an alternative for telnet, but transferring files through it is slow.
  • For transferring files to the OSD from a computer, ftp appears to be the quickest.
  • The fastest transfer rates from the OSD to/from a computer is using NFS to a Linux system, but it does take a lot more of OSD resource.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:45:05 pm by wkrik » Logged
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 03:45:12 pm »

Hey,
your results make sense in all but one thing: I'm surprised that NFS takes up so much CPU. I'm also not sure exactly what the Load Avg numbers correspond to, what exactly is 5.90? It's not percentage of total CPU, I know that.
-G
wkrik

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 12:25:37 am »

I too was a bit surprised to see NFS taking up more. I even ran the test a few times, but it doesn't seem to affect video or audio play when it was as high as 5.90.

I typically make note of the load average of any system with just the base default (or tuned) OS installed on a system. On the OSD with the base Arizona and nothing else running the absolute lowest load average I've seen is 1.00. Once I mount all my network shares, start dropbear, and bftd, I see a load average of about 1.20.

I've noticed that when the remote control has problems browsing the menu's, the load average is over 6.25 from time to time.

There is a pretty good article that tries to explain the meaning of Load Average at: http://www.teamquest.com/resources/gunther/display/5/
I've always seen the load average as a simplistic interpretation of a measurement of CPU utilization. Every flavor of unix/linux paired with different hardware configuration represents different load range. What I mean is that a Dual Core CPU can handle a load average of 10 without any issues, where a 2.0Mhz CPU with the same load average may start slowing down and grind to a halt.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 12:58:10 pm by wkrik » Logged
osdrules

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:54:39 pm »

Hey, this might be a rookie question, but how can I get FTP or SSH running on the OSD?   

I can compile with gcc, and I know apt-get from the Deb/untu world, but cannot figure out how to get FTP or SSH on here for transfers.  I see this uses busybox, but do not see symlinks to SSH or FTP.  Also, can the same methods to get those working get SCP on here?

Thanks!
wkrik

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 12:48:59 pm »

ssh/scp - http://forums.neurostechnology.com/index.php?topic=9251.0
ftp - http://open.neurostechnology.com/node/732
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: