March 26, 2017, 05:51:20 pm
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Joe's Neuros Link Comment on Crunchgear  (Read 3905 times)
nuttymango

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2008, 07:33:44 pm »

I saw the the Crunchgear post at http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/12/01/early-look-at-the-neuros-link-internet-video-box/ and ran right over here to register an account and start learning about the Link.

I was planning to build a MythTV based PVR even though I don't have cable or satellite and here is a box configured pretty much the way I envisioned. I'm Linux-savvy and think it would be fun and educational to test this thing out. I even think I might be able to contribute a little in the discussion forums. But how disappointed am I going to be when the 1.0 version comes out and I'm stuck with the gamma version?

Just thinking out loud/looking for feedback here. I'll probably spring for it in January, budget permitting.
JoeBorn
Neuros Audio Team
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 08:18:46 pm »

Well, first of all, Gamma really refers to production hardware and early software, so the product you buy today will basically evolve into production with free software updates.  This is the same thing that happened with the OSD.  There were dozens and dozens of firmware upgrades using the same hardware.  We work about as hard as any company in this business to protect our customers from obsolescence.  What you may see in future version are largely cost reductions.  The current case has a lot of components that we don't really need long term.  A bigger power supply, room for an optical drive, etc.  So there will likely be a different case at some point (original users will be able to upgrade at a pretty nominal cost).

Eventually we'll update the hardware of course, but only as technology moves forward, and even then, we'll continue to support the hardware that's in the field.

jborn (at) neurostechnology.com
#neuros on freenode.net
nuttymango

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 10:43:26 pm »

Thanks for the info. I've posted additional questions in a more appropriate forum. I was in a hurry to start learning so I just posted question in the first place that caught my eye. Sorry about that.

As long as I have your ear, you might want to know about a forum registration problem. The three-part captcha test thwarted my attempts to register numerous times. I switched between Firefox 3.1 and Opera on two different Linux systems and reloaded the page many times before getting a page to submit without an error message. The 3rd verification test is a math question that either would not display or displayed only a partially. I emailed the webmaster at the address shown on the contact page but it bounced back "account does not exist."

Thanks again for the reply.
JoeBorn
Neuros Audio Team
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 01:37:31 am »

Hopefully we've gotten this registration fixed now.  If anyone else has trouble, please let me know (email is jborn AT neurostechnology.com if you can't post here)

jborn (at) neurostechnology.com
#neuros on freenode.net
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: