October 21, 2014, 11:40:43 am
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Transcoding  (Read 5706 times)
tkos

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2008, 08:18:25 am »

So I have been playing around with transcoding my OSD MP4 files into something a bit smaller and more portable, hopefully something like the XVID codec. I am by no means an expert on transcoding but I can't seem to use any of the tools out there to produce a smooth, nicely compressed movie file. They are always choppy or the sound falls off.

I guess mostly what I am looking for are the settings other people might use if they are also transcoding their OSD MP4 files. Many thanks in advance.
JoeBorn
Neuros Audio Team
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 07:56:10 pm »

There's a customized version of WinFF, you can find on open.neurostechnology.com Courtesy of BiggMatt.com  it's basically a version of winFF that's targeted to produce files that play well on the OSD.  It's also worth noting that if you are transcoding VOB files from DVDS, handbrake works well, if you just change to the h.264 setting to MPEG-4 (everything else can be left at the defaults).  Keep asking if you have trouble, I found learning this stuff to be very miserable and I'd like to spare you the trouble if possible.

Joe

jborn (at) neurostechnology.com
#neuros on freenode.net
tkos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 05:49:09 am »

This WinFF converter is a great little tool. I tried WinFF in the past but the main version and there were too many options. I like the output so far and will continue to experiment with it. Also, hopefully it will help me more easily work with the file in other ways.
tkos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 01:31:36 pm »

This tool is really good and so simple to use. I think it really needs to be more  prominently available to OSD members. I have been searching for quite awhile and never came across this. Perhaps this should at least be in a sticky or something?
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 06:41:12 pm »

Good idea. Stickied.
-G
richiegt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 09:14:19 am »

I like to use xvid as a standard. The files are fairly small and the quality is acceptable. My media server reads them and can stream them wirelessly.

Here is the converter I use, http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/index.php. Easy, easy, easy.

What I could use is an easy way to join 2 of the OSD files. Some the football games I save go over the 4 hour/gig limit. I would like to join them and burn to dvd.
Frenchie Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 03:39:42 am »

Hi,

FYI, the neuros profiles are not only in the custom version of WinFF but also in the regular one. Thus you can benefit from the regular updates.

Regards,
Greg

JamesBaud

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 12:07:36 pm »

Check out MediaCoder (http://www.mediacoderhq.com/index.htm). Allows you to transcode to all kinds of different formats, and it's open source.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: