October 22, 2017, 03:11:21 am
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: link tv app idea  (Read 8237 times)
viamptor

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2009, 05:35:08 pm »

Why not make a fire fox add-on to "send to que" any videos/movies you might want to watch later.  The link could be sent to your que on the neuros tv/link site for watching on a device later. Being harware guys i think you are concentrating too much on harware and not about software. You need to  make a cloud that a device (not just yours to get larger userbase) can connect to. How about an aggregator that does more than one site at once  (i thought yours did but its only HULU Huh)like how some of the search sites use multiple engines.
Also when the aggregator finds the video im looking for it REDIRECTS to hulus site for watching thats not acceptable beahvior when the aggregator finds the VIDEOS you are looking for it shold show the results and the selected video should play in full screen mode embedded no redirects.

flatcurve
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 02:26:15 pm »

Well, I'm not a Neuros employee, so I'm not speaking officially or anything. But, the neuros.tv service does aggregate more than just Hulu. It's just that a majority of the free (and legal) content out there is either on hulu, or being hosted by hulu for another site. And I would imagine that part of the problem of just displaying the video, as opposed to redirecting to hulu, is that when you're bypassing their site, you're also bypassing all of their banners and other features that they want users to experience as part of their visit to the site. That's basically bandwidth theft.
JoeBorn
Neuros Audio Team
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 03:24:32 pm »

we're working on both these issues.  If you look at dev.neuros.tv you'll see that there's more content.  Doing more direct links and full screen is on the way after that, but won't happen immediately.

jborn (at) neurostechnology.com
#neuros on freenode.net
viamptor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 10:25:11 pm »

flatcurve  i understand what you are trying to say but i think its incorrect. Hulu gets most of its money from adverts played directly in the videos themselves.  You pay them to watch the video by looking at their advertising. If we circumvented the adverts somehow i might agree with you but i am not condoning that. What i am trying to say really is they WANT people to view their videos by any means necessary because it only brings them more revenue.
jsdf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 12:38:09 pm »

I agree with viamptor.  If Hulu doesn't want to offer direct streaming, they wouldn't offer embeds.
For Neuros.TV, the challenge is to present it in a compelling way.  We experimented early on with embeds from Hulu, but they were (at the time) limited to 320x240 and would not allow full-screen.  I believe both of these requirements have changed, but in reality our next path is to skip embedding altogether and figure out how to directly go full-screen from any provider.  Not an easy task, but one I personally (and most of us at Neuros generally) are very interested in.
infrared

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 04:42:56 pm »

jsdf,
That is a very interesting approach indeed. Kind of like pandora radio (sort of but with a custom queue) but for video. I do not see this happening because of content restrictions and the variety of methods to display content (es. video). For the most part it could be done but only if wide industry support for a common internet tv standard is started. If a project is started that can shoehorn all internet video no matter what onto a tv with those features the industry leaders will take notice and start on a standard probably.

Neuros = Industry Leader.

minor edit...
I beleive pandora pays royalties for their content and that is something that differs from Neuros. But I like the "thumbs up, thumbs down" approach for suggesting new content.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 04:48:55 pm by infrared » Logged
infrared

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 02:25:44 pm »

Active-TV's approach uses an E-mail like messaging system to que videos. Can someone at neuros give all the LINK owners out there an email address they can use with their app.neuros.tv login account. When I am at work or anywhere it would be nifty to send the LINK a youtube video via Youtube's send this video feature (most sites integrate URI forwarding via email). Then when I get home, logging in to neuros.tv would show my messages with the URI of the videos!!!
jsdf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 03:38:49 pm »

infrared, you actually just suggested one way that JoeBorn uses his LINK.  He created a separate GMail account to which he forwards URIs, then clicks through one at a time to show them.  Not ideal by any stretch, but a reasonable short-term solution to this functionality.
This has inspired some Inbox-like video sharing ideas (one of which is what you mention, almost exactly).

So many ideas, so little time!  Keep em coming!
infrared

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 12:26:24 am »

jsdf,
I was curious if your team found a Sr. Web Consultant?
jsdf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 08:37:45 am »

infrared,
We have, actually someone from our community.  MattJ (who is not on the forums, but active on IRC) has joined us.  He was the creator of the Neuros OSD Crowd Narration system that we used for the presidential debates last fall, if you have an OSD and remember these events.
infrared

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 10:27:46 am »

I dont have an osd but do remember the event and technology. Is the crowd narration gonna be on the LINK also?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: