October 22, 2017, 03:05:25 am
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: UBIQUITY Addon for Firefox  (Read 4264 times)
flinkisme

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:06:36 am »

Are there any javascript coders around?

The Ubiquity addon for Firefox allows the creation of user commands to perform specific actions.

Grab the add-on here:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Ubiquity

and try this Ubiquity command that searches HULU:

http://gist.github.com/51468

Since firefox is a versatile starting point for LINK, Ubiquity can add any sort of functionality you can think of. It's easier to work in Ubiquity than it is to write a firefox addon.
jsdf

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 12:15:04 pm »

I like where Ubiquity is going, and I think it will provide an excellent platform for interesting TV extensions.
However, without a well-defined set of protocols and services, it seems extremely ad-hoc to me.
E.g. I personally want to build a macro or some other functionality for LINK+Neuros.TV that determines what page you are on, and if it understands the Flash player on that page automatically activates its fullscreen.  Seems straightforward to do with Ubiquity theoretically, but in actuality I don't see how Ubiquity can offer more than an extension today.

Not to mention it's early/beta and not ready for mainstream yet...

Thoughts?
infrared

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 05:59:00 pm »

jsdf,
I agree. The LINK really should be the power behind neuros.tv otherwise Neuros is just selling hardware that offers no real advantage to the users that invested in the device.
flinkisme

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 06:56:30 am »

I agree. Ubiquity has more potential than many realize. As for it's stability, it releasable right now. The team is still working on it of course, but I understand that the majority work being done now is primarily focused on merging the functionality into the FF core.

JSDF, for the automated functions you mention, consider the Greasemonkey Addon. It allows one to write Javascript that is URL/Page-specific. I use it on a number of sites to add hot keys or to automatically do things such as highlight a particular forum user, or to even bloc that user's posts entirely. Checkout userscripts.org for an idea of what is available for GreaseMonkey.

Ubiquity and GreaseMonkey give access to the internal goings on of the rendered page.
jsdf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 11:22:59 am »

Yes, Greasemonkey offers a lot of possibility for both NeurosTV and sites it directs users to.
We're in the process of researching it a bit more to see where it can solve some of our problems.
Suggestions welcome!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: