April 25, 2017, 03:36:35 am
News:
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: MP4 recodings work PSP fw 5.03 (with caution)  (Read 4758 times)
dbadave

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2009, 01:02:04 pm »

It's been quite some time since I bought my MP4R2 (back in 2006?) and I've only surf to these forum's every few months.  It looks like the MP4R2 area has cooled down considerably but there is the occasional posting so I thought I'd do my part to impart knowledge.
First, I should report that my MP4R2 just rocks steady, never had any problems or issues.  I don't use it daily by any means and I don't do funky things with it (like helmet-cams).  The primary reason I bought it was to encrypt video recordings for PSP playback.
I recently purchased a PS3 and was working on getting my PSP (Model 1001 - old school!) updated to support Remote-Play.  The last firmware I did on my PSP was 3.8 (the one that rolled out Internet Radio - which was nerdy cool for sure) so I pulled down 5.03 (release Jan 2009) and upgraded.  I also noticed that after cleaning up my 2GB Duo card that about 400MB was unaccountable, meaning there was nothing for me to manually delete and yet I couldn't "see" what was taking up the space.  I figured that I should use the Format Memory Stick with the fw-updated PSP and recoup the space.
That did the trick, I had 1.9GB free space but I noticed that the 101MNV01 folder that should be (and had been) under the MP_ROOT folder had not been recreated, just the other two.  Well, when you set the MP4R2 to record for the PSP format, it wants to write the files in 101MNV01 so I used a PC+cardreader to create the folder and did a test recording of the season premier of South Park.  It recorded perfectly, writing to MP_ROOT/101MNV01/M4V00001.MP4 without issue.  I popped the card in the PSP and it played back perfectly.  I smiled with a sigh of relief.
So, the "with caution" warning is that if you reformat your PSP memory sticks, be prepared to recreate the need folder 101MNV01.
Oh, BTW, PS3 + PSP Remote Play is uber-nerdy fun!

UPDATED - With the addition of PS3 to my entertainment equipment, I now have 2 reasons to record using my MP4R2.  I use the 640x480 super-fine to make recordings to playback on my PS3+HDTV.  But wait, there's more!  With Remote-Play, the PS3 goes one step further and streams those videos over the internet to playback on the PSP.  Hmm, sling-box like functionality.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 01:31:29 pm by dbadave » Logged
1_blue_pixel
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:33:24 pm »

Nice update dbadave! Always good to hear some general Neuros Recorder II news.... even if it isn't a problem.

Interesting to hear your PS3 use with it too, I wondered how compatible it was. Cool.

I'm also using FW 5.03 on my PSP, though I used a PSP with older FW to format my memory stick, so they'd have those folders. I don't pop my memory stick directly from my Neuros to my PSP, I use a PC to transfer the files. But I recall, as soon as I'd put a memory stick or CF card into the Neuros it would put the 101MNV01 folder onto it automatically. It might not if there's no MP-ROOT folder I suppose....

But because I transfer files via card reader + PC, I've been putting my Neuros recordings in the VIDEO folder, creating subfolders for them.
dbadave

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 08:30:20 pm »

My PS3 has definately extended the MP4R2 purpose & usefulness.  First, let me say that I was never really impressed with the MP4R2 playback quality of videos (640x480 super-fine) on my flatscreen Standard Definition TV.  I know I reported that on my first post to the forum - but that I wasn't upset by that because I really bought the unit for playback on my PSP.  It did then and still does total rock at doing that!  Recordings made at setting looks accepted when I playback on my computer but I rarely do that.

But then I bought a PS3.  Now I record 640x480 at super-fine and then copy the files to my PS3 HDD.  The playback over HDMI to my HDTV looks good, better than when I use the MP4R2 to playback to my SDTV, but I still found myself thinking the downward video compression took to much of the goodness away to be played back on large screen (bigger than the PSP screen.)  Then, on hunch, I plugged the old PS2 video SCART cable into my PS3, plug the composite RCA's (yellow,white,red) into my SDTV and changed the PS3 video/audio output settings to 480i.  OMG, it seems to me the video quality is much closer to the DVD level, the source level used to make the recordings in the first place.

So my opinion of the MP4R2 is that it's a better at encoding/recording video than it is at playback which I'm okay with escpecially now that I have a device that plays back 640x480 recording files at near DVD quality.  I couldn't be more thrilled and satisfied with my purchase.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: