August 16, 2017, 10:12:25 am
News:
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Attention: 1.2.2 Firmware release & Online updates (Where did MythTV go?)  (Read 11262 times)
crweb
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2009, 01:25:46 pm »

There have been some big changes going down in the default installation of Link software.  After updating this week you may suddenly notice that MythTV has been removed from your system.  Unfortunately this is a side effect of software dependencies.  We have recently moved to including XBMC as the default media center software and when we did so MythTV became no longer depended on by our desktop so it is automatically removed from your system.  Have no fear though, if you are a MythTV user or you want to be a MythTV user, it is still completely usable if you manually reinstall it!

We are sorry for the inconvenience this might cause some users but rest assured that we would never block you from running the software *you* want to run.  Sometimes the automatically installed packages will change.

To Reinstall MythTV you can use the package manager GUI to reinstall and remove the software or on command line:

sudo apt-get install mythtv
acarr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 12:09:44 pm »

OK, so noted...

I've got a hard drive in my Link, and I use primarily stored video. I'm about to do the big update, and it sounds like I need to make sure I reinstall mythtv. Thanks for the heads-up.

If I do the apt-get, am I getting the version from the neuros repo, or the generic ubuntu version? The only reason I care is that I want to make sure the theme is available. I like that theme better than most of the others.

On another note, although I like XBMC more in that it plays in a window while I browse the menus, etc, it does seem to hang more. I have tried it, and we went back to mythtv for generic TV watching. The couple of hangs are significant.

One other question for you, although perhaps this needs a new thread:
XBMC as installed does fine as a computer-based GUI on my media. Unfortunately, from my couch (the mythical 10' away), the text is unreadably small. Is there a theme that provides better readability, or a setting somewhere? I think the UI readability and complexity was the reason we went back to mythtv. If not, then I question the point of using it.

I like the UPNP client, which is an improvement over Myth as installed. That opens up some options.

Cheers.
greyback
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 07:47:58 am »

I really like the Team Razorfish theme. I find the text is a better size, and it's pretty. I find it hangs for a second or two occasionally too, but most annoyingly the End key (beside the up arrow) quits XBMC, and I often hit it accidentally. I'd to edit the keybindings to get rid of this.

I'm guessing the mythtv version you get is the Neuros customized one.
-G
crweb
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 03:40:51 pm »

The mythtv from the neuros repo would be installed.  You can get the neuros theme by:

sudo apt-get install mythtv-theme-neuroslink
leeflowers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:20:07 pm »

can we just update with the UPDATE icone on the desktop, if we already have 1.2.1, or do we need to reflash the stick?
alphakamp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 11:36:03 pm »

I did this update, but have a few questions. How can I be sure what firmware I'm on. And how do make xbmc fullscreen?
mammlouk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 08:12:09 pm »

I also recommend the MediaStream theme for XBMC.  It's a very beautiful and legible theme for a large HDTV.  I have a 52" Samsung and it is exquisite at 1080p, especially library mode with Fanart!

alphakamp - to enable fullscreen in XBMC go to settings > appearance > screen.  There you can set resolution, fullscreen, etc.
JawsThemeSwimming428

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:23:43 pm »

I did this update, but have a few questions. How can I be sure what firmware I'm on. And how do make xbmc fullscreen?

I'm on 1.2.2 and I know this because I went to Applications -> Other and there is an option in there to see what firmware version you are on. I don't remember if that was there on 1.2.1. Not on my Link right now so I can't confirm.
alphakamp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 02:34:12 pm »

I found out both those solutions on my own, but thank you for your replies
jclark

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 08:42:19 pm »

So I haven't been using my link much lately ( running your distro at least ), and went and did some updates.

First off, I want to thank the neuros guys ( crweb in this case ) for preemptively posting this.

So I installed mythtv-frontend, and remembered to remove the commented out section in /usr/share/mythtv/library.xml  After that it found my backend and gave me the recorded program listings, which was great, ... but ...

The playback on it shows the video twice ( stacked vertically ).  This is something that it used to do, and I was sort of hoping that this problem was gone by now.  I have been running mythbuntu 9.x on it with no problems, so I was surprised by this continuing problem.  I am going to go back and run mythbuntu for a while and check back on this when I have time to play with it some more.
jclark

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 06:34:05 pm »

OK, I figured out the double image problem in mythtv.  My TV is only 1080i, but I run my neuros at 720p.  Myth detects the display mode as interlaced based on the hardware, not checking the mode being used.  Apparently the vertically stacked image is specific to fglrx.

I played with xbmc, it is the most polished looking linux app I have ever run, but I was not happy with the playback at least compared to mythtv.  I am guessing that could be tweaked to run better, but I wasn't up for the time commitment to figure it out ( at least today ).
jclark

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 05:53:17 pm »

I want to say thanks to the Neuros guys for turning me on to xbmc.  I have been using mythtv for a couple of years now, and I have to say that xbmc is a better frontend for mythtv than the mythfrontend is.  The config for using it with my mythtv backend was trivial.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Xbox_Frontend#Running_XBMC_with_native_MythTV_Support

The player does some light tearing with the mpeg2 files from my old hauppauge 250 ( analog ntsc ), but the stuff from my pchdtv-5500 (atsc) cards play almost perfect on it, as do the mpeg4 files that I keep my videos in.

I am very impressed with xbmc, it has a simple interface, looks good, and works very well.  It is also available for nearly any platform ( I have tested it on Vista, Linux, and Mac ).

It is really nice to see how much the link has evolved in the last few months.
Thanks again guys.
JoeBorn
Neuros Audio Team
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 09:30:20 pm »

I have been using mythtv for a couple of years now, and I have to say that xbmc is a better frontend for mythtv than the mythfrontend is.  The config for using it with my mythtv backend was trivial.

This is really music to my ears, pardon my ignorance, but how does xbmc render the myth recordings, does it bring in metadata like it does for movies, etc?  I know myth has a special file folder/naming convention that allows it to do that for smb shared stuff, but I'm not clear what it looks like for what you are doing.

jborn (at) neurostechnology.com
#neuros on freenode.net
jclark

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 10:09:35 am »

It does the metadata based on the program info in the myth backend.  If there is a long description it will even show that both when browsing and on the info panel in the player.

The way I use it for TV is to access
'videos' -> 'browse' -> mythbox ( or whatever you named the myth source ) -> 'recordings by title'

At this point it treats each title as a folder, and the shows are contained in it.  So this weekend I watched the last 7 episodes of "Burn Notice".  It will even let you build a queue of shows to watch.   I have yet to find a way to delete watched programs, but I can do that over the web interface to mythtv.

In addition to the 'recordings by title', it also gives you 'all recordings', 'guide', and 'live channels'.  So I can use a tuner hooked into my myth backend and watch it on xbmc.  The channel list even shows what is currently on, and the guide is by time or channel.

The myth specific stuff is only for "recordings".  I use a smb mount ( from the same myth backend ) for my "videos" and import the movie metadata for those whenever I add new material.  I am sure there is a way to automate this, but I am still getting xbmc figured out.
JoeBorn
Neuros Audio Team
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 11:35:17 pm »

The myth specific stuff is only for "recordings".  I use a smb mount ( from the same myth backend ) for my "videos" and import the movie metadata for those whenever I add new material.  I am sure there is a way to automate this, but I am still getting xbmc figured out.
first you have to set the media type by folder:

right click on a folder that contains videos or music and "set media" and set it to the appropriate kind of media.

then in video>settings>library

make sure "enable library" is checked and "update library on startup"

and you should be in good shape

jborn (at) neurostechnology.com
#neuros on freenode.net
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: